HybridZ

HybridZ custom suspension design thread

Here are some other pictures I have, I do not remember where I got them from but I think they came from Hybridz but I am not sure.

frontsusp1.jpg

frontsusp2.jpg

frontsusp3.jpg

frontsusp4.jpg

Personaly I realy like the potential with this idea although I have a slightly different aproach in my mind for solidly holding everything in place.

Dragonfly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Here are some other pictures I have, I do not remember where I got them from but I think they came from Hybridz but I am not sure.

Actually, they came from my website... its amazing what comes back to haunt you :wink:

that is awful thin metal to hang such a crucial part of your suspension from !! i would defiantly reinforce that

Of course there were provisions, if only in my head, to structurally reinforce... project was shelved before it materialized. There are a number of things 'wrong' with it... I would approach it differently if I were to do it again.

For giggles, here is a 9.5" wheel mounted, that fit 'under' the fender...

SledgeWheelA.jpg

SledgeWheelB.jpg

I've always wanted to investigate an unequal-length front suspension as shown by Dragonfly. My goal was to make it "bolt on" in the sense of welding required reinforcement in place that would not interfere with the OEM set-up, and then bolt on the new set-up. The biggest issue was the upper arm support. I applaud the attempt with backup plates as shown, but I am concerned about the flexing that will take place under braking, and high lateral forces. I am not convinced there is enough support for the upper arms.

My thoughts would be a 2 piece crossmember the bolts onto the OEM holes, but has (per side) and outboard part the bolts to the inboard part, and both of these sandwich the unibody between them. Then these two pieces are attached to the other side two pieces.

• Administrators

I am not convinced there is enough support for the upper arms.

You're right, there isn't. Once again, the pictures, as you see them, are of an incomplete project. It would not work 'as shown'.

Part of the missing piece is the crossmember. Built for a T-Bird Turbo Coupe power rack, it was intended that some of the loads of the upper mounts would be channeled to it (via triangulated tubing), and some of them would be transferred to the rest of the chassis via triangulated tubing. Sort of like a tube frame car, with an underlying unibody. Its clunky at best, but the idea was simply proof of concept.

RackA.jpg

RackB.jpg

RackC.jpg

• Administrators
The thing that I see as a problem with trying to get the wheels further underneath the car is that the frame rail is going to limit the turning radius.

I was able to get a tad more than 30 degrees steering angle (with 255/50/16 tires). Unfortunately, I hadn't built in any real ackerman. If I were doing it now, I would design for ackerman and that would reduce that angle (on the outboard wheel).

I agree with the benefits of a wider track. At the time I was very opposed to flares of any sort. Today... I'd probably consider it.

ron's moving the the right direction it looks like. making a new xmember wouldnt be that bad i wouldnt think. i know some of you guys are fabers so surely we can find a cnc machine or a 3 axis mill or something. if its a must...im gonna use flares. not the really huge ones though

• Administrators
making a new xmember wouldnt be that bad i wouldnt think. i know some of you guys are fabers so surely we can find a cnc machine or a 3 axis mill or something.

The crossmember is quite easy if you're remotely inclined. No CNC anything required... just basic fab tools.

With your tube frame, you have a clean sheet. Now is when it would be prudent to define what you want and stick to it, else it becomes like my project and many others... never finished. Its far to easy to get caught up in exotic, when all you really want is reasonable improvement. If you don't define where to stop... you wont.

boosted, I wanted to comment on your tube frame. I don't want to be too harsh, as I was just torn a new one and treated rather rudely on another forum myself and I really don't want this forum to be as nasty to people trying new things as that other one was to me.

My comments are that it looks like your firewall tubes are pretty small in diameter. A larger diameter tube with a thinner wall thickness might be a better choice. Also this structure should be a single tube with bends rather than 3 separate tubes for strength.

Why do you say that it is necessary to go with rear steer? Achieving 100% Ackerman is not one of my goals. There are many options as far as uprights that will work with a front steer set-up.

The simple answer for rear steer is that it will probably be the only option for getting 100% ackerman steering. To get it in front steer would probably require that you raise the rack to the stop of the a-arm attachment point and that's probably going to be going right through a frame rail.

I don't know how much ackerman is used on the R&S trans-am cars that have a low mounted rack but I can tell you that they have an interesting tie rod. It's sorta S-shaped to allow the wheel to get full lock.

For a car that sees track or autox use 100% ackerman would be a good goal to shoot for. The tires that most of us have access to (slicks, etc.) are all designed to respond well to this.

Cary