HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm maybe going 155 mph will damage the diff, stock clutch, and transmissions, and blow up the motor LOL

Well a clutch takes 4 hours to switch tranny takes 3 to 4 hours... motor is a 7 hour job... These cars are easy to work on and in my book its been reliable for how hard I have pushed it... I broke the transmission being dumb... Trying ot burn out from 1st to second one time and broke the linkage in side it(took 2nd and 1st out and then i had third fourth and reverse was a pain to drive... )... and I had clutch half enaged down shifting into 2nd at 55 and messed up the linakge again(only had reverse).... both early model 4 speeds... the 5 speed has been fine but i'm nice to it...

• 5 months later...
Well a clutch takes 4 hours to switch tranny takes 3 to 4 hours... motor is a 7 hour job... These cars are easy to work on and in my book its been reliable for how hard I have pushed it... I broke the transmission being dumb... Trying ot burn out from 1st to second one time and broke the linkage in side it(took 2nd and 1st out and then i had third fourth and reverse was a pain to drive... )... and I had clutch half enaged down shifting into 2nd at 55 and messed up the linakge again(only had reverse).... both early model 4 speeds... the 5 speed has been fine but i'm nice to it...

Your 18 doing 150+? Please don't!

I wish I could daily drive my Z. Unfortunately its a total track car and nowhere near street legal. I just got it this summer and want to get it ready for next season. Until then it just sits there tempting me. Its a really good thing that its too low to get itself off my driveway or I likely would have done something stupid. 103 octane isnt exactly available at your local gas pump either.

P1010658.JPG

a DD every day and everywhere since the day I got it. Its takin many trips down to southern OR, up to WA and will see Cali for the first time in a few weeks :wink:

Z's are for driving, if I just wanted to look at one in my garage Id just print out a big ass picture and tape it up in there, itd be alot cheaper to lol

l_ca2fe6cff3aa30cf2e72200ac1bae9e5.jpg

hmm maybe going 155 mph will damage the diff, stock clutch, and transmissions, and blow up the motor LOL

Stock 3.36 R180 is fine for at least 173.325mph....

That I know of so far. Maybe next season I will be able to post a better 'confirmed' differential terminal speed number...:D

I would love to drive my 240 everyday as i love to hear the turbo spool and if i keep off boost i get high 20s mpg. Smelly in there though and the steering and ride aren't the best.

I DD my subaru which has AC and AWD and doesn't pop scary drifts around turns even at low speed haha

Well, besides being a college student and not having enough cash to spend on another car, i'm proud to say that i dd my S30.

BUT! even IF i did have the cash to fork over to get a corolla or something of that nature, i wouldn't. i probably would use any extra money to "paint my canvas" aka get the Z to where i want it.

but yes....

-the steering sucks. no power steering does suck but not having to replace a steering rack or deal with leaking power steering hoses is awesome (which was a PAIN with my '88 supra turbo)

-i have TWICE PIPES! yea...you guys want to talk about loud? doesn't get much louder than that haha. but! once i get some nice 6x9's and my sub, i'll be set :D

-i dont have fumes. lucky i guess? it DOES smell kinda gas-ish but it doesn't bother me. smells like a Z should

-lighting isn't bad AT ALL! maybe i'm fine with dim lights but my current Z's lights are jus fine. i DO remember having my 77 and then getting the supra..wow did the supra have better lights. but they're fine for now...i dont do much driving at night anyways :P

-i would HATE to get a corolla, besides the 'lame' and 'cookie cutter'-ness, i absolutely cannot STAND driving people. one passenger is far more than enough for me lol.

-i would have to agree that i already KNOW i'm getting a dd after college...but that's going to be a mk4 supra turbo so....:icon43:

I love my Z. I love driving it to Albertsons or taking it over to Santiago Canyon and messing around. I find any excuse to drive it, and actually get antsy if i DON'T drive it 3-4 times a week haha.

anywho, here a pic of mine as she currently is.

0912081718a-1.jpg

Well a clutch takes 4 hours to switch tranny takes 3 to 4 hours... motor is a 7 hour job...
4 hour clutch job? 4 hour tranny swap? 7 hours for the motor?

I must be spending too much time working on S30's... Clutch and or tranny swap takes me around an hour and a half to 2 hours. Removing a fuel injected l28, the transmission, and the wiring harness all in one pass takes me an even 2 hours. Putting the engine/trans/wiring harness back in takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours, I usually take my time checking that everything is hooked up right.

Currently I dont have a running S30. Both are stripped down to just the chassis. But I plan on DDing my ZZZap 280Z once it's all back together. I'm really looking forward to it infact.

I was daily driving mine until I broke my left ankle into pieces.

http://album.hybridz.org/member.php?uid=8105

I have around 400 whp and the car weighs in at 2480 lbs. I get 30+ mpg and it will outrun most anything on the road.

My commute is 70 miles round trip and I have had no reliability issues other than blowing holes in couplers at 20lbs of boost.

I have put it up for sale in the classified section.

4 hour clutch job? 4 hour tranny swap? 7 hours for the motor?

I must be spending too much time working on S30's... Clutch and or tranny swap takes me around an hour and a half to 2 hours. Removing a fuel injected l28, the transmission, and the wiring harness all in one pass takes me an even 2 hours. Putting the engine/trans/wiring harness back in takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours, I usually take my time checking that everything is hooked up right.

Currently I dont have a running S30. Both are stripped down to just the chassis. But I plan on DDing my ZZZap 280Z once it's all back together. I'm really looking forward to it infact.

i do everything in my driveway of my apartment with cheap tools

Well.....It's that time of year again for me. The time when waking up in time for 8am class now has to include time to sit in the Z with my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine from dying while it warms up.

i do that too but mine won't die on me if i don't =/