HybridZ

Nissan 5.6ltr V8 and ITB's

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sure you know he has bought another 951, a yellow one. He has a 3.0L he is going to de-stroke to a 2.7 and hopefully he will get a set of ITBs. It would help that car greatly.

Actually, do you know of an old Z around here that has good rear fenders? I need them for the fairlady, they are all bondo :-(.

Kris~

I know where 2 240Z's are I am not sure the condition of the Rear Quarters, as both have some major rust! Both are with in a 2 miles of the Shop in Freeport! If you can get 2 good Qtrs out of both the Cars all I want is the Drive Train from both of them! Give me a Call on the Extrudabody Office number!

Kevin

50mm Throttle Bodies = an On/Off Switch for a Throttle, if you are drag racing the Car then yes "Bigger is Better". When you take into consideration Off Idle street driving or trying to modulate a throttle in Traffic then 50mm is not your answer!

In every engine there are compromises! When you realize that a throttle plate that is 45mm +/-.000" and a Throttle Bore that is 45mm plus .004" of an inch larger than it's plate "WILL NOT" idle below 1500 rpm! So if .004" gap between a throttle plate and the bore produces 1500 plus rpm, what happens when you crack the throttle? Now amplify this with a 50mm throttle plates per cylinder and you soon realize how critical plate size becomes to tip in driving and throttle modulation!

Now you've really got me confused. As you know, my intention is to place these larger 50mm TB onto a V8. The cylinder volume/TB size ratio is larger even for my tiny 4.7L motor (and I want to use these for a 6.3L motor) than it is for the 2.8L using the smaller 45mm. So the above statement only makes sense if I were trying to fit the 50mm TB onto an L28. So...if I understand this correctlly, you are not going to consider applications using cylinder volumes larger than...say 500 cm^3?

I feel that I must not be seeing this correctly, but perhaps you could share with me (us) the airflow increase in the tapered bore ITB verses the constant bore ITB that you offer (both having the 45mm plate using 45mm and 50mm openings.

Blue Ovalz:

We now offer 40mm, 45mm, and 45mm Tapered to 50mm ITB's so a one size fits all statement is not a fair statement!

You are also absolutely correct when you say increasing cubic inches per ITB helps with Tip in and Driveability, but when you look at the ltrs per ITB you are not looking at the entire Picture, runner length, shape, and the effiency of the ports all play a part in drivability as well, and those parameters we can not control.

Please take a Look at this Page: http://www.extrudabody.com/TechInfo/Sizing.html it is based on Plate needs per Hp goals for 4cyl, 6 cyl or 8cyl, it's a loose fitting reccomendation for throttle plates based on info we have collected over the last 3 yrs!

If you ask Bob Ream at Imagine Injection what size Throttle Plate he reccommends for "Street Driven" Small Block V8 Motors he will tell you 45mm, he builds 48mm because that's what sells! If Nissan built a Normally Aspirated Motor in the 2.6ltr range I would bet good money they would chose 40mm instead of 45mm to take advantage of the Velocity effect!

We can build up to a 48mm ITB now, and 54mm ITB with a Revision to our current ITB Extrusion DIE, just not sure we want to at this time! We are not disputing the throttle plate size for a particular HP goal, only for Driveability!

Kevin

Hey Blue Ovalz:

Thanks for the kudo! :)

If you will look at the Close up of the picture with the Stock Manifold, it's kinda hard to see, but you can see the Taper..... it extends 25mm into the Bore, and those Air horns are 50mm ID with a 1/2" Radius! The ITB is 75mm Long, so it tapers down from 50mm horn to 45mm bore and plates 25mm in the ITB!

Basically you have a 59.5mm long iTB and a 50mm 1.11 ratio Velocity Stack that is 34.5mm long! Total Length is 94mm Long!

l_d0fa5ccfa193804c0d60e56906f244bb.jpg

Hope that helps!

Kevin

• 1 month later...
Please tell me you have some of these setups for a VH45...oh please oh please :)

I am going to put one in an S14 (sold my S30, had too many cars unfortunately) and want to ditch the stock intake.

We do not have any at this time, but anything is possible! Send me some Photos of the Head Intake Ports to kthornton@extrudabody.com

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Well Joe is working out the rest of the Clutch install so it can be mated directly to a 6 speed box using a Clutchmasters, twin disk clutch! see below!

Auto Flex plate is for the Titan. It is a special flywheel. But it is a simple unit. It deletes the starter ring gear and trigger wheel. It is designed to be used with the G35/350z. The twin plate design is made so that you are supposed to use the G35 auto flex plate. We are simply swapping it with the Titan one so that we can pick up trigger for the V8 instead of the V6. Joe"

Hope that helps!

Kevin

Thanks for the Kind words Evan!

We can design just about anything on a custom Basis, but need to build 10 of them to make the CNC Machine happy, or should I say Owner of the CNC Machine!

If anyone has a CNC project or is in need of CAD Design work, and it can benefit the Group then by all means drop me a line! I will look at it and give my opinion!

Free lance design work is fun to me, if I have the time!

Thanks!

Kevin

Thanks for the Kind words Evan!

We can design just about anything on a custom Basis, but need to build 10 of them to make the CNC Machine happy, or should I say Owner of the CNC Machine!

If anyone has a CNC project or is in need of CAD Design work, and it can benefit the Group then by all means drop me a line! I will look at it and give my opinion!

Free lance design work is fun to me, if I have the time!

Thanks!

Kevin

i will need help with this build

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130839

Thanks For the Interest!

Joe is working out all those details now! It will be a complete package or buy it in parts as the customer sees fit!

Our Main Goal here is trying to gather or Judge Interest!!!!!!!!! Without lots of interest, we will just leave it alone, lot's of R&D costs here and MAINLY Tooling to consider if we produce it or NOT!

so you may want to spread the word!

Thanks!

Kevin