HybridZ

Mustang Cobra Rear Brakes installed - Pics...

OK Gang, here are pics of the 99-04 Cobra rear brakes installed on the Zcar using the JCR bracket. Don't panic, YES that's a wilwood two piece rotor you see in the pics. It's wilwoods direct replacement kit, and is exactly the same size as the OEM steal rotor. I'll be installing the factory OEM parts on another member's car in the spring and we'll take pics.

PICT0228.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

PICT0241.jpg

PICT0231.jpg

PICT0230.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/Mikelly_2006/My%20Real%20Life%20Zcar%20Project/PICT0229.jpg

PICT0236.jpg

Mike

mike, if i'm interpreting the pics correctly it apprears as though you can retain a 'factory' parking brake. do you plan to use it? what is the diameter of the rotor? last Q, is the caliper bracket the same [i know this one may be dumb] as the 240sx bracket that mml offers [wondering if it would bolt right up to mine...]?

thanks

I have removed all the hardware from the interior, including the parking brake handle, and don't plan to use it myself. I have a parkloc installed, and will just use that. However, this is the same caliper Ross uses with his 13inch BB kit, and you can use the E-brake function with it.

The rear rotor diameter on the 99-04 cobra is 11.75 inches (approx.)

I have no clue. I've never had a 240SX adapter bracket. However, I do know that JCR still sells the brackets. Another member here just ordered them for $199.

Mike

mike, if i'm interpreting the pics correctly it apprears as though you can retain a 'factory' parking brake. do you plan to use it? what is the diameter of the rotor? last Q, is the caliper bracket the same [i know this one may be dumb] as the 240sx bracket that mml offers [wondering if it would bolt right up to mine...]?

thanks

I have a parkloc installed

Can you supply some more info on this piece? I searched GOOGLE for Parkloc , ParkLock , Parklok and get like 3 hits total?? Is this the keyed swithc that is run in line w/ your brakes, you press the brake peddle, turn the key, and your brakes are set?

Can you supply some more info on this piece? I searched GOOGLE for Parkloc , ParkLock , Parklok and get like 3 hits total?? Is this the keyed swithc that is run in line w/ your brakes, you press the brake peddle, turn the key, and your brakes are set?

Try line lock, or some abrieviation of that.

I'd have to say "It should". However, I went with this package because the OEM fronts are 13inch rotors that are vented and a really nice caliper setup. The fronts won't fit behind a 15 inch wheel.

WilwoodFrontBrakeKit.jpg

These are the fronts.

Mike

This is a real nice upgrade. FoMoCo off-the-shelf parts PLUS a big performance upgrade. The Cobra rear pads are 49.60 sq. cm. (62mm x 80mm) which are larger than even the 300zxTT (Pads = 40.15 sq.cm (73mm x 55mm)). It also looks like you could adapt the mechanical parking brake to work with the stock handle.

As for rotors, the 300zxTT has a 297mm x 18mm rear rotor, the Ford uses a 296.2mm x 18.3mm. Lots of capacity.

Looks like a winner! Nice job Mike!

I smell a sticky . . .

I "think" we'll be doing an install on Joe G's car during the January 19th shindig. Anyone in the area can see exactly what it will take to install these during that install! Maybe we can get Doug Carrow to do a write up on it...

Mike

• 1 month later...
I "think" we'll be doing an install on Joe G's car during the January 19th shindig. Anyone in the area can see exactly what it will take to install these during that install! Maybe we can get Doug Carrow to do a write up on it...

Mike

so have you done it wet? did the e-brake work?

I have had cobra rotors on my car since late august, with great results. I have gone to 150+ down to zero a couple times in a row with no brake fade. Here is some shots.

DSCN1078-600x450.jpg

DSCN1129-600x450.jpg

DSCN1300-600x450.jpg

DownPipesCuda_039-600x450.jpg

Ofcourse I built my own brackets on my CNC machine, to accept wilwood

calipers out of 7075 alluminum.