HybridZ

LS_1 Electric Fan

The best answer would be to use the Camaro/Firebird twin fan set-up. The plugs are in the engine harness and then you also get to retain the computer control. It takes about 10 minutes to fab the mounting brackets and modify the shroud. If you watch Ebay you can get a set for maybe $50.

Hahahaha!!! Thats funny Mike! There is a story behind it.... I've always been a huge Michael Jackson fan. I dress, act and even try to dance like him. I've got the moon walk down!! :lmao: JUST KIDDING!!!

Real story! The pic is around 3-4 years old or so. The car was underconstruction. I called JTR to order the rad and mounting. I was talking to Mike's bro, telling him about my project. His responce was "My brother wants to talk to you." Mike Knell brought the rad kit out to my shop as well as the intake ducting. He installed it on my car as well as the one fuel rail cover (i guess so people would know what motor it is) and took alot of pix. I've known Mike for a few years now and he has been a big help with the 280z as well as my FD.

O.K. To get back on track. The taurus fan you want is for a 3.8l (2 speed) from the 90's. 25.00 from a wrecking yard.

Joey

Guest Grenade300

I used the JTR radiator in my LS1 swap combined with a 16 inch "Black Magic" cooling fan from either Jegs or Summit (about $300). The fan is rated to pull about 3000 cfm and does a wonderful job cooling. If you get the JTR radiator, DO NOT get the Camaro/Firebird cooling fan; it will not match up to the radiator (fan is to wide). I made this mistake and ended up selling my Camaro fan and got the Black Magic unit.

I attached a couple of pics. Not the best view angle, but you can see how the fan sits.

Edit: By the way, that swap is looking great. VERY CLEAN!

untitled_thumb.JPG

fan_thumb.JPG

I'm using the stock Camaro fans with the JTR radiator as well, but as I recall it took a fair amount of trimming to get a good fit. Also, had to make a couple of pieces out of ABS sheet to get a good seal but all in all not a big deal. This system has served me very well during the past couple of years. No cooling issues on a 100 degree plus days with the A/C blasting. I don't think this fan would clear the auto trans cooling lines for anyone with an automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

The JTR recommendation is the Two Speed Taurus fan. Pulls more cfm than any aftermarket fan out there [Fomoco spent a TON of money in R&D on that fan], is quieter, and much cheaper.

It is "made" for their radiator. The harder part is finding their recommended Volvo relay. It took me quite a while to source one that didn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

If you are having trouble finding the Two Speed Taurus fan [3.8L], PM me....

would someone mind telling me what years of coverage for that taurus fan. i found a few but they are dual fans.

There are actually several different fans used on Taurus'. Just keep walking around until you find one that looks like the second fan in post #15. If you find the Lincoln fan recommended by MikeJTR (i.e. JTR), then do us a favor and post a pic.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113189&highlight=lincoln+taurus

Grab the relays from the Taurus when you grab the fan. Doesn't have to be a Volvo relay.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered a lincoln / mustang 2 speed fan on ebay, but it has not arrived yet. I hope it looks like the one in the picture. That really looks great. NOW, how do you wire it and is the terminal in the JTR radiator a temp sensor. The JTR box had lots of parts, but no instructions. I have mounted it and worked out the hoses, but will have to remove to install fan if it ever gets here !!

check out cozy cole's posts as to how to wire the two spd fan.

i used his schematics ( i have a scarab, not an LS 1 ).

i modified his plans just a bit.

i use a 2nd fan temp sw that automatically turns the higher speed on, opposed to a manual sw on the dash.

be advised that you will burn the fan motor out if you try and run the low speed and high speed at the same time.

there are 3 wires on fan motor.

one is ground. one is low speed. one is high speed.

before engaging the high speed, you must shut off power to the low speed.

cozy's schematic shows how to use 3 relays and a fan temp sw ( you must use a fan switch, not a temp sender ) and a manual sw to power the fan.

his set up works excellent.

i used the JTR radiator and mount. i used the aluminum bars supplied by jtr. the bars run vertically on engine side of rad. i notched the bottom and top holes of rad mount, moved the bars more towards the center of rad.

i placed the fan and built in shroud on top of the mount ( on a bench ). carefully drilled through the shroud and into the vertical bars. did this on all corners ( not exactly on the corners, but you get the idea ).

i then tapped the vertical bars. used socket head bolts and rubber coated washers. threaded the bolts through holes in shroud into the vertical bars. ( lock tite on bolts ).

i also drilled a hole in jtr rad mount for the stock ford mounting hole. i used a tinner man nut on the jtr mount and ran a bolt through the stock ford hole into the tinner man nut.

i also did this with the factory hole on the bottom of tarus fan shroud.

there are other ways to mount the tarus fan to the jtr rad mount. this is how i did it.

i may be selling the scarab and doing an LS 1 swap into the bambi killer.

wayne

you may need to cut a dog ear off, i think the top left of shroud.

I have seen the Lincoln fans on eBay recently. They match the Taurus fan exactly...only they are 1-1.5" taller. The blade is 18" instead of 16". I have seen a couple of units with 'broader' and fewer blades [more straight/pie shaped] vs. Taurus' curved crescent-shaped blades.

I saw no specific mention on the JTR site recommending the Lincoln fan. And, based upon past experience, have little faith in a return email.

I have the JTR radiator, as many of you do. The Taurus fan has been used for several years with great success; but, I must say that I am intrigued by the idea of the Lincoln fan with 2" larger 'propeller'.

I stockpiled the Taurus fans [i have FOUR]; but, the next time I go to P-n-P I'm going to keep an open eye for the slightly larger 18" unit. If it 'covers' the JTR radiator better, I'd prefer that one...though I'm certain that the Taurus fan will be more than adequate.