HybridZ

L28 ARP main stud torque

oldmanZ

60ft/lbs torque with ARP moly lube

Oil or lube in the block after chasing threads. ARP moly lube on threads, nuts and washers.:P

Thanks Jeff. I think I'm going to need this soon, too. Is there a similar spec that assumes using motor oil instead of Moly?

oil is no substitution for moly past. it allows you to get the proper toque by taking away the friction between the nut and the stud. if you dont have the arp stuff you should be able to find it at a parts store. i know any decent motorcycle shop should have it in stock..

:cool: Hey Naviathan,

March seems like a ways off to me to. BUT, I realized I still need to fix the brakes (ran my last race with front brakes only!), finish installing the new fuel cell.... And the list goes on. I also want to finish my old Celica project by summer as well. But we love long nights in the garage. Your post says eastern Carolina. Where? I was born in Fayettville and have family all over. Wish I was there and not in COLD Washington!!!

Darrel

--Turbocharging 2rz in my 1973 Celica and my son's ka24e-1989 240sx. Working at a Subaru store has benefits (buy turbo's and intercoolers from customers who upgrade-stupid cheap!)

:cool: Hey Naviathan,

March seems like a long time to me as well. BUT, I still have to finish installing the new fuel cell, repair the brakes (ran my last race with no rear brakes-scary but fun), finish the engine...I also want to get my 1973 Celica project done by summer (2rz turbo swap). Eastern Carolina? I was born in Fayettville and have family all over. Wish I was there!!!! It is cold at night in the garage here in Washington!!

Darrel

8-)savageskaterkid,

Checked the ARP head stud kit I have and the head stud set says torque to 60. Hope this helps,

Darrel

Again, is this with oil or moly? The spec that I received with my head stud kit gave both numbers, and they were quite a bit different. It sounds like they may have changed their spec, but the 60lb-ft number is closer to the number I had for motor oil.

Now that I am looking at it, 60lb-ft with moly would be getting pretty close to the yield strength of the stud, according to the spec they supplied with mine.

• Administrators
Again, is this with oil or moly? The spec that I received with my head stud kit gave both numbers, and they were quite a bit different. It sounds like they may have changed their spec, but the 60lb-ft number is closer to the number I had for motor oil.

Now that I am looking at it, 60lb-ft with moly would be getting pretty close to the yield strength of the stud, according to the spec they supplied with mine.

Tim,

I just opened a new box of ARP head studs and the paperwork specifies 60 with moly lube.

main cap? head to block specs is what i need. maybe thats just different terminology but idk lemmie know.

Not different terminology... different part. The main cap is the cast piece that fastens the crankshaft in, and contains the lower bearing half.

Stock head bolt torque spec (done in three stages)... 29 lb/ft, 40 lb/ft, and finally 60. There is a recommended sequence, so either do some searching here or pick up a Haynes manual, FSM, etc, etc.

Tim,

I just opened a new box of ARP head studs and the paperwork specifies 60 with moly lube.

Thanks for confirming - I was suspecting that perhaps they had changed the spec, so I was avoiding posting my old spec and causing even more confusion. ;)

Not different terminology... different part. The main cap is the cast piece that fastens the crankshaft in, and contains the lower bearing half.

Okay, so now I need still more clarification. I thought that the original question was about the main studs, not the head studs. Soooo... was that correct, and was Jeff's answer referring to the main studs or the head studs? Main stud torque was the one I was looking for, btw.

Also - for the stock head bolts, I think the final torque was different depending on which bolts you had. As I recall the early L24 spec was 55lb-ft, somewhere in between the L24 and L28 it changed to 60 lb-ft, and then the turbo head bolts were 65lb-ft.

If you don't know what you have, the 60lb-ft number should be safe, but if you are getting new bolts, you should just get the turbo bolts.