HybridZ

The "NEXT" Test...

Unfortunately, Time and other commitments dictate that I will not be involved in the organization or documentation of a future test.

If someone else wants to come forward and take the reins, with the approval and oversight of the admin staff, I'd be good with that.

As a matter of fact, my time around here will be slim, starting next week.

Mike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of todays cars have the rain drip rails.

There must be a reason for that..Cars do look much better without them. I removed mine for appearance reasons only.

While going fast and straight is great...I love going sideways better.

Well don't confuse a car designed from the start with the elmination of pinchwelds on the roofline as a design factor, and someone shaving rails for cosmetics or (thought) improved aerodynamics.

If you are only going 100 mph, you can pretty much do what you want. If you go over that regularly, 'going sideways' usually results in lifting off...

We had the back end go light and started wheelspinning, believe it or not it is possible to run over your own parachute cords...

Stability is a good thing. If your class at Bonneville has a record over 200mph (and over 170 at El Mirage) you are required to have roof strakes installed...

There must be a reason for that, as well...

Applying them to a car that will never see the speeds is foolish, and little more than cosmetic homage....

:D

On removing drip rails on a street driven car:

As long as you have functional A/C, and/or it never rains where you are, that's all well and good. But shave those babies and get into a rainstorm and the reason they are there becomes pretty obvious. Roll that window down about 6" for ventilation when you're sitting stopped in traffic and there's steady rain or drizzle.

I hate the fact that my 'dripless' Navara (Frontier) can't have the windows open in the rain because the rain drips in all over the inner door panel. Same on my Ford F250, and Dodge 1500....douses the electric control switches because the rain drops right down through the open window.

Yep, they don't have em for aerodynamics reasons to be sure. But they all universally have A/C that functions superbly as well...because they're also designed to be driven with the windows UP in a rainstorm...

For someone operating in the performance envelope below 100mph, not having the A/C will result in far more of an advantage performance wise than elimination of drip rails, or most of the drag-reducing tricks found here.

It probably would help to get a better understanding by going back and doing some research on why we did what we did and what we tested by priority, as well as what we learned from our Wind Tunnel test operator.

Mike

None of todays cars have the rain drip rails.

There must be a reason for that..Cars do look much better without them. I removed mine for appearance reasons only.

While going fast and straight is great...I love going sideways better.

Spectators weren't allowed. The facility, although large, gets filled up quick with the addition of several cars, and the required personnel to reconfigure cars/ move cars/ tape yarn to cars/ and do everything else that was required... I believe we had 12 people in attendance and it was crowded, with little viewing area and very little down time during that 9 hours... We were all pretty whipped at the end of the day...

Mike

I'm sorry if it has been mentioned already but when and where are these test being performed if someone wanted to be a spectator. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I don't see it mentioned or tested anywhere, so I'll throw it out there. I'd like to see a simple chin splitter added to some of the more common air dams, so see the effects. One that follows the profile of the air dam, extends 1-2" beyond it, and tapers out back to the front crossmember.

Well don't confuse a car designed from the start with the elmination of pinchwelds on the roofline as a design factor, and someone shaving rails for cosmetics or (thought) improved aerodynamics.

If you are only going 100 mph, you can pretty much do what you want. If you go over that regularly, 'going sideways' usually results in lifting off...

We had the back end go light and started wheelspinning, believe it or not it is possible to run over your own parachute cords...

Stability is a good thing. If your class at Bonneville has a record over 200mph (and over 170 at El Mirage) you are required to have roof strakes installed...

There must be a reason for that, as well...

Applying them to a car that will never see the speeds is foolish, and little more than cosmetic homage....

:D

On removing drip rails on a street driven car:

As long as you have functional A/C, and/or it never rains where you are, that's all well and good. But shave those babies and get into a rainstorm and the reason they are there becomes pretty obvious. Roll that window down about 6" for ventilation when you're sitting stopped in traffic and there's steady rain or drizzle.

I hate the fact that my 'dripless' Navara (Frontier) can't have the windows open in the rain because the rain drips in all over the inner door panel. Same on my Ford F250, and Dodge 1500....douses the electric control switches because the rain drops right down through the open window.

Yep, they don't have em for aerodynamics reasons to be sure. But they all universally have A/C that functions superbly as well...because they're also designed to be driven with the windows UP in a rainstorm...

For someone operating in the performance envelope below 100mph, not having the A/C will result in far more of an advantage performance wise than elimination of drip rails, or most of the drag-reducing tricks found here.

I don't really drive my car as much as I would like. She is more of a weekend street/track car. If I do get caught in the rain, I will either use the fresh air intakes or get wet.

where do the tests actually get performed??? like where i nthe usa? i could potentially have my car available if the s130 guys would like. its got an old school airdam and low pro whale tail. see pic below. i can understand if you not wanting s130's for testing tho.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, if I won the lotto for $110 Million Lump Sum after taxes, we would set up a testing WEEK and have guys in to set up their personal cars as my 'thanks' to the site.

A-MEN to that. I owe this site an incredible 'thanks', and if ever the ability arises I will gladly pay back. Sorry if I'm off topic.