HybridZ

Rusty Z32s?

Daeron

I'm 27 years old. I have been in and out of Z-cars quite literally, my entire life.

I can not remember a time when a rusted out 240Z was anything fundamentally shocking or unexpected.... BUT I remember seeing 280ZXs, Z31s and on in the light of "those new Z cars" and being surprised when, in turn, I began seeing them with bad looking paint jobs, minimal rust issues, and major rust issues. My dad had an 86 in 1998 that had a large rust hole in the passenger doorjamb area, and some of the Z31s I have seen in the JY have definitely been kissed by the Salt Queen.

But despite the fact that they are now 11-16 years old, I have YET to see hardly ANY rust on a Z32. Plenty of peeling paintjobs at this point (although the first time I saw that it nearly broke my heart... "That's a 300ZX!! Paint it, idiot!") but no SERIOUS, "z-car style!" rust.... Has anyone else? I am FINALLY starting to see a few of these cars in the JY from time to time, but still no rust.

Also, am I the only one who seems to think that each progressive generation of Z car got less and less rust prone? I don't want to suggest any level of imperviousness, but has it gotten less bad, or am I just noticing things differently as I age?

I realize that this isn't the most technical of topics, so if this thread gets moved, so be it.. I just figured I would ask the question, because it has been bugging me since seeing two Z32s in the JY last week.

The Z32's probably got a lot better anti-corrosion treatment from the factory than the previous generations did.

I remember living in the midwest in the 80's and the Ziebart places would be everywhere. Now I don't see one...I think when the major OEM's started dipping the chasis at the factory it pretty much put an end to major rust problem.

I found out that grease and dirt are great rust inhibitors for the early Z's.:wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Could it be that 15-20 years ago. people just didn't store z-cars over the road salt season? Unless it was a corvette, porsche, etc. it was just driven all year round. Up until 20-some years ago most cars were RWD anyways so you just learned to deal with the horrible handling.

No one thought there would be a market for collector cars so who cares if it gets rusty. Buy a new one.

My dad has stories of installing a trailer hitch on his 69 Camaro SS when he was young so he could haul the snowmobiles around over the winter.

Could it be that 15-20 years ago. people just didn't store z-cars over the road salt season? Unless it was a corvette, porsche, etc. it was just driven all year round. Up until 20-some years ago most cars were RWD anyways so you just learned to deal with the horrible handling.

No one thought there would be a market for collector cars so who cares if it gets rusty. Buy a new one.

My dad has stories of installing a trailer hitch on his 69 Camaro SS when he was young so he could haul the snowmobiles around over the winter.

Yanno what.. More than the underbody coating and metal differences, THIS probably hits the nail on the head MUCH MUCH more securely...

My brother, after it had 280,000 miles on it and was tired as all get-out, "retired" his 82 280ZX into "truck" status; it hauled his boston whaler around and that was about it. I can NOT picture ANYONE doing that with a Z32...

More than asking why, though, I was really just curious to see if anyone had any pics of a cancerous Z32 to make me feel older than dirt. I just had my 27th birthday and I am realizing that the crest of the hill is rapidly fading in my rearview mirror, so I was kinda looking for more stuff that made me feel old :icon56:

More than asking why, though, I was really just curious to see if anyone had any pics of a cancerous Z32 to make me feel older than dirt. I just had my 27th birthday and I am realizing that the crest of the hill is rapidly fading in my rearview mirror, so I was kinda looking for more stuff that made me feel old :icon56:

Dude, your 27. The older I get the better life gets (at this point). Enjoy it!

My 95' 240sx has been driven year round since day 1 as far as I know. Its not rusty.

I am pretty sure its newer paint and metal technology that is prolonging life.

Evan

My 95' 240sx has been driven year round since day 1 as far as I know. Its not rusty.

Evan

I'm sure you can postpone vehicle deterioration (via frequent washes and meticulous detailing) but if you're driving any vehicle year-round in salt conditions it'll rust eventually (usually from the inside - out!)

I'm sure you can postpone vehicle deterioration (via frequent washes and meticulous detailing) but if you're driving any vehicle year-round in salt conditions it'll rust eventually (usually from the inside - out!)

I agree 100%, but I will also bet it takes much longer for my 240sx to look like a z rust wise then an old school z!

I see your in wausau! I drive past there a few times a summer!

Evan

Evan

oh hell, age is nothing but a number in my book.. BUT, that doesnt stop me from being realistic about it.

STILL waiting for the right picture to get posted here, though :flamedevi

Heck, even my 87 doesn't have that much rust. but a friends 50th AE is a little rusty, and another acquaintances 50th AE had the seat LITERALLY fall through the floor at a slow speed.

I think they started to coat them a little better after the 50th AE, in order to make a good, clean 50th AE a lot harder to find.

LOLOLOL

I think they started to coat them a little better after the 50th AE, in order to make a good, clean 50th AE a lot harder to find.

LOLOLOL

My dad had an 86 NA that had some nasty rust around the passenger doorframe/striker area that he had to cut out and replace.. and this was (yikes) almost ten years ago now. Pondering that was honestly what pushed me to start this thread.. if THAT 300ZX rusted that bad after 10-12 years... 2007 minus 10 or 12 is 95-97...

My dad had an 86 NA that had some nasty rust around the passenger doorframe/striker area that he had to cut out and replace.. and this was (yikes) almost ten years ago now. Pondering that was honestly what pushed me to start this thread.. if THAT 300ZX rusted that bad after 10-12 years... 2007 minus 10 or 12 is 95-97...

is it common for Z31's to make a clicky sound when closing the door? the striker area of my door jamb is really flimsy and if i take the striker and rock it back and forth a bit, it makes little clicky sounds and the paint in that area is a tad flakey, but theres no rust. =/

I have seen one Z32 in the JY that was stripped bare and was a shell with windshield. In the engine bay there was some rust where brake fluid had been dripping but other than that it was very rust free.

Makes the Z32 a VERY viable option for a hybrid build since you can get a nice one(relatively) with a dead motor for around a grand.

Makes me second-guess my 260 a little bit... I am looking at getting into the Z32 crowd a little bit now.

OTM

• 1 month later...