HybridZ

Hardbody Z

91hbz

Hello all! Im new to this forum and i guess im here looking for some help on my swap. Ive been doing my research on the swap for about 3months now and have found some info on it but not enough. Ive found only three people who have done the Vg30et swap into a hardbody and only two of them have i seen pics for. (1) Purple Dinosaur, (2) NismoPu: which i think his was a 720 (3) and this guy with the sn Phram1 on another site. I guess what im getting to is if you guys have any useful info id greatly appreciate it. I currently have:

*91 reg cab ka24e manual (already pulled motor, tranny, harness out)

*87 300zx turbo vg30et manual (already dropped subframe with motor, tranny, harness, driveshaft, ecu, basically everything from the seats up)

(correct me if im wrong on any of this plz)

(and keep in mind i know little to nothing about turbos)

Ok so far ive heard from Purple that the motor itself will drop in with the use of the 300zx mount on drive side and modifing the passanger side mount. Ok question? Im pretty sure they didn't produce a reg cab with a v6; so assuming there wasn't the 300zx motor mount will bolt directly to 4cyl frame? Also he said something about flipping and welding in the passanger mount. Would this be telling me to cut the mount from the frame previously occupied by the 4cyl and weld in the subframe mount off of the 300zx?

Ok next ive come to the conclusion from everyones input that the firewall will have to be modified due to the rear cross exhaust which i had been wondering about when doing some approximate measurements of the engine bay and donor motor. I plan on using the 300zx tranny which i think Purple had used prior to his auto tranny. My question is will any modification be needed to the fire wall to accept the 300zx tranny? It appears that the bellhousing on the 300zx is slightly larger than the hardbody bellhousing, but that was just with me eyeballing it. Also the 300 tranny is obviously longer than the hardbody tranny. Im assuming a new tranny crossmember is in order but my question is how far back if any will that put the shifter? I plan on eventually putting bucket seats in the truck, but for the time being will it work with the bench? Is it a comfortable shifting experience or would i have to become a contorsionist to shift the thing? Last question. On the firewall up near the hood where the hard brake lines are, will the plenum clear them and firewall? Phram1 said something about he had to use a maxima plenum with the intake piping up front to clear. While i see Purple with the stock plenum still on?

Ok next is concerning the turbo. By just looking at Purple's pics and the lil bit of info ive seen on his post he has the exact set up as a 300zx turbo in the truck. But Phram1 insists that the turbo set up will not work in the truck. Ok Purple said something about having to relocate the wastegate into the wheel well. Ok looking at the turbo setup itself the wastegate would be on the exhaust side correct, and the actual turbo would be the part that has the aluminum finish look to it containing the vains? Ive never really took one apart so im not sure if the other has vanes in it or not. Would anyone have pics of relocating the wastegate and not the "turbo"? ive never seen the two components apart from eachother. What problems would i run into trying to do this? Any extra parts i would need to get? Phram1 said it was must to relocate the complete turbo set up to the top of the engine bay? Would doing this require me to route exhaust up into the engine bay and then back down? Id rather do Purples set up but im not sure on which would be easier, along with more pro's than con's to each. What would be needed for either?

I know its alot but id like to get as much info as possible before actually proceeding further. Any info would help? Anything i should look out for problem wise when doing the swap?

thnx

I have taken lots of pics on this swap and been trying to document this swap as best that I can. I reccomend alot of things after doing this swap and none of them are quick deals either. By chance what month was the car manufactured? I am really interested in the differential if its an LSD car. check out my build thread here, http://nissancustoms.com/showthread.php?t=6309

ok i see that the passanger side stays the same. the driver side on the other hand im still confused about and concerned aswell. Im not sure if my wording is correct so correct me if im wrong. on the driver side of the 300 block, the metal bracket appears to be unchanged. You removed the bushing thing inbetween it and the frame. Wouldn't that put alot of stress on that mount that is welded to the frame due to the other side being able to move slightly? also what exactly was welded to the driver side frame? is that a bracket like the one connected to the block just upside down to accept the bracket from the block? or is it from the subframe of the zx? Is there clearance to add the bushing inbetween the two if the welded on mount was moved down a little bit?

your correct it is the same as the block mount flipped upside down and welded to the frame. No its not gonna cause anything to break because I have owned cars with solid engine mounts and built some with solid engine mounts. No one ever has complained about breakage and or excessive vibration, except maybe a FWD. We put solid mounts on a friends altima once and it seemed to transmit more engine noise but it wasnt annoying, besides if your building something like this its just gonna be a toy anyway.

The passenger mounts stays right where it is if your going to relocate the alternator like we are. I wanted to go to a higher amperage chevy alt. with this build and the passenger mount gets in the way. Now, if you dont wanna do that then use a modified 300zx mount. Its totally up to you how you wanna do that. The turbo obviously clears the frame rails but not with a whole bunch of room to spare. I have pics of how we relocated the wastegate but I dont remember if i uploaded them yet. I can send you a modified wastegate when the time comes if you like along with a relocated alt. bracket. and when the time comes dimensions for the FMIC setup we have. These engines make 300whp reliably with a stock turbo and with these light pickups thats enough for some serious fun. I am not keeping the passenger mount a rubber unit much longer, it is merely there to see how things fit and to get the truck running. Believe me when more money gets spent I am gonna go back through the whole truck and re-do alot of things I dont like. #1 I dont like the look of bashed firewalls when sheetmetal is just as easy to weld in but its what I had to deal with. Anyway, shoot me some PM's or whatever and I can walk you through up to getting it running. peace.

ok, i'll hit you up soon. Im gonna start workin on setting the motor in and dealing with the firewall to begin with. Im with you on the bashing so i guess ill pull out the body saw hehe and do a lil firewall fab. Not sure on what im gonna do yet about the mounts but thank you very much for the input. i think ima go ahead and try the solid mount idea and see where that gets me.

nice set up, looks like you swapped plenums and relocated the turbo. Pathfinder plenum? I think the maxima plenums look almost identical to the 300 except the inlet is up front i believe. You got any other pics as far as the mounts go? And was yours originally equipped with the vg? Did you have any problems with the crossover pipe with your set up?

It looks to me like its a stock pathy setup to me with no crossover pipe because it looks like two pipes are supposed to go into the turbo inlet?

When did you start this project because I have never scene it before. Also I was thinking since all fs5r30a tranny's are 29.5 inches long all you would need is a v6 driveshaft from a pickup. Let me know if you still have access to the rear end out of that z as well. peace.

Yes i still have the rear end from the z. its still sittin under the car. And what was that about trannys? the z tranny is longer than the v6 hb tranny isn't it? i could be wrong but it looks to be about 6 inches or so longer. theres a place here in town that will make me a new one for 35bucks with my discount. didn't sound to bad. they just said i had to bring both driveshafts in so they could use the ends off of each. since you said something about diffs i was wondering if the rear axle from a 4x4 pathy was the same width as mine?

the pathy lsd axle is 5/8" wider but long as you weld on the new 2wd perches in the same spot as your HB's you prolly wont notice it too much. Long as it was an 87 built around april then it will have the r30a which is the same length as all the others. At least thats been my experience that all are the same length. Run a tape on it and let me know but I am pretty sure its about 29.5" long which if it is you just need a v6 pickup drivshaft. If it turns out to be a 4/87 car I will make all the parts for ya and source you an axle from a pathy with 2wd perches for that rear end. Every single time one comes around I miss out on it and its not happening again. peace.

i have no use for the 300 rear end so that'd be fine. im still a bit confused on the pathy rear end thou. i understand that the lsd version is a tid bit longer which i can live with. but ive been told that the lsd sa with rear rotors was optional and not standard. What year pathy would that set up be in and how could i tell the difference. Are you converting to irs? that why you've been out for a lsd 300 rear?

i also saw you are using a hardbody tranny from a v6 im assuming. Have you heard of anyone using the 300 tranny? if its the same like your saying this swap would be a cake walk in a stock v6 hardbody. Ok come to think of it why would we have to mod the firewall if the v6 vg is the same block as the 300? wouldn't the crossover be the same on both or not. never seen the back side of a v6 hb/pathy

trucks dont use a crossover pipe they use manifolds for each side as does the older 200sx(right wheel drive). So, your truck was a v6, or am I missing something?

No I want the rear end for my Z car that I am building but, I only want it if its an LSD.

The pathy rear end thing has always kind of conused me, nissan never made an LSD vehicle in america until 4/87 that includes the entire nissan line. Theres however NO real indicators that I know of as to how they got discs, I have seen them as early as 87 and I have seen a 96 with drums. So, far as junkyard hunting goes its kind of a gamble, and some 4x4 pickups as well. The 4x4 pickup ones are a very different h233b rear end and use like 13 bolts on the third member plus a different brake setup. My friend just recently swapped out his 4x4 h233b for the pathy lSD and it was quite a pain setting up the ebrake. Anyway, let me know if ya got any more queries. peace.

yeah i saw the one guy that did the sa swap in the rear with the 4x4 axle. But from what i hear they only had discs on the 4x4 axle. was just wondering if there where any indicators as to lsd or not. i guess ill have to take some vins to the dealer and see if they came equipped or not. as far as my 300 rear end im assuming since i have no indicators to it being lsd or not ill try to find out that from the dealer aswell.

Ok so if there is no cross over pipe on the v6 pathy/hb then where on the body do they reconnect? Ive never seen a stock duel exhaust on one. so the exhaust set up from a vg30e and a vg30et in a 300zx as far as the exhaust manifolds are concerned are different than the vg's that are in trucks? is this crossover pipe in both turbo and non turbo 300zx's? or just on the turbo models for more exhaust flow to the turbo?

the crossover pipe is on all models of 300zx na or turbo but the drivers side manifold is the only one thats different.

The pathy LSD will have a tag on the back of it but I was just saying it doesnt seem to be model or package dependent. It will be a small bright orange tag on the backside of the pumkin.

Far as the truck exhaust goes, it reconnects under the engine in between the tranny.

Far as the 300zx LSD goes the manufacturers tag will tell you when the car was built inside the drivers door jam. Also, if the rear end cover is finned aluminum that will tell you if its LSD or not. peace.

nice set up, looks like you swapped plenums and relocated the turbo. Pathfinder plenum? I think the maxima plenums look almost identical to the 300 except the inlet is up front i believe. You got any other pics as far as the mounts go? And was yours originally equipped with the vg? Did you have any problems with the crossover pipe with your set up?

it's a 87 pathfinder with a 84 Vg30et engine. Upper plenum has been swapped for a 90+ multi port Pathy plenum. No mount pics but it's stock (it was originally a VG) I had to drill and tap a extra bolt hole on the turbo block. No big deal though. The crossover runs under the tranny, alot of work to make everything fit. The crossover and DP are like a slippery snake.

Thank you for the feedback. I think it might have been a bit easier if mine had come stock with a vg. But from what ive gathered it'll just be a lil bit more work, plus id rather have the pipe run over the tranny due to ground clearance issues. Oh and by the way i took a look at the rear end of the 300 and it does have the little vent fin things on it. ill guess ill post some pics when i get some of the work done. again thank you. and hit me up whenever about the rear. later