HybridZ

HKS Plenum

savageskaterkid

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inlet pipe I have is on the front cover of the SK Comp Turbo Plenum I have---the P.O. welded it on in a sort of 'HKS Hybrid Inlet Setup' sort of way...

I keep thinkin about this, and seems like it'd look pretty good and all, and am considering doing this. But the problem I'm running into is the fact that the internal baffling seems useless for a front mount intake, doesn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've noticed that was not mentioned is that you have to make sure your fuel pump can supply more fuel pressure than boost you are running. Otherwise, you will starve the float bowls under boost. I'm not sure, but I don't believe the stock mechanical pump delivers more than 6 psi.

Otherwise I'm learning a lot here.

Mallory makes a fuel pressure regulator #4309 that has a pressure sensing port. This needs to be connected to the plenum on the carbs. The float bowls need to be at a slightly higher pressure that the intake pressure to the carbs.

Do a search there is a lot of info on blow through set ups.

easiest answer is to simply use the stock EFI pump and the regulator like SHOZ mentioned. This will be good to easily 350rwhp, possibly more. I have never checked the flow rating of the EFI pump at 20psi (what it would have to make a 17psi inlet pressure) but it's considerably more than what it does in EFI service at 37psig.

I know someone who used a holley fuel pump (red?) and kept detonating his engines to death once he hit over 12psi. I told him I used the EFI pump, and was good to 17 (er...21psi) and couldn't understand what the issue was.

Then I realized terminal pressure in the Holley was only 15psi, and starting around 12psi, the effective pressure to the carbs float bowl needle would only be 3psi under perfect conditions of no frictional losses through the stock pipes... Basically at 17psi, he was blowing air back down the fuel system and making bubbles in his tank while the float bowls ran dry and his detonation progressed to terminal effect...

Everybody in Japan used the EFI pumps, if they needed more flow, the simply used more in parallell. I have seen as many as three stock 280ZXT Pumps in Paralell, each feeding their own OER 50 on drag S30's and S130's that were running in the 9's back in the mid-late 80's.

Everybody in Japan used the EFI pumps, if they needed more flow, the simply used more in parallell. I have seen as many as three stock 280ZXT Pumps in Paralell, each feeding their own OER 50 on drag S30's and S130's that were running in the 9's back in the mid-late 80's.

this is my kind of tuning :mrgreen:

O.T. I see the Avatar you're using...that was the last news I got before leaving for Spain this trip.

The loss of George Carlin is terrible. It's a reason to go see people in concert. I never took him in live, and now never will have the chance. He and I 'thought' a lot alike...

Got to go se BB King, we're on borrowed time with him as it is! No reason for me not to, either...he lives in Vegas...it's only a three hour trip.

I commented to my wife at the Kansas Concert a couple of months ago that George was supposed to be playing in Anaheim at the Grove in June and that 'we should go'...

Shoulda woulda coulda never gains the life experience. DO it, don't think about it.

"I digress"

Full agreement on the B.B. King thing tony!

I live in San Diego, and James Brown was scheduled to be coming through in the summer of 2006. I would've needed to make some difficult schedule adjustments to make it, but it would have been possible. But, I checked his schedule and saw he would be back in spring 2007.

Figured it would be fine to wait 6-8 months. I was wrong. I very much regret it.

I immediately jumped to get tickets to BB's next show here in early 2007. I still have a few artists on my list of Must-See's. Getting to them as I can.