HybridZ

Steering pops, wanders while turning

Hey. Just got some new wheels and tires and it's really magnified my steering issues. I just replaced both steering outer tie rod ends, and the problem has persisted. My symptoms:

Eveytime I turn the wheel and back (as if i was on a slalom) I hear a pop from the passesnger's side front. I think it might be either the lower ball joint (under the steering knuckle) or the inner tie rod on the steering rack. This noise only occurs while the car is moving down the road. I cannot recreate it when the car is stationary.

When I'm cruising down the road, and the passenger wheel hits a bump, the steering wheel changes angle a little, like something was just knocked out of alignment. As it roll over things like manhole covers and bumps, the car darts left and right. Sometimes pulling left, and several bumps later, pulling right. I thought it was the tie rod end, so I replaced it, but it still occurs. This leads me to the two things I mentioned earlier.

I think Pusher had a similar issue with his steering (changing angle while driving), but it was never reported what was causing the problem. Any advise would be apreciated. I'll be skipping an autoX to confront this problem unfortunately, so I'd like to be headed in the right direction before tearing things apart.

I have coilovers, sectioned about 1.25 inches. Sportmax 002 16x8 with 225/50 Falkens. I'd say its at least 1.75 inches lower than stock. I'm sure I do have some bumpsteer issues, but I can't remember it being this bad when I had my old 14x7 rims on there, which leads me to believe that something is wearing out. Especially since the steering wheel doesn't come back to center after I hit bumps/go around corners.

Sounds like ball joints to me. If you haven't replaced them yet, do it. In my experience the inner tie rods don't go bad very often. I have yet to acquire a Z that didn't need ball joints. While you're replacing the ball joints you can get a good hold on the tie rod and test the inner, but I doubt that is it.