HybridZ

Before and After intake manifold pics

hughdogz

Hey thanks e_racer!

I hope it was worth all the effort and it won't cause me headaches down the road. I have seven fittings tapped on the underside so I hope the hoses can take the heat! :flamedevi

I swear this is one of the last times I choose form over function, lol! I was able to gasket match to the Weber TB (it took about 1/8" around) and I smoothed out the bumps in the opening (from the air regulator bypass bosses). Also BRAAP recommended that I radius the #1 intake runner. :icon14: And it is so much easier to access the exhaust manifold bolts now!

Mopar69, if you still want the ugly stock turbo manifold I'll deliver it in person for one meelioon dollars! (in fact, I'd give you both for that much :mrgreen:)

Hey, I appreciate that Mopar. Actually, it's a totally different one...from a 1975 N42. We like this one since it has minimal bosses and no EGR. It has been a Saga...I have the details on my project page. The stock turbo would have been even more work to modify since it has so many fittings not to mention the webbing you mentioned.

Basically sand down the cast surface, cut off the bosses, grind them down. Then I filled in all the leftover holes with a MIG welder I converted to a ghetto spool gun. Grind, polish, lather, rinse, repeat until it looks like it does today.

Also, I finally eliminated the stock turbo bypass valve completely. Before I had my recirculating HKS BOV working without disabling the stock one (mainly because I didn't know how to disable it without a lot of work).

If it ever stops raining, I'll be able to test how it really turned out. Oh well...on to the next project...Wolf3D! :-D

that is a work of art... were did you get the anti sway bar?

Aw shucks you guys are going to make me cry! :P

The strut tower brace? I got them at the MSA show two years ago (I saved on shipping that way!) You can still get them: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC04

I got a pretty good deal on Suspension Techniques sway bars from shox.com.

Damn Yasin! Do you want to trade manifolds?! (j/k...I know it's your "baby"...I think yours is freaking awesome Man! :shock:)

I figure if the silicone hoses collapse under vacuum after a spirited run I'll go with steel braided A/N. If that doesn't help I'll see what happens after I install a ceramic coated turbine, downpipe and exhaust manifold. If that doesn't work, I'll get a tubine wrap like Timz. If I still have the problem I guess I'm going to have to retap the holes or go to a vacuum distribution block.

I really wanted to design and build a new one from scratch like you and the other advanced members have done (or are doing). I just need more skill, knowledge, and $$$.

Once I get the rest of the systems upgraded I'll come full circle and work on a new manifold.:iospalo:

Damn Yasin! Do you want to trade manifolds?! (j/k...I know it's your "baby"...I think yours is freaking awesome Man! :shock:)

I figure if the silicone hoses collapse under vacuum after a spirited run I'll go with steel braided A/N. If that doesn't help I'll see what happens after I install a ceramic coated turbine, downpipe and exhaust manifold. If that doesn't work, I'll get a tubine wrap like Timz. If I still have the problem I guess I'm going to have to retap the holes or go to a vacuum distribution block.

I really wanted to design and build a new one from scratch like you and the other advanced members have done (or are doing). I just need more skill, knowledge, and $$$.

Once I get the rest of the systems upgraded I'll come full circle and work on a new manifold.:iospalo:

Hugh - ManyThanks! I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Drop me a line when you start running your manifold and putting some runs on it.

My very best - Yasin

Hugh - ManyThanks! I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Drop me a line when you start running your manifold and putting some runs on it.

My very best - Yasin

Right on! It started up just fine yesterday. I had to adjust the idle screw two turns higher and lower my fuel pressure a tiny bit. I'll let you know how it goes. :burnout:

No worries on a threadjack(?) I love seeing other before / after pics too. Especially the fully-custom stuff!! :hail::cheers:

Hugh, That looks awesome man.. Did you polish it? or is that like a Jet hot coating? Looks great man!!!

Thanks for the props Gabe! Yeah, quite a bit of polishing went into it (not to mention sanding and wet-sanding!) I was considering a cerma-chrome coating when I first embarked on this endeavor but I'm not so sure now.

You can see blemishes where the filler aluminum is shinier than the stock alloy. Also, there is slight pitting in some of the welds from the trapped gasses because my welding skills aren't where they should be. I thought a coating would hide these and cut down on the heat transfer a little bit. I'm not sure you can polish the coating to a shine, but then again with a coating it will be one less thing to polish...hmm...

I don't know why I'm still so hung up on bling...Hybridz is slowly curing me of that ailment! Eventually I'll be making a custom one so I think my effort and $$ will be better spent somewhere else for now.

I still don't get it why some are saying that webbing and heat shields are so important. What are we worried about heating up? The manifold itself so it becomes an "interheater"? ...I can sort of see this as a problem at idle with stagnant air heating up. Heating the fuel in the rail? ...this might be a problem since I dead-headed my feed line. I know the vacuum hoses are a given problem where I have mine now.

It seems to me that a webbed manifold (without a heat shield) would add to the heat problem since there is more area for the radiant heat energy to transfer to, and it would trap more heat from the natural convection after the engine is turned off (or at idle). I must be missing something obvious. :hs:

It would be great to design an intake manifold with a "two-chamber" charge box like some others are already doing. Not sure why it is so much better than a single chamber (with volume ~1.5x the engine displacement). Something about converting the dynamic pressure to static pressure more efficiently??

Anyhoo, I want to thank everyone for their contributions to my post! :-D