HybridZ

I hope the 1 year in paint jail will be worth it..

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Guest Aguyandaredhead

I am just starting to get excited so I thought I would show some pictures of where my project is.. I also am wondering what some of you think of a modification I am thinking about for the MSA airdam..See pics for more details.

WellI had it media blasted on Oct13th of 2006 and After I had done all metal finishing on the body I handed it over to my paint and body Guru.. I remember saying take your time because it has to be perfect to him when I left it with him but now I am wondering if that was a mistake. I mean he is doing a fantastic job (really world class) but I am jones'n to get this put together. Ok on to the pics and please feel free to make comments or suggestions as you see fit.

Here are my thoughts on the airdam, if you look at any of the pictures of the side profile you will notice that the airdam hangs down lower than the rockers. Now keep in mind that this car has coilovers on all four corners and will be sitting on 17x8.5's with the widest meat I can squeeze in there. But it seems to me that if a person was to cut horizontally from right to left in the very center of the bumper area and removed about 1" of the center all the way across it would then be level all the way across the car from the rockers forward, as well as the bumper would have very close height to the original bumper (like the one that is going back on the rear painted to match) and not being so wide top to bottom like the later zx's. I know the idea is somewhat to have the lower valance closer to the ground but the look that this will give the front of the car I think will outway the downforce lost in the 1" gain off the overall distance to the ground. Also should I have this grafted into the front so there is no body line where it meets the body or leave it a millimeter down so it can be replaced easier if need be (I hope I can avoid parking curbs)? So what are your thoughts on the function and form, keep in mind this car might well become one step away from a trailer queen (since I am sure I will rail on it) just given the amount of money spent on the RB swap and the overall fit and finish on every nook and cranny. Before you start I know all cars should be built to be driven, I will drive this car and hard at times I just can't imagine detailing every bolt after getting it covered with road grime and I am a neat freak..

On another note with 280zone's (I think that is where I got it) SS cowl hood in regards to under hood cooling and overall air under the hood were there any wind tunnel tests done with this hood. I have a feeling that if a person opens the front part of the cowl with the back closed off they will be doing a disservice to the air pressure under the hood. However if they open up just the back and not the front as well due to to increased pressure at the cowl area at the windshield that might just be bad as well. So I was thinking if a person opened up both the front and back would the air rushing straight through the cowl area of the hood (once a channel is created) create a pressure change under the hood that would create a venturi effect and pull more hot air out from under the hood. I am not interested in bringing more cool air under the hood with the cowl since the filter for the turbo will be in front of the intercooler up front behind the grill. SO ideas to ponder here and I am very interested to here your thoughts. Also if you see something I missed on the car that should be addressed before paint please whack me up side the head and don't let me miss it.

Thanks

Jeff

Aguyandaredhead

01small_thumb.JPG

02small_thumb.JPG

03small_thumb.JPG

04small_thumb.JPG

05small_thumb.JPG

06small_thumb.JPG

07small_thumb.JPG

08small_thumb.JPG

09small_thumb.JPG

10small_thumb.JPG

11small_thumb.JPG

12small_thumb.JPG

13small_thumb.JPG

14small_thumb.JPG

15small_thumb.JPG

Looks great but are you dead set on using that airdam? I mean I know to each their own but since the job done is so absolutely meticulous I've always found that MSA airdam overused and I can't stand the huge bumper effect on it, especially on a 240z. That and the fit on a friend's Type III is garbage...

The underbody of your car is more beautiful then the top of mine! What an amazing job!

Mario

PS Sorry for the rant...

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Thanks for the kind words Mario, I agree that the airam is used allot all though not as much as the type 3 from MSA. I do like this design though and am confident that we can get it on and fit correctly. The one reason I am contemplating removing about 1" of material from the center of the bumper all the way across and put back together is to give it a more 240 bumper look. I agree the bumper is a little tall for a 240z (looks more like the zx style) and if I mod it I think it will match the rear painted one better. Given that do you think that I am on the right track with the airdam?

Jeff

Will there be a rear bumper? What Id like to see done is with this type air dam blend the area between the airdam and the headlight bucket. Stock there is a indent for the bumpers but I think it would look good to have just a seam there but no indent. (bumper removed)

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7AD2/50-1412

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Yes, it will be smoothed and painted to match the body color and when installed it will be as tight to the body as i can get it without touching the sheet metal.

Jeff

I think I picture what you're saying, and I think that it has the possibility of looking really nice and unique. As I stated before, the huge bumper is what really erks me.

Hmm, maybe we should have one of the photoshop guru's do it for you and see how it looks.

I absolutely love the way the huge mouth looks on a Z (even though it is terrible for aero). Since I'm not worried about maintaining 160mph (yet), I'll leave the "shark" mouth open.

If you're that worried about aero and which way to open up the cowl, I'd look at the testing data. They liked the Type III the most since it covers the front wheels better, and your idea of making the bumper detail on it smaller would make it an awesome looking airdam in my opinion.

But then again this is your car, so again, sorry for the rant but do what you want!

I'll def be following your build,

Mario

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Mopar, that is the question seam or no seam where the body (headlight buckets) meet the airdam. I agree no seam will look much better but I guess I also wonder about replacement in the future if needed.

Mario, thats a great idea about the Photoshop I hope someone here will offer up their services. I would like to see it before I cut this one up. And you are right it is my car but I respect the opinion of most of the long timers on the board and am willing to entertain good ideas. So keep them coming.

Jeff

Yep, I'd like to see the photoshop of your idea.

I kind of agree w/ mario, it's not my favorite front end but it's close to being cool, just needs something. Thinning the bumper may be the ticket.

So, how old's the baby? Did you tell me about that last time I saw you?

Congrats :)

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Hey Bill, you on US soil?? I am starting to have second thoughts on this front end, any suggestions for other options? I am out on a G-nose though. I am going to go pick up the part and cut out the section we are talking about and have a look at it on the car. I really do think if it is made to look more like the 240 bumper that it will have a much better look.

Oh yea, did I not mention the kid? I am sure the last time I saw you we had either had him or were very close. It has been a blast almost as much fun as spending money on this car. lol. So hows youy project coming along? Give me a call if you want to run out there with me to pick up the part.

Jeff

I'll be home Sunday, should be the last trip for a while.

As for other options, I really dig this glass panel that was on a old race Z I saw in a post somewhere around here. Basically it covers most all the grill area and has some small holes in it. It's different and looks pretty cool, maybe we could make 2 :)

When you heading over to get the Gnose?

Here's a thought for you about molding the airdam to the front fenders. I have the same airdam on my car and yesterday I just touched a parking block with the lower edge. The crunching sound was awful and it actually cracked the top edge of the piece right where it mounts to the headlight bucket. If one little touch cracked the airdam, what would happen if it had been fiberglassed to the fender? That part of the fender isn't very strong and my guess would be that the joint might crack if the airdam got bumped very hard. I'd sure hate to have to repaint front fenders too if the airdam ever needs any R&R...

i can only speak for my old high school vehicle which was a 2000 chevy s-10 with a goodmark hood of the same style design. here is a pic.

red_airdam.jpg

it was a cowl induction with the front and back opened up but it started out with just the back open. i made a custom forced cowl induction tray that ran into the air box. it seemed to get alittle more pep when i opened the front too. but that is just with the butt dyno.

Looks like your making good progress. I like the look of the hood and I had one myself for a while...unfortunately my wife wasn't too fond of it and I eventually wound up selling it.

It looks like the curvature of the hood doesn't quite match the curvature of the fender. Is this the case, and if so are you going to do anything about it? Maybe it's tough to have a fiberglass hood fit as well as a steel one, but I know mine didn't match well and it really bugged me.

Bjhines opened up the front and back of his SS cowl induction hood: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125762&highlight=hood

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Bartman, I did notice a slight change in the radius. In the pictures above all the body panels are just sitting on the car and not fitted and bolted back up yet so i am sure they look a little off as well. We are spending a lot of time trying to get al the lines as they should be. The hood and airdam are on the plate for this week. I will let you know how that works out. I really don't think it will be much of an issue.

I do remember you selling yours and always wondered why, I figured the amount of work to make the edges and all lines correct.

Jeff

well, heres my thoughts, since you wanted input. if youre going to use that airdam, leave off the rear bumper. ive seen the type 3/240z rear bumper combo on other cars, and i dont like the look for one reason. they dont match!! i think it looks terrible.

on the other hand, with your modifications it may match well and look decent. is it possible you could cut out the bumper part, and graft on a FG 240z bumper? if it could be done, i think that would look best if you want to use the type 3.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

rturbo, that is what I am thinking and the reason for the question. I also think that when the airdam bumper is made to look more like the original 240 bumper ( by reducing the overall height to the same as a factory one) it will indeed look much better.

We shall see, since no one who has Photoshop has offered to make the visual changes on the computer for an editing idiot like me I will just have to cut it up in real time..

Jeff

My idea was to be similar to Aziza's car but with a seam where it can be dissasembled.

Thats how i had originally planned it to be, but i ended up blending in all the way. oh well, ive never been the kind of guy to plan ahead. Any who is this how u guys are picturing it? Like this right?

IMG_0100-1.jpg

The indent is gone. but a small line remains (where the metal and the fiberglass meet, just in case the front air dam needs to be replaced. here a better picture.

IMG_00952.jpg

Dont know how you would do it with that type of air dam thou. but hey theres still time to change to a different air dam :wink: