HybridZ

running a 260z without the brake booster?

hello all,

I have a 260z and the brake booster or check valve has gone out a bit ago. When i drive around and hit the break, it makes a hissing sound and turn the idle of the car erratic to almost stalling. I am going to go buy a new check valve to see if its it (knowing my luck it is never that simple). But if not i can not afford a new brake booster right now. I'm sinking a lot of money into the body work and paint right now and just need time to come up with extra cash.

So if its not the check valve, can i just disconnect the booster vent line from the intake manifold and drive like that? leaving the booster in place.

thanks in advance everyone.

casey

hello all,

I have a 260z and the brake booster or check valve has gone out a bit ago. When i drive around and hit the break, it makes a hissing sound and turn the idle of the car erratic to almost stalling. I am going to go buy a new check valve to see if its it (knowing my luck it is never that simple). But if not i can not afford a new brake booster right now. I'm sinking a lot of money into the body work and paint right now and just need time to come up with extra cash.

So if its not the check valve, can i just disconnect the booster vent line from the intake manifold and drive like that? leaving the booster in place.

thanks in advance everyone.

casey

You physically can drive the car around. I would recommend you feel how hard it is to stop FAST with a brake booster. Its not something for a DD IMO. You can accomplish this by driving down the road making sure no one is around you and turning off the car. Make sure you don't turn the key to lock and lock the steering wheel. Then pump the brakes alittle to get the vacuum out. Then try to stop fast. This is how it will be without a brake booster. Good luck.

I dont think my first Z ... way back in high school ... ever had working brake booster. It was REAL hard to push the brake pedal. Just disconnect and try. Ended up getting a ticket for being too lazy to completely stop at a stopsign due to this. It almost takes both feet on the pedal if there's a long light.

Cameron

I ran my 260 without the booster for months because if your booster goes out it is probably because your mc is leaking which mine was which added more cost to the repair. The car will stop fine, even had to do a couple panic stops and all was good. Its not like you will be towing anything or the car weighs 4k lbs. Just drive like a normal responsible person and you will be fine. I installed the 10 inch booster and the 15/16 mc and all is good now. Get it fix as soon as you can, but you will be fine, hell my 66 chevy truck weighing over 4k and no pb and 4 wheel drum stops.