HybridZ

Need window net installation pictures

JMortensen

Jon, I don't have a picture but my window net installations are easy.

I run 2 horizontal pieces of 3/8 roundstock...one on top and one on bottom to retain the window net.

I weld 2 tabs onto the main hoop leg and 2 tabs onto the A-pillar with hole bigger than the roundstock...1/2" works good for me.

Make the sections of stok about 2 inches longer than the distance between the two top tabs and the 2 bottom tabs. Grab a couple of washers, slide them over the ends of your stock and tack weld them 1 inch from the end...do this only on one end of each piece of stock. Find a couple of springs that will fit over the stock but not through the hole in your tab. I usually use springs about 3 inches long that compress to about 1/2 inch or so. Slide the spring over the end of the stock without the washer until the end of the spring is flush with the end of the stock, and tack it.

One rod goes through the top and the other goes through the bottom of the window net. Slide the end with the spring into one of the tabs and compress the spring, then line up the other end in the other tab and release it...the spring will keep the rod located between the tabs. Do the same with the top one. To get out of the car in a hurry, push the bottom rod toward the spring end and push it outward, then pull backwards..the rod will come out of the tabs, throw it over the roof and get out of the car.

lbhsbZ I will definitely take your advice and weld washers to the rods. I have the seat belt type quick release so that part is taken care of. I think I read somewhere that it is preferable to have the net to fall down rather than flip over the top of the car.

John, I think that is just what I was looking for. I figured out I had several problems. 1st, the net I got wasn't a rectangle. I guess I didn't realize how many different nets there are out there, but the one I got was apparently designed to fit a particular car. 2nd, the net wasn't long enough to get down to the door bar. 3rd, the net was too long at the top. I figured this out yesterday and spent some time looking and couldn't find anything else that fit my necessary dimensions better. A custom net is going to be the answer for sure. Thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I measured the dimensions, then cut out of a piece of cardboard and held that up to the cage to double check. I recommend this step, because I screwed up the angles the first time and it would have been wrong. Figured it as close as I could and measured the angles with my digital protractor, then ordered up the Stroud net a week ago and it showed today. Fit right out of the box was nearly perfect. I had to move my anchor points just a hair and now it's dead on.

Thanks John for the tip. This one would have been a real hassle without a custom net. Now I gotta go back out there and weld on a washer and drill the bottom rod for cotter pins.

DSCN2128.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

DSCN2130.jpg

DSCN2131.jpg