HybridZ

L6 DIS Brackets (LSX Coils) Now Available

RTz

• Administrators

Finally released, our exclusive coil mounts and custom Magnecor wires...

Please read this post in its entirety before ordering. If there is anything unclear, please ask.

brack1.jpg

texture.jpg

BareCoilBracket.jpg

HintzCoils_bracket.jpg

BarntsCoilsA.jpg

MikeHintzCoils.jpg

Block mounting points...

coilbracket.jpg

Made from 3/16" 6061 Aluminum.

Mount Price: $99 shipped anywhere in the US.

If outside the US, PM for pricing.

Available Magnecor wires...

KV85 Competition 8.5mm, RED, Part #65285

ELECTROSPORTS SERIES 8mm, BLUE, Part #60285

ELECTROSPORTS SERIES 7mm, BLACK, Part #67285

Order direct @ (248) 471-9505

http://www.magnecor.com

1. Price does not include coils.

2. Mount will require rerouting heater hose.

3. The mounts come with a light DA sanded finish as shown in photo 2. They are ready for paint, or polishes with minimal effort.

4. Included hardware... stand-offs and S.S. bolts for mounting to the block. All extra hardware not included.

5. Coil Part Number: 12558693, or 2000 Chev. Suburban 5.3L

6. Connector Part Number: 12582189 (connectors only come in batches of 4, as a sub-harness)

7. Coils known to work with Wolf3D, Haltech, Motec, J&S, and Megasquirt. It's up to you to know if and how they will work with your specific EMS.

Coil Schematic...

CoilPinOuts.jpg

Pin A... can be grounded to the block, but my recommendation is the head.

Pin B... needs to be grounded at the same location as the ECU.

Pin C... to ignition channel.

Pin D... provide a good 12 volt power source (with key 'on').

Begin with 3.5ms dwell. Test and tune for best ignition performance.

For ordering send a PM or post here.

Guest 280ZForce

Any info on if you are able to use this setup with megasquirt?

I'd love to go this route, but don't know what all is needed to do so. Maybe I can talk to Bo (ktm) about it since he's local to me.

"5. Coil Part Number: 12558693, or 2000 Chev. Suburban 5.3L"

This is a key distinction. I am running LS-1 coils out of a 2001 Firebird. The coil shape is slightly different. Specifically, look at the mounting tab on the coil. The truck coils tab is 90 degrees to the coil projector; my coil projector is inline with the mounting tab:

ls1coil.JPG

Engine41.JPG

I would imagine that you would not be able to use Ron's mount and my coil type. The coil projector may hit the plate.

• Administrators

Trumpet,

I believe you told me you intended to use MS. May I suggest you do a little research on wire brand first? I believe you'll find a large number of people have run into MS resets running some of the other popular wires. Magnecor has superior suppression qualities and have proven to be consistently compatible with MS's sensitivity to EMF/EMI. Do some searching on this forum and you'll find Magnecor has cured resets on more than one occasion.

Guest 280ZForce

is there an msd replacement part for these coils that mount the same as OEM so they can work with your mount?

I've been searching, maybe the picture shown is incorrect, but they look different.

I've found these though...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D82468&N=700+4294925143+4294908216+4294924666+4294839969+4294907174+4294890813+115&autoview=sku

• Administrators

I'm not aware of a direct aftermarket replacement. Your link 'suggest' they are, but the picture shows a different mount orientation (and there are various connector styles). Its common for Summit to use a generic picture, though.

However, I'm not convinced you need an aftermarket coil. I know of a chap running 1500hp endurance V8's with OE coils. Thats 187hp per/cyl. So, if you keep your L under 1100 hp, you should be good to go :wink:

I frequently pick them up at the JY and they can also be purchased from a dealer. Gilbert Chevrolet has the best prices so far.

Guys, for about the price of a good ignition box for a 6 cylinder, you can have one of Ron's custom mounts + LS1 coils, and suitable wires to wrap it all up, and have the ability to swap coils at ANY shop, and have the benefit of better spark, and OEM quality that powers some very high horsepower factory, and modified engines. Not to mention this setup will very likely (if not indefinitely) out perform whatever box it is that you got your eye on within this price range once all is said and done.

you can't find a better custom made (or perhaps even off the shelf) product at a price close to what Ron is offering here.

This is the same guy that brought you those nice mount designs too!!!

and look how nice it is =D

Guest 280ZForce

I sent a MO out the other day for his mount and bought some of the magnecor r100 (10mm) custom wires.

Found some used LS1 coil packs w/ low miles for $55 shipped on ls1tech.com, 2 sets of coil pack harnesses $50 shipped on ebay...

Now I can sell my MSD 6BTM box, MSD plug wires and MSD blaster coil.

This setup is gonna look so much cleaner and perform so much better!

Thanks Ron!

I sent a MO out the other day for his mount and bought some of the magnecor r100 (10mm) custom wires.

Found some used LS1 coil packs w/ low miles for $55 shipped on ls1tech.com, 2 sets of coil pack harnesses $50 shipped on ebay...

Now I can sell my MSD 6BTM box, MSD plug wires and MSD blaster coil.

This setup is gonna look so much cleaner and perform so much better!

Thanks Ron!

Do the LS1 coils work, or is it the suburban coils only?

Guest 280ZForce
Do the LS1 coils work, or is it the suburban coils only?

supposedley only the GM trucks have the coil packs ron made this mount for. there are two different type of GM LS1 coil packs from what I've been told. 1 for the trucks and 1 for the cars, ktm (as pictured above) had coil packs from a car that don't work with this mount.

BUT what I've found is that the 1 Ron uses is common on the cars too. when searching for them, just make sure they look like the ones Ron shows.

I made a look-a-like mounting bracket (from Ron's design) in my garage with all the parts from my local hardware store,8.5 plug wires, etc. and it ran well over the price he is offering. Not to mention Ron's bracket is a much better design and much more cosmetically pleasing. Unbelievable Price!

Tnx Ron I cant wait to tell the Z club.

• Administrators
so i'm very interested BUT where will i be able to reroute my heater hose to?

One method is to put a Tee fitting in the lower rad. hose, near the frame rail. Run the heater hose along the rail and up the firewall to the existing heater outlet. The yellow ZX in my first post is done that way.

Another method I saw was a tight brass 90 elbow in place of the existing straight nipple. It pointed down and 'just' cleared coil #1.

There are other options as well... being creative is what its all about, yes? :wink: