HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have owned my 240z for 18 1/2 years........have driven coast to coast 13 times.......auto-crossed it approximately 20 times or so, and have about 10 time trials (Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow etc.) on the pedigree. About 500,000 miles are on the clock and I drive it every day. I do about 90% of my own maintenance and have up-graded many of the systems over the years. Never have had a finer car......quite primitive in many ways when compared to the big-buck moderns........but it is'nt any slouch in the performance department. I'll probably still be driving it......when the Mercedes and the M-3s have made acquaintance with the "CRUSHER". John Turner

Have owned my 240z for 18 1/2 years........have driven coast to coast 13 times.......auto-crossed it approximately 20 times or so, and have about 10 time trials (Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow etc.) on the pedigree. About 500,000 miles are on the clock and I drive it every day. I do about 90% of my own maintenance and have up-graded many of the systems over the years. Never have had a finer car......quite primitive in many ways when compared to the big-buck moderns........but it is'nt any slouch in the performance department. I'll probably still be driving it......when the Mercedes and the M-3s have made acquaintance with the "CRUSHER". John Turner

Thats cool!!!

Im in the process of rebuilding my 72 240 for a DD. It seems this "fumes" problem is a common problem I love to drive my z but I like to smell good too, Women dont exactly get weak knees for exhaust fumes and gasoline. lol Is there any way to fix this problem??

Sometimes the fix is worse than the problem. We put a CO sniffer with a stock 240Z to trace the smell. Turns out about 30% of the problem was the seal on the rear taillights. The rest came from all over underneath the car. Almost impossible to seal. So if you have all your seals properly glued in your car (hatch, door, ect) and the rear taillights are good and sealed you have one task left. Take off everything underneath the car and spray a heavy 3m type sealant all over underneath. This is extremely messy so you want everything off first. This solved the majority of the problem; however, having first seen it in the shop I wouldn't do it to my car.

I have put several hundred thousand miles on my various "Z" cars and still drive mine every day. Fender mirrors and whale tales just don't fit these new junkers.

i like to be different than everyone else and my rides are proof of that. Anyone can roll off the lot with that new e30 POS. Noone else around here has this S**T.

Only my 521 gets more looks. probably because it is smaller than anything else out there.

Crash protection.? If you are worried about that than you should Never drive an s30. or ride a bike, or skate board, or leave the house. I prefer to live my life. not fear it.

I used to daily drive this stroker, which I still do occasionally, but it feels slow anymore.

17Wheels002-650x487.jpg

Now I drive this daily, Its a bit more fun to drive.

DSCN1293-600x450.jpg

DSCN1292-600x450.jpg

he Brian ... wrong plate should state 33 ;)

I used to but now it is an shopliftqueen

I was driving my 280Z V8 almost every day until it came off the road for the LT1 swap. It will return to the same status when the project is finished. IMHO there's no point in building the car if I'm not going to drive it.

exactly if you build a project car whats the point in trailering it or never driving it... and you can't count driving it on and off the trailer driving.

i crashed my z. it was a head on collision with a ford ranger. he was going about 40 miles per hour, and i was going about 50. we hit, both cars were toteld, i couldent even get out of my car becouse the doors wouldent open. the seat belts on those cars work well. once i got out (throught the hatch) i felt fine the car protected me perfectly. as long as you get hit and not go under, you should be ok.

12-21-05_1546.jpg

Well, not daily, but regularly. We have snow around here in the winter! Just got back from a final track day. 150+ mile one way. Fun to beat the trailer queens and then drive home. A 383 solid roller carb'd 6 speed knocking down 22 mpg.. at lets just say well over 80 mph. AFR cruise readings were 14-15:1 which keep the fumes to a minimum as well. 7+ years on the V8 now, just performed a leakdown worst cylinder was 3%! Reliable? Good as your effort putting together. No techno marvel, just good parts. No other car can give you the sensation and hands on feedback of the early Z. Long live the Hybrid that gets driven!

zzz054.jpg

I used to drive my 280ZX Turbo everyday even through the Colorado snow and ice! I did this for a few years and decided it was too nice, so I bought an AMG Benz to do that..LOL!

I recently picked up a '78 280Z, which I drove everyday for a few weeks this summer. The fumes are a big problem for sure, I will definitely look into the rear tail light seals and I have few mother nature inspired holes to address on the car's underside. The car will be under construction for a while!

Yasin

i crashed my z. it was a head on collision with a ford ranger. he was going about 40 miles per hour, and i was going about 50. we hit, both cars were toteld, i couldent even get out of my car becouse the doors wouldent open. the seat belts on those cars work well. once i got out (throught the hatch) i felt fine the car protected me perfectly. as long as you get hit and not go under, you should be ok.

12-21-05_1546.jpg

Glad you are okay, but you got very lucky and are the exception not the rule. More often than not in a wreck like yours an injury occurs.

I daily drive my 73 L28ETmsns-e

I have no gas cap, no side view mirror, and no bumpers. EDIT: Bone stock suspension installed in '72 is still installed.

I'm right now in the process of shaving the bumper slots so as to not get a tickie for it, I've filled in the holes for the mirror (the screws were ripped out) so I can reinstall it today, the next time I go to the junkyard, I get a gas cap and maybe I won't smell so bad.

I love my car too fuckin much to not drive it. I kiss it every chance I get, and a tear comes to my eye when I think about how much we've been through together.

My 280zxt used to be my dd, but when the l24 in this went tits up, I swapped. my parents have since made me have the s130 towed because i couldn't sell it. Whiteside autowreckers came to pick it up, and I cried for a whole day afterwards.

I daily drive my z.