HybridZ

WHY m3's powercurve is so much superior to an LS!! or swap a v10 in there of an m5!! but an LS??

A stock e36 m3 has about 230 hp and 220 torque. No matter the shape of the curve, if it maxes out at 220, it is not in any way superior to any ls based engine. It is a very fun car to drive and they handel exceptionally well.

The price is steep especially when compared to the JTR stuff.

If I ever blew the engine in mine I would definitely replace it with an LSx/T56 or 2JZ/R154. I would imagine most M3 owners are mechanically-challenged so that company has a corner of the market and can dictate pricing. However, no basic swap kit, no matter how well it is designed and fabricated, should cost that much. I can only imagine what a full kit with the 8.8 IRS swap would cost. Certainly more than an E36 M3 is worth. Then add the cost of the LSx/T56 with a new clutch!

I will probably never get to do this swap since I do not expect the engine to go south. Like a 911, you have own, drive and live with an M3 to really appreciate one.

• Administrators

C’mon guys. This guy has a hand in building Darius’s car, he asks a very simple valid question and the very first reply starts in with BMW Purism? You all are members of a very well established anti purism high performance automotive forum, aka HybridZ, where everything from inline four cylinders to V-12’s and diesels stuffed under the hoods of old Datsun’s is acceptable, and you question this guys engine conversion? I'm ashamed for you as we all know better than that.

emoticon_super_facc_pack1_www.ptkweb.it_%2520(68).gif

He did not ask anyone’s opinion about the whether or not the OE BMW engine should be removed for an LSx, he asked about Forums dedicated to Hybrid Bimmers. It may not be a Z car, but it is a Hybrid, regardless of the badge on the hood! Please show the same respect to him that you would want concerning your hybrid Z car.

The "no purism allowed" drum has been beat...

This is something that I would love to one day do with my 1992 325is. Stock it had around 180 hp, and in present condition probably makes less. Off the line it’s slower than my 1990 Honda (2.2L 4-cylinder), and the Honda is in dire beater condition. In many regards it is a very satisfying car to drive - good handling, reasonable creature-comforts without lavish ostentation, pleasing aesthetics and compact external dimensions. In many regards it’s superior to present-generation coupes. It just lacks power.

The engine bay is relatively roomy, as is the case for most L6-equipped cars. It’s just begging for a LS3 swap! But to me the complexity of such a swap would be overwhelming. It’s a 15 year old car, but when I open the hood, any enthusiasm to work on it becomes instantly drained. Recently I did manage to replace the thermostat - took several hours, amidst much cursing. The clutch throwout bearing gave out over the summer - I didn’t even consider doing the job myself.

It seems that everything in the European-car aftermarket is a ripoff, but if I were to act on doing the BMW V8 swap, at this point I’d just pay a shop to do it.

I have to agree w/Paul. I like the idea of the LS BMW, even if it is for an M3.

It is your car so do what you want w/it. BUT, since it is an M3, be sure and save all engine parts/attachments in case you wish to sell it one day.

Hey, Michael. I also have been following Vorshlag for sometime now regarding their e36 LS kits. It is one of the reasons I have not really pursued my V8/Z. I keep going back/forth as my college car was a 240Z and I really like the original design of the Z so I cant really seem to let the Z go.

With that in mind I have seriously been thinking about buying one of the e36's as they have become really affordable in the past few years; yet I dont really know anything about them.

How dependable/temper-mental are they? I was thinking about buying one and driving it till it gave up the ghost then maybe do a swap as the budget allows.

Vorshlag, claims their power to weight ratio is near 50/50. When Vorshlag first began the development of their kit there was some guy up north, Indiana or Iowa?, that had already done the swap in an e36 and the mid 90s 5 series. He was also planning on making a kit.

I am sure most would go w/the 2doors, but I like the idea of a small 4 door and american v8 w/european styling with 50/50 power to weight bias.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

He did not ask anyone’s opinion about the whether or not the OE BMW engine should be removed for an LSx, he asked about Forums dedicated to Hybrid Bimmers. It may not be a Z car, but it is a Hybrid, regardless of the badge on the hood! Please show the same respect to him that you would want concerning your hybrid Z car.

Good call,so i guess rather than saying my initial thought which was to agree that the existing engine is sweet and should not be replaced with detroit goodies:malebitch-i'll say take that bmw motor out and give it to me so that i can put it in my z that is looking for a new powerplant....sooo in a nutshell i once again have nothing important to say:bonk:

• Administrators
Good call,so i guess rather than saying my initial thought which was to agree that the existing engine is sweet and should not be replaced with detroit goodies:malebitch-i'll say take that bmw motor out and give it to me so that i can put it in my z that is looking for a new powerplant....sooo in a nutshell i once again have nothing important to say:bonk:

That would be a neat conversion for sure, (BMW Inline 6 in a Z car), boosted should be crazy. The BMW inline 6 has come up in a few bench racing sessions. I forget which BMW 6 cyl he felt would be a nice conversion from an initial cost perspective as well as future power potential, but there was one that he spoke fondly of.

Hmmm….