HybridZ

Welding Class - Final Project - L Intake Manifold

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive mentioned this before but if you want CHEAP good quality mandrel bends in Aluminum, SS, or ALuminized go here:

http://www.globaltecheng.com/ProductCart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=65&pageStyle=H

They only have 90's though in 6061 aluminum of that size but they are 7 bucks each. You can weld them and be good to go. I used their bends on my i/c kit and they were very nice.; easily weldable, good quality.

PS. they have mandrel bend up to 8" in aluminum!!!!!!!!!

thanks Austin..

I turned in my project for classes yesterday and got an A on the project... which is good LoL

I unfortunately no longer have access to a tig or aluminum chop saw.. (*cough* unless Austin wants to fire up his tig)

I think I may just polish the intake.. and get some polished stainless steel u bends which is fairly cheap and attach them with silicone couplers =)

They have these things called Donuts.. heres one in stainless. you could chop them in half and have a tight radious 90. maybe get in touch with this distributer and see if they have them in aluminum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stainless-exhaust-donut_W0QQitemZ120197020294QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34284QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And congrats Ryan!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good so far, and 'grats on the A.

Just wanted to point out that your resonace and also effective peak pwer RPM has changed with the addition of the 180* bends. The calculation is from intake valve to plenum, more specifically half way through the radius on the bell mouths (for some reason the proper name eludes me right now, probably due to this head cold I have.), for a constant radius mouth. With that radius being what looks to be less than 1/2" probably around 3/8", the effective port length ends 1/4" to 3/16" down from the end of the mouths, if you were to place a ruler accross them.

I'm sure you've realized this, you just haven't posted about the effective changes that I had seen and you seemed to post abot any small change, and it's effects. :)

hey pro'x

I think the calculation for the tuned runner length is from valve head to runner inlet, so that would mean where it first hit's a larger air space in comparison to the runner diameter or volume. the plenum exit (where the runner starts) would be where the measurement starts from.

Is that what you did? In this case, you would have had to calculate passed your curve in the runners and up into where they touch the plenum, because it's still part of the small diameter runner.

The calculation is from the Center of the Intake Valve to the Throttle body..

I dont believe the length from the plenum to the throttle body would make much of a difference.. thats like extending my intercooler piping a few feet longer

The length IS actually to the plenum. Or in the case of people using only velocity stacks, to end of the stack (actually the middle of the raduis).

Once the throttle is wide open, the TB is taken out of the equasion.

A very good article on induction design.

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/tech/inductionsystems.pdf

There are more but I don't have links at the moment, as most I've read were in actual paper based books. :)

You mean the raduis at the end if the velocity stacks?

You would take half the diameter of the radius, and subtract that from the total length, that is if you measured all the way to the end of the opening of the velocity stack, subtract half the raduis.

For the small radii used in something like this it's only a change of usually about 1/4", when a 1/2" radius is used, which seems to be able average. Some of the more costly manifolds or the stack type intakes, that don't use a plenum I see upwards of about 1" radius, where that measurement might be a bit more critical.

• 5 months later...