HybridZ

Half-Shaft update

Hey all. I just received a call from the guys who built my shafts. All this worry about articulation, geometry, and installation was for nothing. My problem was due to the shafts being made 1.5 too short! The tech told me how sorry he was for the mix-up and that " I rarely make mistakes " ... in his words not mine. What a joke. I hope he pulls his head out of his rear long enough to fix the issue and not make excuses for it. He promised that I would have them before the years end. I will keep you guys posted. jh

Thanks guys. Now that the shaft problem seems to be sorted out I feel a little more energized about getting back on it. This should be enough time to finish up the Z and get it more streetable before the weather goes completely south. I will post some pics and a full run down of the car when it's done. jh

The shafts were built by the DriveShaft Shop. I was told that they are the guys to go with for custom stuff. I'm sure they usually do great work, but not this time around. The shafts are approx 15 inch long with stock outer cups(reconditioned), center shaft is 300M, and the inboard has custom slipers that allow track adjustment for slicks. I chose the Stage 2 upgrade which rates these around 600bhp/torque. They are originally from a 81 280ZX Turbo with the R200 diff. The outer stub-axels are custom built from Moser Engineering via Modern Motorsports. As for lowering, the Z has been dumped down to a 3.875 inch ground clearance ...which isn't alot but it seems to clear ok.

Thanks guys. Now that the shaft problem seems to be sorted out I feel a little more energized about getting back on it. This should be enough time to finish up the Z and get it more streetable before the weather goes completely south. jh

jay, didn't you mean to say "before the weather goes completely north"?

a bit of tongue in cheek...here's a z in my driveway-just snapped this pic!:cool:

DSC05534.JPG

My car has moved from one end of the lift to the other. Not much experience with them yet. I know Tom uses there shafts in a high HP turbo road course car and has had no problems at all with there shafts.

I've also been in there shop and they seem to know what they are talking about. They do alot of parts. Lots of high HP front wheel drive stuff to drive shafts and axels for high hp diesel pickups. I feel pretty confident in there parts.

Mine were also the wrong length BUT all it was was the shafts were put together wrong. The Diff side of the shafts were installed on the wrong axles. Long one on the short side ect. Once i figured this out it was GTG

I went from breaking the stock halfshafts to breaking z31 stub shafts. then i sold the entire setup. I really like this setup and if i do another Z will be buying this setup and using a gtr diff and axles.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122079