HybridZ

Brake Breakthrough... Or "WOW, mike is working on his Z"

So I started a fire in the shop, jacked up the rear, started looking at the parts I have for my Mustang rear brake setup... I'd used a JCR 79-81ZX rear caliper adapter bracket many many years ago when I was running other cars, and I'd just kept these brackets for some goofy reason... So they're on the car, and I'm using a tape measure and dial caliper to pull some numbers... I'm writing down "stuff" and finally I thought "I wonder if the holes for the caliper mount are close to the holes for the bracket? Hmmm DING! Yes they are... 3.5-ish inches... SWEET! Well gee I wonder if the offset is the same with the rotor bolted snug??? DING! Yes it is. Well heck, let's drill out the hole on the bracket to match the size of the caliper bolt and see what we have, shall we?

30 minutes later I had every thing mocked up. There was about 1/32 of an inch of interference from the craddle for the caliper on the inside rubbing the rotor, but I was able to clearance that with a large grinding stone on a hand grinder. This whole setup now bolts direct with no funky adapter required... I don't know if that caliper conversion kit is still available, but this is huge because within 2 hours I was able to install a Mustang 11.75 inch diameter, .80 thick vented rotor on the rear, and the mustang caliper does have an E-brake function if you want to use it... And these parts are ALL OEM off the shelf! :2thumbs:

Now, On to wiring the sheetmetal dash with my Autometer gages! :2thumbs:

Mike

Jon, It's the same caliper mount as the JCR, which is the one I own. I checked the link and his pics. The hole and offset are for 79-81 280ZX caliper and rotor conversion onto a 70-78 Zcar. The Mustang caliper bolts to the outside of the bracket, with the bolt going thru the backside of the mount, and screwing into the caliper. It is a PERFECT offset, and "fit" to the rotor. Pads should wear perfectly with no under or overlap with the face of the rotor.

Doug, You can document it when you come to the shindig on the 19th of January. I'm using the Wilwood 2 piece rotor setup I bought off Jamie, But the calipers are OEM Ford. I'm using the 13inch front setup from the Cobras and the rear setup is the GT I believe.

The only thing I have left to do now is order some new rear caliper brake lines.

Mike