HybridZ

E6X disconnects then runs rough.

Sparky

Hello everyone,

I'm having a strange problem and I hope that someone here can guide me in the right direction. first though a little background:

Car had been running great on a set of low impedance injectors for a few hundred miles until I got the bug to run E85. I upgraded everything in the fuel system and am now running larger injectors, still low impedance (2.7 ohms x 6 injectors on three drivers)

well after tracing down a faulty ground on my ignitor the car fired right up and ran fairly well on my original tune and also on a tune I recieved from a friend of mine that was running larger injectors.

so anyway, I take the car for a test spin to check for strange noises, I get about three blocks away and the E6X disconnects from my PC and starts to run terrible, it wont idle, wont free rev and wont take any kind of load without putting up a heck of a fight and wont reconnect to my PC giving me an error message like this "Cannot connect to COM port."

well I baby it home and sit in the driveway trying to figure out whats going on and the car dies. I then turn the key into the off position and then back on and try to reconnect and viola!, she reconnects. I sit in the car without the engine running and just stare at the computer waiting for the seemingly inevitable....and then it happens, E6X dumps the computer connection and will not reconnect spitting out the same error message as before.

So I try again, key off, key on, haltech reconnects. this time though I try start the car and interestingly enough she runs just fine....for a few minutes anyway until a repeat of the above....

sigh, turn her off and head home for the next few days to think about what to check when I can get into the garage next week.

and whats where I'm at today, Sorry for the epic post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible so that I can get the best feedback possible. I did search the archives on the haltech forum and found this post...

http://www.oz951.com/halforum/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=373

...There are a few similarities there except that my wideband sensor is toast so I cannot see a rich or lean condition when the car runs rough, but since shes not popping like crazy I'm going to assume its a over-rich condition thats occuring. My first thought as I was sitting in the car was that I overloaded the injector drivers in the ECU and it went into some kind of "safe mode" but I kept thinking that from what I read when I installed it, it doesnt matter what type of injectors they are as long as the settings are correct in the setup and that the E6X can support two peak and hold injectors per driver without running a resistor box.Now since that was my only thought I'm feeling a bit lost on what to check for when I do get a chance to work on the car, and since my available time for play things is so limited I need to be sure to maximize my efficiency when the opportunity presents itself.

So thats it, are there any previous cases of this and/or known resolutions? My first few steps are going to be of the more obvious nature : check grounds, +leads, after that maybe the CAS and trigger setup....it just seems odd to me that a simple off-on can temporarily resolve the issue which suggests to me that its something in the ECU itself thats throwing a fit.

I'm open to any/all comments and want to thank everybody in advance for anyhelp you can offer.

• 10 months later...

Update,

Haltech ended up sending me a new E6X, no word on what the problem was...or if there was one in the ECU. I cleaned up the wiring a bit, Re-soldered all the connections and re-routed the wideband wiring (it was causing interference making the tach signal go loopy.) Car is idling just fine and is awaiting some free time so I can tune it a bit.