HybridZ

z31 strut conversion

Ok i tried the search and came up empty on this so i had to ask.

I have a left and right 88 300z turbo struts in my garage. i still have to go get the steering knuckles and ball joints. but before i do this has anyone ever tried to convert the entire strut over to a 260-280? the top half looks pretty easy. takes the same strut cartridge, and is the same length. just have to cut off the perch for coilovers. the bottem half looked like it would bolt up to the 260 knuckle but was a bit larger. Im Hoping the ball joints between the 300z and 260 are the same size and i can just swap the knuckles around. one thing i saw is if it does work i will have to reverse the sides of the knuckles because the rack is on the backside of the engine member. So .... is it gonna work or am i retracing 1000s of others footprints on this.

thanks rockon.gif

well didnt need a different ball joint after all just needed to shim mine to fit the z31 steering knuckle 222700_00017.jpg222700_00018.jpg

The only amount of work ive done that was hard was cutting the struts. measured and re measured before i cut them and did the cutting with one of those tubing cutters the muffler shops use to cut the tailpipes ( worked but very slow ) 222700_00019.jpg

this pic is of my old strut with the coilover removed and the z31 strut cut and almost ready to weld. i will cut my old (s30) strut and weld the piece so the z31 strut new length will equal the s30 old length. I will be able to use teh s30 coilover i was using before

:D

Actually, it's exactly the opposite. High caster will make the car more stable, but will also make steering effort higher and also tends to transfer more road vibration through to the steering wheel.

You'll find cars that have very high caster angles will always have power steering. Cars with notoriously high caster angles are Mercedes and BMWs.

HTH,

Tim

Ok the struts are insatlled with z 31 rotors and z32 calipers. Only problem now is the tie rod steering arm is too short. Im going to fabricate an arm with spherical rod ends and solid aluminum tube threaded so it will work.

should be done soon.... they are for sure gonna need custom axles. Im gonna have a set made... shouldnt be to hard since they are splined on both ends. Looks like they will have to be shortened atleast an inch on both side. Ive heard you can reverse the cv housings and make them shorter but not sure if its gonna be enough

• 1 month later...

ok on the rears the machining is done and everything is being pressed together after the new longer studs are installed. instead of going with the 300z bearings we went with tapered roller bearing. the housing was machined out and races installed. once i get the housings back ill need to see what length the axles will need to be and then on to the brakes.