HybridZ

need help smog - idel + timming issues

24ounce

its an 86 turbo 5spd and i have been having problems trying to get it smogged in CA

i have attempted 3 times

when the car is set to the correct timing 15 btdc it idles high around 10 -1100rpm and runs great

when smogged it passes everything almost like a brand new car but i get failed for high idle

this time i turned the timing down till it idled at 800rpm only problem was it was at like 0-5 btdc and ran pretty shitty - i rigged the timing mark to read as though it was at 15 btdc so the smog tech would think it was were it was supposed to be when it was really at 0-5 btdc - well like i said it ran like @#$%& and when smogged it passed everything except HC (hydro carbons i think) and well i attribute this to the shitty running from the low timing probably a bit of a missfire or something as well with that lame of timing

anyone got any ideas on what to do to get the car to run at 7-800rpm idle at 15btdc - i have went through i replaced almost all vac lines with no change and replaced both gaskets on the aac valve

- the only thing i can come up with is to try a new aac valve? becasue when i unplug one of the things going to it the idle drops - i think maybe its stuck on high idle or something

There's a screw on the ecu that control's the aac valves modulation and thus the idle. Turn it counter clockwise, but just a little. If you turn it all the way counter clockwise, you'll enter the diagnostic select mode.

You might also want to check for vacuum leaks.