HybridZ

Oval tubing?

Zeero

Ok guys, so I searched and came up with that a zx will not accept 3" DP. I was looking around the net for options and came across Dr. Gas oval tubing. Would this work for a DP and full exhaust to help with clearance? Go from round to oval(they have these pre-made) and continue along in oval?

Any input is appreciated!

I was looking for round to oval because I have an exhaust tip that is oval. Trying to find best way to fit.

I have 3" exhaust on my 280zxt. Coming out of the turbo is 2 1/2". But it flares out to 3" and then all the to the back of the car. You should not worry about exhaust clearance on 280ZX because the transmission tunnel is bigger than the earlier Zs. The exhaust runs over the rear crossmember. Not like the earlier Z. You don't need oval pipes for the ZX. Do a search for Jeff P's down pipe.

• 2 months later...
That's why you just cut it up & piece it together all JDM like

That's round tubing they do that to...and unless you are VERY good at sizing, those kind of bends almost always flow poorly due to a reduction in cross section somewhere (usually multiple places) along the "bend".:nono:

It's a function of the culture as well. You got straight tubing, and a chop saw, you can make a bend.

If you have access to mandrel bends for anything, you are better off cutting them and piecing it together as you will have a better 'bend' than making a bend out of angle and wedge-cut straight tubing.

I dropped 1psi of restriction going from my 'JDM' IC Piping to a mandrel-bent set. And that was on tubing that was properly deburred on each weld before going to the next piewedge...

• 4 months later...

I was looking into Oval type tubing and Drgas.com has all the answers. They dont show alot of bends on their site but if you call them they can pretty much do it all. They also have really cool mufflers that are only like 2.5" thick.

• 1 month later...

Here's a link to the oval exhaust system that I built for Zwolf. You will need to scroll down to the 6th post.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117195&highlight=primadonna+exhaust&page=2

Workks great, sounds a little different, and it's Hot. The oval tubing increases the concentration point of heat on the floor boards so it tends to be hotter inside. Oh...get your pocketbook out.