HybridZ

NA to turbo conversion - questions and answers...

mikeatrpi

Wow...after doing a search, this thread became very helpful in determining which way I should go in my quest for N/A to turbo.

I have a '76 Z with an '83 F54/P79 swap and I was concerned about detonation with the flattop pistons and the load on the ECU.

Now, having read all of this, I'm really wanting to get this rolling.

However, I'm at a loss to know what I need or what I should be on the lookout for. Manifolds? Oil pumps?

What sort of things would be REQUIRED for those of you who have made the jump from N/A F54/P79 to turbo? I have the FSM for the '82 280ZXT but I'm a little confused on which parts I need to complete it.

Thanks,

Jared

If you are keeping the 76' ecu, you'll need to do something about timing and fuel. You can use an n/a oil pump. The oil fitting in the block is bsp. You'll need a bsp adapter or tap it to npt. You stock sender will screw into npt. I find it easier to use the stock stock and hard line but you can get metal brake line and fitting cheap too.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mike,

I built mine as a higher compression (8.5-1) flat top turbo motor and I'm very pleased with the results. Since the car is mostly a street car, I wanted to have as much torque as I could get off boost. I think I accomplished this with the higher compression ratio. It did take me a while to tune the car but I'm now able to run 16lbs pounds of boost with no detonation. Oh and I have most of the turbo pieces if you'd like to mock up a build.

Joe

Joe I'd love to give you a call or exchange some emails so I can learn a little more about your setup. I ogled your car at the park last summer but I didn't realize what I was looking at!

And a side question - would a T3 / T04E turbo be "too much" for my lowly NA->turbo build?

Hey that sounds fantastic. I think 9psi on my N/A to turbo motor would be enough for me.

Hi Mike,

I built mine as a higher compression (8.5-1) flat top turbo motor and I'm very pleased with the results. Since the car is mostly a street car, I wanted to have as much torque as I could get off boost. I think I accomplished this with the higher compression ratio. It did take me a while to tune the car but I'm now able to run 16lbs pounds of boost with no detonation. Oh and I have most of the turbo pieces if you'd like to mock up a build.

Joe

Hi Mike,

Joe

So what are you using, F54 block with P90 head? Any rough idea what kind of dyno numbers you'll pull?

I'm running an f54/p90 combo .5mm oversize flat top pistons. All ARP bolts and 2 mm steel headgasket. CR 8.35:1.Megasquirt fuel and spark. Large FMIC and Holset HE351CW At 12psi boost , 15deg adv timing it will wheel spin in 3rd! no lag and very responsive.

No problems yet and I drive it hard

Ah good some specific internals info :twisted:

Thanks!

Based on that, when I rebuild my L28ET I might try grabbing some ARP bolts and forged flattop pistons. Perhaps join that up with a T3/T04E upgrade running 12-15ish psi and (if necessary) a little meth injection. Think that's too ambitious? (aka lots of detonation)

Hi Mike,

Joe

I'd definitely like to know more about your setup also. What are you using for fuel/management and inter cooling. Also what turbo?

Oh, I also used a turbo oil pump and blocked off the relief valve on the filter housing.

Detonation? all depends on what CR you're going to end up with, that and how cool you intake temps are. I should think 12 to 15 psi would be plenty for a very powerful engine. There's only so much timing you can pull before you start loosing power.

OK I've started my search for turbo parts and I've found a good 280ZX turbo fuel rail w/ injectors and the oil filter relocater.

Now, I've got a buddy who has a Z31 turbo oil pump. Will this work for my car?

If so, excellent. He's also got a T3, but first things first :iospalo:.

If you are keeping the 76' ecu, you'll need to do something about timing and fuel. You can use an n/a oil pump. The oil fitting in the block is bsp. You'll need a bsp adapter or tap it to npt. You stock sender will screw into npt. I find it easier to use the stock stock and hard line but you can get metal brake line and fitting cheap too.

Can you specify bsp and npt for us non-savvy people?

Would you advocate transplanting the S130 turbo ECU? I'm acquiring the distributor.

I think the stock dished pistons on the P90 head get like what, 7.4-1? So with flat-top pistons and a 2mm headgasket that would put you around 8-1?

So with the higher CR you wouldn't be able to run quite as much boost, you'd get more low rpm torque IIRC.

Therefore, and correct me if I'm wrong, because of the lower boost and less timing to avoid knock the engine wouldn't have as much peak horsepower, but with the higher CR would have more low end torque aka more streetability.

BSP is British standard pipe, It's the pipe fitting on your Z. NPT is national pipe thread, what is used in the US. The thread pitch is either the same or very close. The diameters differ a little, enough that bsp will fit into npt but not the other way.

Can you specify bsp and npt for us non-savvy people?

Would you advocate transplanting the S130 turbo ECU? I'm acquiring the distributor.

• 5 months later...

OK, let's get this party started...

I started to mock up the turbo on my parts car engine this weekend. I'm going to figure out the plumbing, and clean up all of the parts nicely. Then I'll take a few days off work and make the swap onto my running car.

I'm planning to ditch all of the coolant -> throttle body, air idle valve stuff, and EGR clutter. I'll be running Megasquirt-I V3 with spark - I guess that's MSnS-E.

Next on my to-do list: relocate the PCV, block off the EGR and cold start injector, block off coolant passages on the throttle body, and start building the down pipe, air intake pipe, and charge pipe.

Still to figure out: oil feed connections, choosing sensors for MS (probably GM open IAT with the stock datsun coolant temp sensor). And, figure out what the widget is on the bottom of the throttle body... and if I can remove it.

I'm in the market for some turbo fuel injectors. Can I use stock NA injectors with a longer pulsewidth? I bought some NA injectors thinking they were turbo, silly colorblindness - hey they looked brown to me!

IM003006.sized.jpg

IM003015.sized.jpg

That's correct, I'll use a stock J-pipe I picked up on EBay. I can always intercool it later. For now, I plan to run stock boost.

I will keep this thread updated with information, questions, and pictures as the work progresses. I move slowly though!!