HybridZ

possible bolt on 6spd trans for VK series engines?

Mack

I was poking around for some info on the vq40de for a 240sx swap and came across these few gems.......

"I believe you are mistaken about putting the 350Z transmission on the VQ40. They are using the same bellhousing patterns on the VK45DE, VQ40DE, and VQ35HR which does NOT match the 350Z bellhousing."

""The rear of the block has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the VK45 and 56 as well as the VQ40DE, some interesting info for all of you swapaholics out there. "

and

"very important:

i have rebuilt both the vq35 and vq40

vq40 6speed is the 350z six speed but i think the bellhousing is different. i say this because looking at the darn thing it is huge. im 99% sure the vq40 has a larger/different bellhousing pattern and corresponding bellhousing on tranny.

also, vq35de block is same design as older vq30de with different dimmensions. vq40de is very different. its so different that it should have its own family name(instead of vq). its a two piece crankcase split at the crankshaft. the main caps/girdle are all one piece with the lower crankcase/upper oil pan. the last one i had apart i took pictures of. i need to find them and post them.

any vq40/vq30-35 swappage will not be simple bolt on stuff."

so then, a quick trip to car-part.com has 6spd 2wd frontier transmissions going for $650 to $1500. thought I would share this with my Z bretheren. and I hope this hasnt been posted before, if it has, i apologize.

VQ40DE shares the same bell housing design as the VQ35HR and I think the VQ37. The VQ35DE has the older pattern. The VK45/56 doesn't have the same pattern as the VQ40/35HR. We were looking into it over at NICO and found out that someone screwed up pretty bad in that article.

This adapter plate is for the VK56 (starter on top). They say its for a 5-speed but the bolt pattern looks more like the newer 6-speeds.

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc2.htm

well that sucks. still tho, a vq40DE can be had for around $1200 and the accompanying 6spd for around $800 and youd have a nice, boost freindly setup with a low CR for around $2k.

Any idea how much that 6spd can take? Grenading trannies isn't a fun thing . . .

I would bet that the truck 6spd is a bit stronger than the 350Z trans. the truck is rated to tow 5500lbs and its also behind a motor that grunts out a fair bit more torque than a 350Z motor. Thats the way nissan usually rolls. truck stuff is more heavy duty than comparable car stuff.

yeah, I saw that. something ridiculious like a 4.38:1 ratio???? wow. time to start looking for that elusive 3.36 R200.

on the brighter side of things, it looks like they meant business with that VQ40DE engine. that thing looks like its meant to take some serious abuse. throw some boost and forged pistons in it and dont look back. 1000rwhp here I come, lol!

• 5 months later...