HybridZ

302 drivers side header prob/question

premo-s12

the car is my 87 s12/200sx. it was previously VG equiped but its now packing heat hehe. I'm an exhaust and tail shaft away from ripping up some tires and need some outside the box ideas..

I'm sure you guys (namely Z31 guys) have run into this prob if you've don't a 302 swap..what did you do about the drivers side header? I can't seem to find one that will clear the steering linkage and I can't seem to get enough u-joints to clear my mac shorty header. it looks like a 4.6 header is spot on where I need my runners to go but that obviously won't fit.. I tried welding up some shaft and u-joints but couldn't get em to turn tight enough where I wouldn't have to cut into the strut tower. raising the motor isn't an option either as I don't have room. I already had to cut the firewall to fit the trans. I can weld up a new header, that's not a prob, but I'd like to just bolt one on. anyone have any ideas? or possibly where I can find some pre-bent/made flanges/tubes for this? modifying the header I have now would be cake, but I don't have access to a tube bender as my buddies shop has been evacuated due to the huge fire in san diego

thanks in advance

i'm not sure how they would fit your 200sx but i'm running headman tri-y headeres (standard 289/302 headers) that i bought off e-bay for $147. they seem to do the trick although they seem a bit narrower (smaller diameter) than those (custom ones) in my other thread "Dart Block...".

yea, neither of those would work. id need something like this

fms-m-9430-e462_w.jpg

or this

fms-m-9430-s197c_w.jpg

as its a very snug fit. sadly though, those are for a 4.6. i might go over to the autozone today though and have a gander at some exhaust manifolds and see if they holes (not bolt holes) are even in teh ball park and if they are then ill buy a set of these and a 5.0 flange. somehow i doubt it thought and think ill end up modifying my short header. thats actually probably what ill do as it fits in tehre perfectly and will make it so i can still use a 5.0 h-pipe

I would buy the parts to DIY if it is that hard. Then if I didn't know how to weld it that well (which i don't), I'd take it to a reputable exhaust shop. In either case your going to need custom exhaut work to route that sucker back down if you go for those up high manifolds. Might as well get it done with.

you know..the more I think about it it'll probably be easier and more cost effective to modify my mac shorty headers to fit. its really just that first/longest runner that's the prob (cyl1) as it hits the linkage. the others appear to be ok. they also put the flange in the perfect location for a foxbody H-pipe. I think the fires cleared enough for the roads to open to my buddies shop so I can use his tube bender..ill have to call him. as far as welding goes, I'm a good welder. hell, I made the custom mounts for the motor and trans.. I guess I as sorta hoping someone knew of a header like those ones I just posted pics of.

thats what i have right now, mac shorty for stock foxbody replacement. still no go. ive been wandering around the yard twice though the past month and havent found jack. all i see are 4.6's, 5.0 fox bodies (which wont work), v6's and 4 cyl's. i dont think anything will have a header like what i posted below and from what i can tell online (been looking on ebay among others) the only other option is a stock manfold and id rather pass on that.. oh well, ill just modify this to work, no worries :)

near 4 hrs of cutting, welding and cleaning etc = a header that still doesn't work. dammit lol I moved the one runner and it turns out the stupid flange is still hitting the linkage. ugh. I hate not having a 240V hookup in the garage where the car is. anyways, I think at this point I'm gonna flip these puppies around so they're pointed forwards and down and run them over and under the crossmember. I had a look at it last night and it looks like it will work great minus having to relocate the oil filter which is not a big deal. I CAN make a custom header to squeeze thru this small passage by the linkage but god it it close and it looks to be a major PITA getting it right with my welder in another shop some 20 miles away. also its going to be REAL close to the linkage and I'm afraid of it heating up that rubber deal inside as well as the firewall. ill try and get some pics of this by the weekend. but has anyone tried what I'm saying as far as running it forward then under? I honestly don't see the problem. only other option I see aside from just a restrictive manifold are stacks.....sadly I don't have a mullet or handle bar mustache ha ha