Fender Vents

Challenger

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You knew the big dogs when they actually had vents that were connected to the engine bay!

Isn't there also high pressure air in the wheel well that you could use the vent to help get rid of? I fail to see why you would want to use the vents to only vent the engine bay and not double up and vent both the engine bay and the fender wells?

Cameron

Isn't there also high pressure air in the wheel well that you could use the vent to help get rid of? I fail to see why you would want to use the vents to only vent the engine bay and not double up and vent both the engine bay and the fender wells?

Cameron

Where did I say they weren't? The difference between the ricers and the racers was the vents didn't go anywhere, and the others were actually connected and performed an actual venting function. I don't see where your conclusion was drawn from what I said.

These are called knock-out punches by electricians. You can buy these at any electrical supply store. They are used to punch out holes in electrical panels for pipe fittings. Green Lee is the best for sure out of all the ones I have used. They stay sharp longer, resist chipping and cut faster but they are also the most expensive. You can also buy a step-drill bit to make those holes. Good luck!

Where did I say they weren't? The difference between the ricers and the racers was the vents didn't go anywhere, and the others were actually connected and performed an actual venting function. I don't see where your conclusion was drawn from what I said.

Sorry I drew the conclusion. I was thinking of the car from the windtunnel testing where the vents were only (best I could tell anyway) connected to the engine bay and thought that is what you were referring to. I was trying to suggest that using the side vents for both the engine bay and the fender wells would make the most if them. Do you have any pics or details on how this has been done? By the way do you have a webpage or something with details of your Bonneville car as I think it would be interesting to see the details you've put into it.

Thanks

Cameron

BTW - My fender vents are not welded in, and I don't think Dragonfly's are either. The problem with using vents fron another car is that the curvature of the fender is probably going to be slightly different. You can correct this when you blend them in, but if you don't it could be fairly noticeable.

The MR2 vents look a little too big to me, but if it works for you then go for it.

BTW - My fender vents are not welded in, and I don't think Dragonfly's are either. The problem with using vents fron another car is that the curvature of the fender is probably going to be slightly different. You can correct this when you blend them in, but if you don't it could be fairly noticeable.

Your right mine are not welded mine are bolted then glassed and blended which is how I took care of the different curvature. It is a bit of work to get them to blend and look "factory", but it is worth it in my opinion.

Dragonfly

This is kinda my plan so far.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA03/30-7099 Id use these for the hood.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA03/30-7090 Maybe these or the stock hood vents for the fenders.

I was looking at the second link and was thinking that those would look good on the top of the fender. Im trying to figure out if I should vent air from the engine bay or the front wheel wells. Not sure yet.

I was hoping you guys could clear this up for me.

So you get one of those punch and flare dies from harbor freight or where ever. Basically it is a bolt that clamps down two sides that have a cutting edge and a raised lip on them, correct? You drill a hole large than the die bolt through the sheet metal. You fix both havles on each side and then torque down using a standard wrench? And voila? So this can essentially be done with the fenders on, albeit it will be a PITA? Thanks guys!