HybridZ

Who Daily Drives their s30

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DD my 260z everywhere here in the bay area....just enjoyed a nice drive on Skyline today, wish for you hybridz people to get to drive this spectacular road if your here.

These cars are extremely reliable if maintained, almost 200k and runs like a champ!

Did you seriously just miss the meet in El Sobrante?

Um, yeah, if you have a 77 with the origional L28, it doesn't have an O2 sensor.

haha, good point. i never did bother to even check for an o2 sensor. I just assumed after replacing the injectors, wires, plugs, and filters that it would be a sensor. I dont know what else I would need to check. Regardless, it will be replaced by a 240z with an LS1 swap in a few years. But if anyone has an idea of what to check next, let me know. It has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Even my old Honda had bad oil consumption issues.

Guest ttoude
So who else out there daily drives their S30?

I still drive mine nearly every day. The problem is its taking a toll on the car and me.

I bought the car and have been driving it, and working on it for about 5 years now. It is pretty modified for AutoX and it has been converted over to fuel injection. A couple things have happened lately to get me thinking about not driving it every day. The first one being a picture I found of the car about 6 months after buying it. The paint is still original, and man does it look a lot worse now then then. The interior is also staring to show signs of wear. The crack in the dash has gone for 1/2 in to about 3 inch, the center counsel is now cracked, the seats ripping ect...ect.ect.

I also have notice how much my clothes smell like fumes after driving it. All the rubber has been replaced, and the tuning is spot on, I know bad air recirculation is part of the problem. What is this doing to my health every day? It cant be good for the long term can it...

So do I keep spending money on the Z as it continues to get beat, or do I park it for weekend use only and buy a cheap practical new car for commuting and daily use.

What do you guys think

Jeff

I drive it like i stole it every damn day. Thats the way it should be.

1977 had it three weeks and I plan to go the same way you went auto-x excetera,excetera,excetera,

I am expecting the same wear and tear

I limit my time in it to reduce fatigue and exposure, riding my bike to the store excetera, excetera, excetera,.

Fumes in the cabin are a problem like any other, it shouldn't be happening. PLEASE fix that.....

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk82/phalerider/?action=view&current=Photo_080109_008.jpg

Photo_080109_008.jpg

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk82/phalerider/?action=view&current=Photo_080109_008.jpg

I drive my Z every day. I've put 6000 miles on it in the past 4 months (wow, that's more than I thought)

And it hasn't given me too many problems. Just things like tank rot really. I need to do work on the brakes though. It still stops good but sometimes the pedal goes soft (I think the proportioning valve is going out) The transmission could use an overhaul, as I have to be light on the shifter (especially 3rd gear)

the clutch is GREAT though, no problems there. I just wish I could remember which way my cam is out of timing. The powerband has been shifted down because the cam is not set right from when the head was rebuilt (I think that means it's been retarded a bit?) but besides that I'm not too worried.

I need new tires badly though. the ones on it are so big they're rolling on the rim, and causing the outside tread to wear at an alarming rate compared to the rest of the tire.

I don't really have fume problems unless the windows are up it seems. no one that has ridden in my car have ever said anything about bad fumes, and every seal on my car is SHOT.

speaking of which...anyone know what size nut holds on the down pipe for the 78's? I need one >_>

It's my college DD. I drive my 71 to college and back to my home town (150mi round trip) to get some spare cash during the year or up to 4-500 round trip for a regatta. I've probably put close to 12k on it in just over a year, it regularly sees 70-80, and aside from the usually maint. that every car should get, it breaks down less than most other cars I've seen...

And I haven't been easy on it at all, it's got Koni's, bigger springs, MSA Sway's and 4 piston front calipers, and I like to exercise them at all available opporotunities.

24mpg too... not bad really.

I drive mine just over 80 miles a day commuting in the Atlanta traffic.

Tons of fun and I am with the exception of seeing Tim and Ashley in the Duluth area - the only 280Z around.

Thanks to all of the info on this forum and the small handful of Z car shops in town I hope to keep my Z on the road for quite a few years!

BTW - Solo racing is a blast!

www.soloatlanta.com

photo_thumb.jpg

For many reasons a disposable car is appealing.

thats sick...

just kidding, before my Z, i drove a cheap 86 honda which i drove like a mad man. since it didn't really matter if i broke anything on it, parts for it are SUPER cheap.

almost forgot, i'm driving my z every day, but some parts i believe are getting close to their end of the line, so i'm working to save money and order the parts before that time comes

1.jpg

Edited by draft.phunk.amd
was replying another post without focusing on the main thread topic

I have a 260z convertible and I use it as a daily driver from April to November. It is old school with a 2.8 block, E31 head, a 6 into 2 into 1 header, 3 inch exhaust, 240z SU's, K&N with airhorns, electronic ignition, Nardi Wood steering wheel and Recarro seats.

I drive about 40 plus miles a day to work, mostly freeway. It is such a blast when the roads are clear or traffic is spaced out. I love hearing the straight six wined out, blasting through the gears while keeping the revs screaming. The drive can be the best part of my day some times. Yes I am putting wear and tear on it but it is not garage queen. It was ment to be driven. The Recarros really help for the longer trips. People ask me about the car all the time and give it a lot of compliments.

Enjoy the ride,

JB

Chicago