HybridZ

Odd phenomenom - Occasionally get a LOUD pop from under the hood when energizing

ktm

....the fuel system. I am not starting the car, simply turning the key to the ON position. You will hear the pump energize and then an incredibly loud BANG! It only happens occasionally and the car will start up and idle fine afterwards. Most of the time when I energize the fueling system nothing happens, but when it does go BANG! it scares the crap outta me. :)

I have checked all over for fuel leaks, etc. and do not see anything. It HAS to be fuel system related as that is the ONLY thing that is energized when the key is in the ON position.

Anyone have ANY idea what the @(#&$(@#& it is? I am stumped.

It's turned on in the ON position. The START position is where the starter is engaged. Tony D mentioned at another site that his MS'd car does the same thing. Basically the coil is sparking when the system is first energized. Sometimes there is enough fuel/vapors in the right mixture to ignite.

Still looking for other possibilities though.

Most new cars won't energize the relay that gives positive to the injectors, tranny relays, fuel pump relay, ignition coils, and misc. engine solenoids such as vacuum switching valves until the car sees a good crank angle sensor signal.

Toyota calls it a circuit opening relay and chrysler calls it the ASD relay.

I'll guess the aftermarket manufacturers will soon embrace this though I don't know if any have.