HybridZ

dash pad differences between 240, 260 and 280

Let me try it over here, I asked in the interior section but no luck.

I did do a search on this and did not find out the answer.

With the 240, 260 and 280 how many different dash pads are there?

The reason I am asking is that I found a company that says and I quote

"We manufacture various dashboards, suitable for Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Fiat, and Honda. We can produce according to customer's samples."

And I thought, If I can get a good dash for each model Z, maybe this company can make us some new ones that might not cost an arm and a leg.

Thank you in advance and once I find out I will email the company and see what they say.

Lou

OK I just received an email back from this company that manufactures dashboards....they are asking for pictures, so does anyone have a 240z dash that is out of the car and can take a few pics of it so I can send them to this place? Or does anyone have links to some pics?

I am going to continue my search online and see if I can get what I am looking for also.

Thank you for your help,

Lou

The company said that they could make the dashboards :-D

Sent email back to get some details on the whole process, they also asked about how many I needed to have made.

Does this sound like an accurate description of how the Z's dashboards were made?

dashboards were made out of polyurethane foam, pressure molded onto the metal frame. Textured vinyl is vacuum shrink-wrapped as a final finish.

One last thing does anyone have an old dash that would not be good to use in a car but good enough to be sent to this company so they can use it as a pattern?

Thank you,

Louis

There were at least 3 different dashes for the HLS30 - 240-Z's.

Series I and II for the 70/71 Model Year Cars

Series III for the 72 Model Year Cars

Series IV for the 73 Model Year Cars

They differ in minor details... but that minor difference can be measured in dollars today. A NOS dash for a 69 to 71 Series I or Series II 240-Z could sell for $2000.00+ today. A NOS dash for a 72 240-Z would be in the $950.00 range...

Serious "restorers" would demand having the fine details correct ... and they would most likely pay the most for an exact replica of the specific dash style they need. That however would represent a small market.

If perfection of detail isn't the main desire - then any of the dashes could be re-manufactured by the companies mentioned earlier. They strip the old vinyl and padding and recover the original metal frame - the difference is only in the grain of the newer vinyl used.

I believe that there would be very little demand for a more "universal" fit dash, that could be put in any 240, 260, 280Z - - that cost above $650.00... Indeed, they would have to cost less than that.

The 240-Z dashes are not as deep as the later 260/280 dashes.. as Nissan allowed more room behind them for the Factory Air Units... so the center consoles have to be different to line up with the dash..

FWIW,

Carl B.

There were at least 3 different dashes for the HLS30 - 240-Z's.

Series I and II for the 70/71 Model Year Cars

Series III for the 72 Model Year Cars

Series IV for the 73 Model Year Cars

They differ in minor details... but that minor difference can be measured in dollars today. A NOS dash for a 69 to 71 Series I or Series II 240-Z could sell for $2000.00+ today. A NOS dash for a 72 240-Z would be in the $950.00 range...

Serious "restorers" would demand having the fine details correct ... and they would most likely pay the most for an exact replica of the specific dash style they need. That however would represent a small market.

If perfection of detail isn't the main desire - then any of the dashes could be re-manufactured by the companies mentioned earlier. They strip the old vinyl and padding and recover the original metal frame - the difference is only in the grain of the newer vinyl used.

I believe that there would be very little demand for a more "universal" fit dash, that could be put in any 240, 260, 280Z - - that cost above $650.00... Indeed, they would have to cost less than that.

The 240-Z dashes are not as deep as the later 260/280 dashes.. as Nissan allowed more room behind them for the Factory Air Units... so the center consoles have to be different to line up with the dash..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thank you for that information, I am waiting on an estimated price, they said that I would have to have at least 2000 made to make it worth it......LOL I just hate to think of selling 100 - 200 and having 1800 left in my garage, attic, living room.

We will see.

Lou

Ok so here is the possible deal, it looks like the new dashes would be between 325.00 - 350.00 that is based on an order of 2000.....Do you all think there is 2000 Z's that their owners would be willing to replace the dash?

Once I get the sample dash to the company they will be able to give me a more accurate price.

Lou

• 7 months later...
Guest winwindealman

the dash cap companies make 3 different caps for 240Zs. check any of them on ebay for the different interchange years