HybridZ

Can I just cut the springs??

I agree with Jon(cut the bottom), although if you have aftermarket springs don't they already lower the car? I also put urathane bump stops in at this point, its a life saver on pot holes. My Z still has a way smoother ride than my Honda Fit with 17" wheels and 45 series tires.

I'm guessing here...

With a progressive rate spring I think you would be better off cutting the top coil(s). It would have a much smaller affect on spring rate. You would have to cut more coils to get x amount of drop.

I'm guessing here...

With a progressive rate spring I think you would be better off cutting the top coil(s). It would have a much smaller affect on spring rate. You would have to cut more coils to get x amount of drop.

Speculating back atcha: If you want to drop the car just a little bit, you can do it by cutting one coil off the bottom vs let's say 3 or 4 off the top. Yes cutting the bottom will make a difference in the spring rate but I don't think it will change it as much as cutting the top, since you'd be removing more coils at the top and taking away more of the lighter spring rate. Best thing to do would be to do the math like Dan did, and figure out how much the spring rate will actually change. I'll leave that job to someone else.

Speculating back atcha: If you want to drop the car just a little bit, you can do it by cutting one coil off the bottom vs let's say 3 or 4 off the top. Yes cutting the bottom will make a difference in the spring rate but I don't think it will change it as much as cutting the top, since you'd be removing more coils at the top and taking away more of the lighter spring rate. Best thing to do would be to do the math like Dan did, and figure out how much the spring rate will actually change. I'll leave that job to someone else.

When cutting the tighter wound coils off, you will raise the spring rate more than cutting the looser wound coils. In fact cutting the looser wound coils could make for a softer spring than desired.

Most people would say to not cut progressive springs because of the possible drastic change in spring rate. If it were me I would cut the tighter wound coils, and raise the spring rate as much as possible.

There is a way to calculate the spring rate of a consistant wound spring, with simple measurements and the proper formula. I have found it to be very accurate as well.

Since some said cutting top or bottom will have effect of their own, I assume it doesn't matter which side to cut. Both side will allow the spring to sit in the perch just fine. Am I correct here?

I will cut 1/2 coil of the lesser wound to see if I get the desired level. I have eibach by the way. Please tell me if that's a go. I am not a cutting springs guru, but some of you sure knows your technique in doing this. Please advise.

Thank you much

Since some said cutting top or bottom will have effect of their own, I assume it doesn't matter which side to cut. Both side will allow the spring to sit in the perch just fine. Am I correct here?

I will cut 1/2 coil of the lesser wound to see if I get the desired level. I have eibach by the way. Please tell me if that's a go. I am not a cutting springs guru, but some of you sure knows your technique in doing this. Please advise.

Thank you much

I wouldn't go on that latter discussin in this thread as to which end would be fine to cut as far as sitting in the perch properly.

The latter discussion about the effects of cutting each end of a progessive would spring were mearly that, what effect on spring rate would have, and is not an indication of the spring perch on an S30.

You will have to determine which end can be cut when you pull them out.

I have had to cut all 3 different brands of aftermarket lowering springs that I have put on my 72. Just to get the car to sit correctly as none of them lowered the car enough for my liking. They were just barely lower than stock when installed and the front sat too high. Another method of cutting I used last time was I put a cutting abrasive disc on my Dremel tool. It worked great and was faster than the hacksaw. Just a tip if you do not have the larger power cutting tools.

• 2 weeks later...

On OEM springs, cut from the top. I ran that way on street and track for years and years...uhmmm I still am actually. Chevette springs in back, and stock cut rears in front. (BTW don't use my example, as I no longer have a heavy L6 under the hood, so I'm on my own for spring combo's) Chevette springs all around work well on a milder s30. ( i don't have the details handy on the chevette springs, because I did them so many years ago I can't remember)

Search for it in the forums.