HybridZ

Tribute to my Z...

...or whatever you want to call it. It hurts to write this...but the Z is gone. It started off as a $1 bet to build the baddest open class road race car to ever compete in the the series (calderapromotions.com), but I never made it to the race. I bought a 1973 240Z, with a blowed up 327 in it and stock everything else, gutted it, caged it, built a motor that made 550hp (conservative #) at the crank, stuck a TKO600 box behind it with a R200/4.68/Quaiffe, some 315/35/17 ®, 275/40/17(F), 13" front brakes, badass suspension, and a bunch of other trick Chit. The car got towed away tonight by its new owner. There was a tear down my cheek. This Z was definately the fastest, most powerful beast that I have ever sat in. It got rubber rolling into the loud pedal doing 120 in fourth. The only time it ever straightened out on the track was for the brief moment that I lifted between acceleration and braking. It was awesome...better than.....anything I've ever experienced. But the operating costs were more than I could handle. The car only ever made 20 laps, during which 20 gallons of 110 octane fuel were consumed along with 2 sets of tires, which translates into a $3000+ weekend, which unfortunatly, I can't afford on a regular basis. So I've decided to part ways with the machine that I invested a years worth of paycheks, blood, and sweat into....and take up a more affordable hobby. I love racing, and I miss it already.

A few picture of the Z to remember it by...

th_Datsunbuild030.jpg

th_Datsunbuild034.jpg

th_Datsunbuild033.jpg

th_Datsunbuild031.jpg

....but I've still got a garage full of pieces, and I'll build a bigger badder faster one some day, when money and time permits.

This will be my last post here for a while, and it was an absolute pleasure meeting and communicating with a lot of you out there in internet land. I want to say thank you for this great resource, and all the information and tips I have recieved from this site, without which I couldn't have built my car.

I've taken up off roading and playing on the rocks, becuase I can have a whole day of seat time for the price of a couple gallons of pump gas. Its almost as much fun, but still doesn't fill the void......hopefully in a few years I'll have enough money saved up to build and campaign another Z for a while at the track.

Good luck with your new endeavors. I think you contributed a lot to the forum and came up with some innovative brake ideas. I also think you ended up with a real monster of a Z that had an extremely clean look (even without paint). Keep the shiny side up.

You'll have a Z again someday :2thumbs:

Davy