HybridZ

Small Update on my S30

MPD47

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the odd reflection is a combination of that part of the flare on the character line of the body and a light going over a pipe overhead. It's not warped.

Not much for today, big thanks to Justin (gsx) for the help and for shooting a couple pics of me working.. I heavily photoshop'd one of them. (the profile shot). Got the passenger's side ZG flare mounted up and started working out the rears. Gonna work on them and/or the engine bay tomorrow. Pick up the KA at noon on Sunday :)

DSCF3123.jpg

DSCF3143.jpg

DSCF3131.jpg

I cut them off today with my electric grinder (air wouldnt touch them).

Went in and got a little bit of work done.

DSCF3147.jpg

Marked, and ready to cut

DSCF3155.jpg

Initial cutting done, I then cut the inner fender well back, and started to hammer it up in anticipation of tack welding it into place. I also put the nutserts into the proper holes but didnt have the tool to compress them, so hopefully I can get that taken care of Monday.

DSCF3177.jpg

DSCF3185.jpg

One rear mounted up, fronts are done and trimmed. Hopefully I'll have this finished and the engine bay stripped and painted this week. Picking up the KA in the morning.

DSCF3192.jpg

Yes, it did, and I loved seeing it in the beat up, original, driving (assumed) condition. Just like I'll be driving my 240z around this year (exterior condition wise).

DSCF3201.jpg

This is about where I almost died when visibility got worse, as did road conditions, and there were no salt trucks or plows out, and a guy going 20mph less than me decided to pull out in front of me at the last minute.

DSCF3204.jpg> *

DSCF3206.jpg

Oh yeah, and I picked up a '95 KA24DE with uncut harness, all accessories, ecu, maf, trans, etc, etc.

275whp+

The goal is to be right around 300whp, which is very doable with my engine selection. I've got other high HP cars and dont want to go crazy on this one (or I would've swapped an RB or LS1). It's going to be my backup track/drift car for when the 951 is down and I'm not borrowing other's cars to do drift events with. (Mostly a good friend's 350z).

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

As for suspension, I'm in the process of acquiring front 300zx uprights to mod like stony did. And in the rear I'll do 5 lug as well. Plan is for sectioned 300zx uprights, Koni shocks, GC weld ons and Z33 brembos. (Because I have a set kicking around)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Yeah it is a widebody MKIV.

Haven't worked on it much because "MPD is a bag". Got working on stripping the engine bay though. Ordered a clutch, floors, subframe connectors/frame rail reinforcements, and the front subframe for the KA.

DSCF3214.jpg

DSCF3223.jpg

Starting to clean up, paint scraper and steel wool. I also discovered a small hole in the frame rail which you can see in the bottom right of that photo. It's about an inch and a half long, by maybe 1/3 of an inch wide. Wont be a hard repair at all.

DSCF3225.jpg

DSCF3228.jpg

Progress coming along, I'd say I have the bay 60% stripped. I still have a lot of little holes that were drilled to fill and spot welds for old brackets to drill out. A significant amount of paint has been removed though. Currently my big debate is if I should remove the stock battery tray or not since the battery is being moved to one of the rear cubby holes.

Unless you plan on mouting something else there, I would say ditch the battery tray. IMHO, leaving it would make the bay 'unbalanced' from a visual standpoint.

Or, since you are turboing it (I think I saw that you were), maybe mount a water/methanol tank there?

I second that motion. Keep it functional, keep it clean.

By the way, I just joined hybridz because of your project, keep up the gorgeous work!

Thanks guys.

I removed the battery tray tonight, along with all of the brackets in the engine bay. Need to do some more chemical stripping and my roommate is going to help me weld up some small holes and what not in the engine bay, then it gets painted. Hopefully early next week.

not much in terms of visual progress.

Spent a ton of time drilling out every bracket on the firewall, frame rails, and remaining bits of the engine bay. Ground most of them down flat, removed the battery tray, finish chemically stripping the engine bay, etc. I now need to go back over the engine bay with a wire wheel to get the remaining crap. The rubber steering bushing is being sent out to have an aluminum version made, the old one was quite hard and brittle. Basically need to go back and weld up all the holes and divots from drilling the brackets off, and tack in the crossmember with the engine test fit. That's my scatterbrained order of things right now. Hopefully I'll have everything collected to be welded this week and I can get that tacked in with Christian's help and it can go over to PMP to have the finish work on the welds done.

One photo for today with the engine bay mostly torn down.

DSCF3240.JPG

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly, no. I got busy with work and going back to school and I dont tend to work on projects during the summer (to busy driving). I'm bringing it back to my house and I'm gonna start back in on it soon.

I actually had it up for sale for awhile and didnt get any serious bites (just ridiculous low balls) which made me decide to keep it.