HybridZ

86 RX7 with Turbo LM7 and Megasquirt

mobythevan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed the turbo blanket.  Wrapped the hotpipes and downpipe.  Recirculated my WG output to the downpipe.  Changed the couplers on the universal radiator hoses to silicone with t-bolt clamps.  Boost is still 3.5psi.  Made a couple runs in the car and everything looks good.  No leaks and the exhaust exit in front of the front tire is as quite as my granny's park avenue, haha yeah right.  I did some very scientific testing of turbo spool.  From an idle, no trans brake, no foot brake, just floor the pedal and 1 mississippi...2 mississippi...boost.  That is same result as spooling with the t-brake.  Above 20 mph and it is 1 mississippi...boost.  

I need to fab a cold air intake next.  With no hood and the filter setting behind the radiator I am seeing 120 intake temps with ambient of 60.  Then 150 intake temps at boost of 3.5psi.  The plan was always to have cold air ducting, but it is good to see the high temps that occur behind the radiator to justify it.  Once cold air ducting is in place I will turn up to 7psi and tune.  I am planning to set at this stage for a month or two and shake out the bugs.

I did receive my lingenfelter oil cooler adapter.  An oil cooler is the next highest priority on my list.  Then smaller projects like PCV, tableswitch input for E85, AN radiator hoses, radiator ducting......

updated clamps:

20140123_194937.jpg

updated coolant bleeder:

20140124_114126.jpg

20140125_090622.jpg

20140125_101329.jpg

20140126_110359.jpg

Recirculated waste gate:

20140126_101426.jpg

20140126_143931.jpg

I purchased two coolers from silicone intakes.  A type 108 to use for the transmission cooler and a type 114 to use as an engine oil cooler.  Note that the type 114 maintains the flow of the AN -10 oil cooler lines, while the type 108 has smaller holes connecting the end tanks so it would be a restriction.  I also ordered 3 gauges for oil temp, trans temp and cyl head temp.  I am curious to have a cyl head temp in addition to the water temp gauge to hopefully give an early indicator if I lose coolant.  

• 4 weeks later...

Got my toggle switch set up so I can switch between pumpgas and E85.  Tried it out yesterday.  Drove in to town on gas and ran the car down to empty.  Pulled in the station and filled up with E85, took 14.5 gallons on spec 16.6 gallon tank.  Started the car quickly on gas setting, not letting the fuel pump run any amount of time, then flipped the switch to E85 when it started leaning out.  About 2-3 seconds after starting.

Worked great.  Tuned the car on the 30 mile drive home for E85.  Now I have two set of tuned tables that I can switch between.  I took the car out and tested the wastegate setting without vacuum reference, 9psi.  

Short vid:

Yeah, my wife was most impressed with how much faster it is at 9psi than it was at 3psi.  In low gear (powerglide with 3.08 rear gears) I am just a little scared its going to scoot the rear end out.  I am only running 245 nittos right now.  Fasted car I have owned yet, now I need to learn how to drive it  :icon46:

Thank you.  

I have also never had a stereo system in any of the cars I have owned.  This weekend I will be installing one, I have an Alpine head unit, 4x Inifinity Kappa 6.5 components, an MTX terminator dual 12" sub box and a Soundstream Tarantula 5 channel 950 watts RMS amp.  I can't wait to hear/feel this system. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my adjustable watts link and adjustable control arms installed over the weekend.  Now I can center the rear axle and align the thrust angle.  The old non-adjustable links worked for some test driving, but I'm sure the alignment was not very good.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally finished up the rear axle alignment.  It took me quite a while to develop some processes for levelling, centering, squaring and testing the watts link.  I have to clearance a couple brackets to be able to get to the lock nuts on the LCAs.  I put a couple lug nuts on each side to keep the brake rotors in place and then used a dial indicator to measure how well the watts link keeps the rear centered throughout the travel.  At first the proportion of the two watts links seemed to be off with regard to the proportion of the arm that is mounted on the axle.  After adjusting the proportion of the two links the rear stayed centered all through the movement of the axle (up and down using the floor jack).

20140411_205640.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently discovered that my used LS1 intake has had debris setting in it from the previously destroyed engine it came off of.  I got some of this debris into 7 and 8 and damaged the top of the pistons a bit.  I replaced those piston/rod combos with used 5.3 parts.  Honed those two cylinders and did new rings on those two.  I ordered a new Dorman LS6 style intake.  I made a couple tries at cleaning out the other intake, but can still see junk stuck in it so it is going in the trash.  While the engine and trans where out I fixed a few small things:  added a drain plug to to the trans pan, added a piece of rubber between the steering rack and oil pan, very slightly ovaled my engine cradle bolt holes to properly fit the engine mounts and got correct bolts for engine and trans mounts.  The engine and trans are back in the car.  The new intake should be here before the holiday weekend.  Here is some of the debris that dumped out of the old intake manifold, can't believe I didn't get more of it inside my 5.3:

20150625_100326.jpg

• 5 weeks later...