HybridZ

I confess

Dudeboy

Finally,

I am back in the garage and saved up a few more dollars to buy more parts. So, I have read the stickys' and read every post about chassis electrics. I ripped out the electric stuff with the plan of installing all new electric harness myself, but I have come to the conclusion car electrics is my limitation. I can do engine work, brakes, suspension and even bodywork but electric outside of stereo equipment some of it makes sense and other parts do not. So, I confess !! I am in search of someone or a hot-rod / race shop that can do the chassis electric in Georgia. I am still doing everything else, but I can not mess with the electric stuff, it has been on my mind for awhile and after a co-workers car burned up in the parking lot today- I think it was a sign !!!!!!!!!!

Good morning,

Forrest, that was the first book I purchased and there is another one I purchased from Speedway that is pretty good. I talk to guy who did his on electric for his Factory Five Cobra and he stated all the basic stuff -take your time, do one area at a time, lay the harness out and write down the electric blueprint. I found out later this guy is a electrician by trade !!!! I Understand the foundation of chassis electronics, but to apply what I have read is another thing.

Dude,

I don't blame you Glenn, I had to get some help with mine too. I just didn't get it until I watched Brandt for a while. Now it seems easy. And we are not alone. He works for every hot rod and custom shop in this area, and thats all he does, is wire cars. You might check in your area and see if there is anyone out there like that.

Mike

Jtmny1999,

You have a skill many would pay for (including me!!!) Hey Mike your web page and photos got me to this point, along with some help from other members. But, the thing I have a fear of is missing a ground or relay and my Z catching on fire !!!! I will do everything else brakes, bodywork, suspension, interior -but, I have thrown in the towel on the electric stuff. Yes, Evan I will to turn it over to someone who knows what they are doing so, I am searching for a car electrician.

Glenn, as I alluded to on the other forum, after my nightmares with getting my supercharger installed on the C6, at the most respected shop in atlanta, at that, you really don't want to trust anyone else to do your work. Maybe someone here with a little experience can help. I've only rewired a stock harness myself, but patience and time was all it took.

I will never pay a shop to do worse work than I could have done myself again.

Jtmny1999,

I have a fear of is missing a ground or relay and my Z catching on fire !!!!

A missing ground or relay should mean that something doesn't work, not a fire.

Fires are generally started when a circuit is overloaded- Too big a fuse and too large a load for the wire used on that circuit. Wire gets hot, plastic insulation melts and... smoke.

Properly sized fuses will melt away before the wires get hot (run the plastic insulated wires across an exhaust manifold, though, and all bets are off).

If a person has a fuse blow, and 'solves the problem' by putting in a bigger fuse rather than chasing down the short, he's begging for a fire.

I've wired a couple of project cars, and more recently, my house. I won't say that no mistakes were made, but no fires, and my lights and appliances work.

My guess is that wiring kits come with fuses already sized for each circuit (although I've never used a kit, so can't swear to it).

Hope you get your Z wired soon, however it gets done! :burnout:

<>

I was an avionics tech in Marines on F18's, so I've learned a thing or two about electrical systems. The painless wiring kits a very straight forward and the wires are labeled as to their circuits. I am in Gainesville Florida about 5 hours south of you. If you can get the car to me I can help you put one in over a day.

Do not pay anybody to rewire your car!!!!

Unless you have seen work of theirs in person. They may say they know what they are doing and you will end up with a rats nest. For a lot of people out of sight is out of mind especially if it isn't their car. Ive seen more botched electrical jobs from shops then I can remember.

Painless wiring is pretty simple I suggest that route.

240Hoke, I can have you on a plane to sunny Georgia and you can take over the wiring !!! Hey Mike, I know you had some challenges with C6 and I am taking no chances on shady workmanship. Warren just about have me convinced that I can do the electric stuff !!! I am going to get through the holidays and work on some other areas of the Z, maybe I will have more confidence as I get back into the garage. I hope to be up and running before DNI !!!

V8ZRACER260Z, Thank you for the offer and I will keep your offer in mind.

Do not pay anybody to rewire your car!!!!

Unless you have seen work of theirs in person. They may say they know what they are doing and you will end up with a rats nest. For a lot of people out of sight is out of mind especially if it isn't their car. Ive seen more botched electrical jobs from shops then I can remember.

This!