HybridZ

'78 280Z: N/A L28 - Best HP Increases W/O Turbo?

OR-JO

not sure if its called this "squirt" its a manual EFI system that you tune yourself and everyone that I have seens install this component seems to to be very satisfied.

if your going with a bigger stroke don't forget the exhaust. If you make your engine breathe more the more it needs to exspell the exhaust.

if you go with the carbs and are knowledgable on them I reccomend the tripple webbers, they'll make anyone cream.

I know, I've been on the zstore site all damn day. Ohh those triple webbers....mmmmm...them's are zweet.

--

I was thinking of starting with the rear disc brake conversion then going from there. I need to play with my shift linkage (very sloppy), and then possibly hook up one of the zstore exhaust kits if it fits the current header I have. Body work - maybe some springs - should keep me busy at least for a while.

I was thinking of starting with the rear disc brake conversion then going from there. I need to play with my shift linkage (very sloppy), and then possibly hook up one of the zstore exhaust kits if it fits the current header I have. Body work - maybe some springs - should keep me busy at least for a while.

Sounds like the responsible way to get started! :)

The Modern Motorsports rear disc conversion is probably the best reviewed, and also the kit I went with. You can pick up 240SX rear calipers relatively inexpensively on Ebay. Before you commit, however, take a look at a recent thread (by Mikelly IIRC) about using vented Mustang rear calipers with the 280ZX rear brake brackets. Sounds pretty promising.

I had the same shifter linkage issue. It seems the sleeve inside the shifter either wears out or is just plain missing. Just take a trip to Ace and get an appropriate sleeve to match the bolt and shifter and it will be nice and snug.

- Greg -

Sounds like the responsible way to get started! :)

The Modern Motorsports rear disc conversion is probably the best reviewed, and also the kit I went with. You can pick up 240SX rear calipers relatively inexpensively on Ebay. Before you commit, however, take a look at a recent thread (by Mikelly IIRC) about using vented Mustang rear calipers with the 280ZX rear brake brackets. Sounds pretty promising.

I had the same shifter linkage issue. It seems the sleeve inside the shifter either wears out or is just plain missing. Just take a trip to Ace and get an appropriate sleeve to match the bolt and shifter and it will be nice and snug.

- Greg -

Copper sleeve used for shifter bushing FTW.

Take your shifter boot off, and look at the shifter bushing.. it is very easy to mock up a bushing out of pieces of copper, and it lasts longer than rubber. Maybe it transmits a bit more vibration to the shifter lever, but I couldn't care less.

those carbs come up on ebay everyonce in awhile and most of the time they just need to be cleaned and rebuilt end up being half the cost of new and then you could send them out to get coated or polished, brakes are a good way to go though if you making more power you should always increase your stopping power.

its the adult thing to do!! LOL

also check you head options i have an 81 with a snyder mid range cam and it pulls pretty hard at about 2k-6k

Personally I think the first two things that should be addressed on any S30 are brakes and suspension. Adding power is not only a waste but dangerous until you do those two first. I would hope that header will make a difference, plus it's free.

- Greg -

In a perferct world we all might agree, but it actually depends on what you have to work with.

My motor will be first because it's currently dead.

Kinda like gettin a hip replacement when you really need a triple by-pass.:nono:

Yeah, those webbers sound awesome. I'll ask even thought I know I can't...but how much for your used webbers?

Just curious what those might run me in the future?

I was making an inference to upgrades and surgery.

Hip replacement is to brakes/suspension as a triple bypass is to rebuilding a motor.

Sorry for the confusion.

My surgery is still in progress:

2.8L with .040 over-Ross pistons, N47 ported head, Isky Stage 3, rebuilt SUs, and 2.5 exhaust/Borla XR-1 muffler.

In a perferct world we all might agree, but it actually depends on what you have to work with.

My motor will be first because it's currently dead.

Kinda like gettin a hip replacement when you really need a triple by-pass.:nono:

Hehe... fair enough. Good analogy too.

Even though my motor still runs Im not optimistic that I can pass emissions with it and it will be replaced with a modern EFI turbo motor. I still overhauled the brakes first, however. I figure stopping is more important than going ;)

- Greg -

I wouldn't be to quick to toss the stock 280z fuel injection in favor of carbs. The stock fuel injection is a good simple reliable system. Like any other part of a thirty year old car, it must be brought up to factory spec, but once done it will perform well for years with zero maintenance. First step is to replace every vacumn line on the system. Unless recently done, they are cracked, crusty and old. Second step is to disconnect every electrical connector on the fuel injection system and blow out with some electrical contact cleaner spray. The fuel injection wiring harness is a complete separate wiring harness from the rest of the car. There are only around a dozen connectors. Clean 'em up good. The connectors onto the actual fuel injector get crusty, but new replacement connectors are cheap, available and easy to splice in. Download the fuel injection 'bible' (search). It's the factory service manual for the fuel injection and it explains the whole system and give diagnoistic procedures. Go to atlantic Z car club web site and check out blues tips for modding and maintaining the system. (again search man search) Once the above is done, this system will perform nicely. Replace the stock air filter with a high flow cone filter, install your header, have the exhaust shop plumb a 2 1/2" pipe to a decent high flow muffler and done.

I wouldn't worry about a rear disc conversion, just get the stoack brakes working well. Replace the bushings in the suspension (or have them replaced by a reputable Zcar shop) and enjoy.

If you do decide to go carbs, PM me and I will buy the fuel injection manifold, throttle body and air flow meter from you.

• 2 years later...

I didn't want to sound rude, but I was REALLY tempted to post this before, and since someone replied without noting how old this thread is and how random the bump is...

*I* have always said you've got no business forum-chatting if you can't recognize necroposting :bonk::ph34r: