HybridZ

Turbo compatible?

DatsunD

I have a 280z turbo motor N47 head i think without the turbo. I found a 50th anniversery 300zx turbo and took the turbo,downpipe, and computer off of it because the rest was trashed. The turbo i believe fits on my stock 280z exhaust manifold so my question is would this work for my 3oo-350hp target and what would i need to make it work for me?

the Z31 T3 uses the same internals as the 280ZX t3, so you won't get any power gains from it, it does however use a downpipe with less of a bend or you can just make your own downpipe and get even more flow, and I think 300 whp is aobut as much as your gonna get for a stock turbo, if you want more you're gonna want a lager compressor

I have a 280z turbo motor N47 head i think without the turbo. I found a 50th anniversery 300zx turbo and took the turbo,downpipe, and computer off of it because the rest was trashed. The turbo i believe fits on my stock 280z exhaust manifold so my question is would this work for my 3oo-350hp target and what would i need to make it work for me?

300whrp is very hard with the t3. Maybe with a cam and head work yes but other than that no the t3 just doesn't flow enough. 300 crank hp should be doable. I dynoed 280whrp and 400lb-tq with my t3 at 21psi (basically a flame thrower at that point)

Thanks guys, now i know i have a usefull turbo for my turbo engine build, and i got it for only 40 bucks!! lucky auto yard find. which brings me to ask if i should go through the bother of a rebuild kit of some kind? the shaft spins freely, and when i took it off the car, fluids were still in all the lines including feul lines leading me to believe it was runing, and not sitting for years. What do you think? should i trust it's in runing condition or should i replace some old parts on it with a rebuild kit asuming the kit won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks guys, now i know i have a usefull turbo for my turbo engine build, and i got it for only 40 bucks!! lucky auto yard find. which brings me to ask if i should go through the bother of a rebuild kit of some kind? the shaft spins freely, and when i took it off the car, fluids were still in all the lines including feul lines leading me to believe it was runing, and not sitting for years. What do you think? should i trust it's in runing condition or should i replace some old parts on it with a rebuild kit asuming the kit won't cost me an arm and a leg?

The shaft spins freely but what about play. It should have no or very minimal side to side and up and down play. You should do a rebuild just so you don't ruin the turbo, but I usually take the chance on a cheap turbos.

Lemme help ya out here...

PS... Next to your pics in Photobucket are html links to the pic... clicky and it's copied. :D

PSS... Unless you are a turbo expert, don't risk rebuilding it yourself. Take it to a turbo shop.

DarrensZ009.jpg

DarrensZ010.jpg

DarrensZ011.jpg

I just checked the turbo for side to side movement and thier is a little so would the rebuild kit fix this? here's some pictures i took of it.