HybridZ

Datsun 1600_ Engine Suggestions Welcome

Guest da-man (is not!)

Guest da-man (is not!)

So, I finally found some time to work on the car. Actually, to work on the rotisserie to put the body on. I spent 3 saturdays and $250-ish to build a rotisserie so I can work on the body easier. I got it loaded-on over the weekend, and went to work on identifying all the trouble. Let's just say the previous "restorer" left me lots of treasures... like bondo an inch thick, stuck to metal cloth, 'cuz there wasn't enough metal left after the rust got it.:cry:

Anyway:

Here's what it looked like when I got it:

dat1.jpg

here's the body on the rotisserie:

DVC01355.jpg

DVC01357.jpg

DVC01356.jpg

and what are the plans now? Well, first, I can't spend any real $$ 'til March..... so I have lots of time to plan still. Right now I'm leaning towards an LS1/T56, with an IRS. I'll also need new front suspension bits, and brakes all the way around.

I'm open to suggestions, but here's the parameters:

a) I have more time and skills than money. ie: If I can build it, or source it from a junkyard... then chances are I'd rather do that than buy somethin' fancy.

B) I want a reliable 500hp.

I love the idea of going Nissan.... so I've looked at both the RB26DETT as well as the VG30DETT. Either one has the potential to get me where I wanna be.... but it sure looks like I can save a couple $K by going chevy V8. (I'm open to differing perspectives on that)

I very seriously considered the full RB26DETT & AWD...... but the electronics / hydraulic control of the AWD system scared me away. I even looked into the EVO drivetrain..... and could still be swayed that way, if I found a smokin' deal.

This is a multi-year project... but I'm going to have to start somewhere. Picking a plan is crucial for me at this point.... so I can quit spinnin' my wheels.

suggestions? Opinions?

Definately in the wrong section, however its still awesome. I have tried a few times to get my hands on a roadster like that.

From what I have seen and heard the rb or and long engines like that will not fit and most v8s have clearance issues with shock towers. I hope Im wrong cuz I would love to see this come to life.

Good luck

Guest da-man (is not!)
Definately in the wrong section, however its still awesome. I have tried a few times to get my hands on a roadster like that.

From what I have seen and heard the rb or and long engines like that will not fit and most v8s have clearance issues with shock towers. I hope Im wrong cuz I would love to see this come to life.

Good luck

what section do ya think I should put this in to get some good discussion goin'?

as for the motors: the good thing is: there are no "shock towers" on this car. But no matter what I do, I'll be refabricating both the inner fenderwells and the firewall. Almost NOTHING will fit without doing that.

And synlubes: I initially considered the KA.... but finally decided against it, based mainly on the difficulty in reaching my HP goals and still be reliable. (without spending a damn fortune!!! :wink: )

I just started a topic about an interesting V6 ;)

And if you're allergic to the ford label the buick V6 is very VERY similar and quite stout (ford designed the origonal base version of this V6 off the buick V6)

If you want cheap power it's best to find a motor that's force induced from factory that can be had for a good price.

Think about the VG30ET? Kinda heavy, but very VERY high potential, even on the stock bottom end/heads.

There's also the turbo 4 from ford. Can be had for super cheap, just not tons of power without heavy modification. Our new member with a thread here seems to have "tons" of experience with them. He might be able to give you more insight on these motors.

There's the LS motors of course. Smaller, much more compact than any OHC V8 out there and boast quite a bit of displacement and stock power (though that much torque in that small of a car seems scary to me :shiver:)

There's the SR, which has pretty nice stock abilitys making the initial drop in cost a high percentage of the overal cost. So once it's in you can get some good HP for cheap, but it's still costing a pretty penny just to get the motor.

If you want to venture even more into the land of the unknown there's the duratec motors (4 cylinder and V6). Put in mazdas and ford, not sure which ones have RWD varients widely availble.

If you want to convert a 4G63 to RWD they're the cheapest turbo 4 that I've ever seen. Cheap to get (talking about the turbo eclipse/talon version) and cheap to modify. I've seen many 11 second eclipses on budgets you wouldn't believe.

What would I put in one?

Hmm. I really like the idea of a small pushrod V8, like the 5.0, but carborated with maybe a shaker hood... Just seems right.

If I wanted it to be more sleaper, and still handle amazingly I'd go with an SR motor. There's been much debate on how light a turbo 4 REALLY is, but at least it's a compacy enough of a motor to be able to get extremely close to the firewall, and because it's narrow you can fabricate/buy (if you can find one) an exhaust manifold that will mount the turbo as low as possible, to keep the weight of all the piping as low in the bay as possible. Should still be comparable in weight to the stock motor in the end.

Just my 2 cents. Not that I'm the most experienced member here.

Where in the Rocky Mountains are you located? I am in Colorado Springs.

I have a low windshield model like yourself (mine is a '67).

I am not sure how you plan to stuff a Small Block V8, RB26 or VG30DETT into the tiny engine bay of a Roadster...I guess anything is possible. To put a clutch on the stock car, requires pulling the engine as the tranny will not come out by itself...these cars are very tightly packaged - which I am sure you know.

I have attended the largest Roadster show in the US, which is in Solvang, CA every year (last weekend in April) and I have seen the Buick 3.5L V8 swapped in a Roadster, if I find a pic I will post it.

The RB is VERY long, and the VG30DETT is VERY wide.

Over on 311s.org there are a few interesting swaps such as:

1) Turbo KA24

2) Turbo Miata

3) A few SR20 Turbo swaps

You should check it out...this is my good friend Mike Spreadbury's most recent work..it is probably one the most beautiful swaps I have seen in any car...350whp in this 1900lb is plain frightening.

289638655.jpg

289638653.jpg

As you can see the turbo SR20 is a pretty tight fit itself.

My car is running great on the old pushrod R16 for the moment, so I am going to stay with my stock 96hp. I just serviced the SU carbs this week and continues to run fantastic.

278604386.jpg

Good luck with your restoration!

Yasin

Guest da-man (is not!)
Where in the Rocky Mountains are you located? I am in Colorado Springs.

I am not sure how you plan to stuff a Small Block V8, RB26 or VG30DETT into the tiny engine bay of a Roadster...I guess anything is possible. To put a clutch on the stock car, requires pulling the engine as the tranny will not come out by itself...these cars are very tightly packaged - which I am sure you know.

Good luck with your restoration!

Yasin

I'm in Salt Lake City.

There's no question the V8 will be tight. But it can be done. as you say" Anything can be done". It's simply a matter of time, money, skills and bravery.

I will say that after putting an old Buick 231 V6 in a Fiat Spider... the V8 into this car only seems like a natural progression. :-)

Those pics you sent are a very pretty swap. I have no intention of having a swap that pretty. It will be nice (I hope), but I don't need to eat off the fenderwells......

thanks for all the ideas fellas. I'm like 98% sold on the LS1/T56 right now. As a matter of fact, I'm shopping for a salvage / wrecked 4th gen F-body car to get it and alot of other sundries from.

(if y'all see one, lemme know!)