HybridZ

This Month's Motor Trend (GT-R)!

Kevin Shasteen

V6, L6, V8, whatever.... what perturbs me is that this thing is supposed to weigh >3800 lbs in Japanese trip - perhaps even more for U.S. spec. That's about the same as a Shelby Mustang on the proposed 2009 (?) Camaro. How's that for progress/technology/innovation?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3800 lbs is only a couple shy of my '64 New Yorker...

Considering the price, I presume that a significant portion of the weight is for luxury items. One of the main culprits is probably sound-deadening materials. I'm thinking maybe three hundred pounds at least.

Then you have all that extra wiring for heated seats and the like.

3800 lbs is only a couple shy of my '64 New Yorker...

Considering the price, I presume that a significant portion of the weight is for luxury items. One of the main culprits is probably sound-deadening materials. I'm thinking maybe three hundred pounds at least.

Then you have all that extra wiring for heated seats and the like.

Don't forget the xx speaker system, navigation system / radio, etc

Well the weight is a bit high, but what I've found with my own supercar is that once you get it moving, it really isn't as big a factor as you might think, especially if it is distributed well and the chassis is dialed in.

The claimed numbers are overly optimistic and more than likely a marketing ploy.

These cars will likely be marked up upon release, and I'd expect you wouldn't be able to get your hands on one for less than $70K for atleast the first year.

So who'se buying one gang?

Mike

What I don't get is that the 0-60 time is claimed 3.5 seconds... it weight 3800lbs and has only 473hp. I am kind of skeptical. Also it runs the ring in a claimed 7:42 or so. That is really amazing if it can truly pull that off. As fast as a Z06 with 30 less HP and an extra 700lbs? I am skeptical.

Don't forget its AWD...its about how much power you can get to the ground.

guys... this car did an unofficial 7.38.52 on the 'ring.

its on youtube. i'm not going to link it because i figured you guys would have searched it already if you wanted to really know what the car was capable of.

and lets remember that s30's and s130's had inline 6's, and z31's had a v6, did they not?

so because a GTR goes from an I6 to a V6, it's taboo?!

come on fellas. It's a natural progression. The VQ38HR will be (is?) loads better than the RB26. there isn't a question about it.

It's like saying the VQ35 isn't as good as the L engine. as far as I know, L's came in forklifts, patrols, and maximas. And the VQ comes in just about the same amount of other cars.

It's what nissan has been waiting/working on to perfect.

Careless, That clip is very deceiving. It Doesn't "show" where they were timing from, and Nissan has been accused of "fluffing" numbers in the past.

They're trying to go up against all the heavy hitters in the performance market, and the word I get is that Nissan is concerned about the price point. This car will be selling at the same price point as the Chevy C6Z06. Bottom line is if they fudged those numbers at the ring (As is being claimed on various other BBs out there) then it'll come out soon enough.

It's going to be an interesting year in cars for 2008-2009.

mike

I'd be willing to bet the american version gets an NA V-8. I'd be very surprised if Nissan marketed a car in the states at that price point with a 6 cylinder of any configuration under the hood.

sorry, but they have already announced the specs and pricing. I saw the car at the LA autoshow, and it definitely looks better in person than photos also. $69000 base price

Yeah, it's not even related to the VQ. From what I've read, it's basically six cylinder version of BRAAP's favourite VRH V8s...

I can't see anything bad about Nissan changing from the I6 to the V6 configuration. If the engine does what it's designed for, then why are some of you guys criticising it? Weird...

I think that even BMW will change from I6 to V6 one day.

It'll be an impressive package, no doubt. However, at that price point, they've got to get everything "right". It's the same thing Acura/Honda were facing when they released the NSX. Hopefully Nissan will have the same success. There are some VERY impressive new and used cars in that price range, once you start looking. That's how I ended up with my little black winged beast.

Mike

Careless,

The engine is the VR38DETT, not a VQ anything.

Dave

I'm willing to bet it shares a lot with the VQ and it's just a better designed version... If anything it's based of the VQ37HR, with some heavy modifications to the crank case and girdle.

either way, it stresses my point even further... it's just a natural progression from whatever they've used in the passed... sorta like how it's supposed to be. LOL

Careless, I guarantee that it has no relation to any previous road car engine. The VR38DETT has a different engine block (it's one-piece aluminum with plasma-coated bores for additional strength), forged crank, rods and pistons, titanium valves and springs. This info came from an aquaintance of mine, who is a motoring journalist who received some of the official press info (I don't think Nissan would give BS to journalists). He will probably have an opportunity to test drive this beast. He also mentioned that the engine was originally configured for 620HP, but it was detuned to 480HP because of some unspecified reason (safety, emmisions?). The engine ECU is said to be programmable, so getting 620HP out of an essentially stock engine should be a matter of an ECU reflash and some bolt-ons. As I wrote earlier, it is a road version of the VRH35 V8 from the Nissan R390. As a confirmation of this, the new VR V6 even has similar magnesium alloy valve covers, and a lubrication system that works properly under 4G of side G-force. Here are some official specs of the car:

MODEL: Nissan CBA-R35 - 4WD - VR38DETT

DIMENSIONS

Overall length mm 4655

Overall width mm 1895

Overall height mm 1370

Interior dimensions (length x width x height) mm 1750/1475/1095

Wheelbase mm 2780

Tread Front / Back mm 1590/1600

Minimum ground clearance mm 110

WEIGHT/CAPACITY

Kerb weight kg 1740

Seating capacity persons 4

Gross Vehicle Weight kg 1960

PERFORMANCE

Min. turning circle m 5,7

Fuel consumption rate 10-15mode (MLIT screening value) km/L 8,2

Main Emission Control System Variable valve timing

OTHERS

Drive system 4WD

Steering Electronic controlled power-assist rack and pinion

Suspension Front/Back Independent double wishbone suspension / Independent multi-link suspension

Braking System Front/Back Bench-rated disc / Bench-rated disc

Tire Size Front/Back 255/40ZRF20 97Y / 285/35ZRF20 100Y

Engine Main Specifications

Model VR38DETT

No. of cylinders, configuration DOHC V6

Cylinder bore x stroke mm 95.5x88.4

Displacement L 3,799

Compression ratio 9,0

Maximum power output kW(PS)/rpm 353(480)/6400

Maximum torque N・m(kgm)/rpm 588(60)/3200-5200

Fuel supply NISSAN EGI (ECCS)

Electronic controlled fuel injection system

Recommended fuel/Fuel tank capacity (L) Unleaded premium gasoline/71

Gear Ratio/ Final Drive Ratio

Transmission type GR6 Dual Clutch Transmission

Engine VR38DETT

Gear ratio 1st 4,056

Gear ratio 2nd 2,301

Gear ratio 3rd 1,595

Gear ratio 4th 1,248

Gear ratio 5th 1,001

Gear ratio 6th 0,796

Gear ratio Reverse 3,383

Final drive ratio 3,7

A V-Spec version is due to arrive on market in 2010. It will have some body parts made from dry carbon (hence 120kg weight reduction), and will have 540HP instead of 480. It will also be available in the US. As far as I know, the US and JDM versions will be equal in every department, so nobody will have to worry about Japan getting the best versions or even models. One thing is for sure - it's AWESOME.