HybridZ

FWD engine swap into a FWD car

9kredline

I was asked by a friend recently about helping him perform a swap into his FWD platform, which I've never done and can admit I'm rather clueless about.

All I could find on google was a bunch a honda guys bickering about b18s, h22s, turbo or na, etc etc, and nothing about actually performing the swap. So I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Does anyone know what's involved with swapping FWD drivetrains? Example: 1.9LTDi into a CRX or a Metro.

Granted, it's just an example, not weighing the pros and cons of the platform. Although I'd love to put one of those TDi's into a '72 Honda AZ600 coupe. It would get rediculous mileage.

Anyways, ideas? Does it require the whole subframe, or just new mounts? Axels, CVs? Thanks in advance for letting me know if I should just tell him to hit up a fab shop.

I had a 72 Honda N600 sedan and let me tell you getting anything in there is going to be a heck of an endeavor. I bought mine with the intention of fitting a turbo b18 into it but lack of funds due to my 5 other cars but the project on permanant hold. I ended up selling the shell for what I paid for the whole car so I made a little cash on it, but I wish I would have concentrated on that project instead of some of the others.

anywho, as far as other FWD swaps go I would imagine it just depends on donor and the donee, axles will probably be the biggest hurdle if your trying some oddball swap. Just about any Honda swap you can think of has been done, its just a matter of wading through all the petty useless drivel that some of the fanboys spew forth on the message boards... some though are much better than others, just keep searching.

careless.... i thought you got rid of your z???? sry its been months since i logged in.

lol.. are you sure that was me!?

i still have it. just doing some engine stuff outside of the car right now. gotta get a vin number issue resolved. (there were no HL530's as far as i know)

• 1 month later...

I think a FWD engine would envolve alot more fab'n then a rwd swap would. Custom cv joints compared to one driveshaft. Mounts would be alot more complicated then just two motor mounts and a tranny mount. Not saying that fabrication for a rwd setup can't be complicated but just imagine it requiring more headscratching. lol.

I agree that the biggest hurdles that your going to run in to with that swap would be axels, and I'll add motor mounts. You'll have to get those custom fabbed and I know a little bit less than nothing about that motor so that's about all that I can offer in the way of help.

If your friend decides to do a more traditional honda swap then I can probably help out a bit more.

I know mounts could be trick but unless you want nonsolid mounts with some rubber in them. It should be all that bad. Just have your engine positioned where you want it and bust out some steel and a welder. An old friend of mine made his mount but they were solid as he didn't want to spend the cash on aftermarket mount to put a B18A into his CRX. Just put the axles into the tranny and the hubs and went to town. They weren't the prettiest but held together fine even with a boosted setup. Custom CV's are expensive as hell. Thedriveshaftshop.com quote me at 550 for a set of custom axles for an old car and that was sending them the parts. They just cut some splines onto a new shaft and assemble it. And that's just saying you got your measurements and whatnot right. Not to sure how good welded CV shafts would hold up if you wanted to do to go ghetto fabulous. Hahahahh

S600's are chain driven. Not to mention the popular honda engines B/H/D are spin backwards compared to most engines so you'd have a pretty fast car in reverse trying to adapter a normal RWD trans onto it. You'd be like Burt Reynolds in Smokey & The Bandit when he was driving in reverse on the highway. lol. Not to mention the size of a S600 is crazy to begin with. I'd guess your best bet would be a bike engine. But the stock engine is pretty amazing for what it is. Check this out

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=204774