HybridZ

Surfers Vehicle Recommendations?

tfreer85

Okay kinda of an odd question, but trying to find a decent surfing forum has been a major PITA. So back to good ol' hybridz and its diversity. Right now I'm driving a 01' Mazda 626 and its a decent car, but its killing me wanting to go surfing. Currently I'm riding a Bill Stewart 10ft board, I love it, for the areas I surf, but its a BIG board. I'm looking for a vehicle that can hold 3 to 4 surfboards at a time, biggest of course the 10-footer a 9'6" (brothers board) and then another 8-foot Fun Shape board (for larger breaks). The big kickers are I need decent MPG (+17 mpg or better), it can't be a large truck (apartment parking and school parking, etc.), it needs to be able to handle sand and be easily cleand of said sand. So far this is what I've been considering:

Old VW Van

1990's Style Jeep Cherokee (MPG ???)

Station wagon of sorts (ideas?)

Toyota Tacoma

Toyota 4Runner

Honda Element

I need the vehicle to be rugged but not a junker, still look respectable of sorts. Any ideas or welcome!! Thanks,

Tyson

element would probably be too short for the 10ft, even with the board on the roof, although the wetsuit like interior of the element would be good for the beach. tacoma truck is out of the question, unless you want the tip of your board broken off by overpasses or whatever it hangs over/back of on the truck. i'd say go the SUV route with a 4runner or the cherokee. that way you could hit up nice sets in remote places using the 4wd. the cherokee, specially the 4dr, has alot of room inside and outside for the boards, can probably fit the 10ft inside with the pass. seat reclined, both models would be with a straight six or v6, but mileage, specially on the newer ones, would be over 20mpg for sure. might even be able to find a 4cyl cherokee, but im not sure they make them. the make old school 4 runners with 4cyls, the 22re fuel injected 4cyl i belive, and with some tricks, can get decent gas mileage too, let alone are long-lasting bullet-proof motors. hope that helps, i don't know anything bout wagons cause i never owned one....

This is a Florida forum, but pretty good none the less.

www.2ndlight.com

I use a pick up and would use a pickup if i were you. My 02 Frontier gets 26mpg. Granted really only a 2 passanger, but boards are never a problem. Just pad the tail gate.

Look at older toyota 4X4 with 4 bangers. Very dependable as well.

Get a small pickup with a camper shell then strap the long board to the top of the shell. I have carried canoes that way. The bed will hold 6 footers with the gates closed and 8 footers can angle up off the tailgate and out the open camper shell hatch.

Or a truck with ladder racks.

A Subaru wagon with roof racks will work also.

Or a minivan with roof racks. A grand caravan can hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the inside. Put the 10 footer on the roof and the shorter boards on the inside. Then cruise the local soccer fields for women.

Hmm thanks for the input guys. Seems like i'm leaning mostly towards the Jeep Cherokee, moslty because of the 4x4 and what seems to be pretty good MPG. The wagons are cool, the 510 wagon would rock, my concerns though and it falls in with the VW is reliabiility and old age for a DD not requiring more than regular maintenance, and loosing some creature comforts of AC/Heat, power windows, etc. My Z is out of the question, cause its still on jackstands and isn't any better than the 626 really for transportation, comfort, etc. Budget is no more than 15k, the lower the better of course. Thanks,

Tyson

actually, vw engines are very reliable.

my dad drove his 2332 (a VERY big street engine for a bug) cross country and back (az to nc, nc to az) without any problems what so ever (and he drove it every day)

you do have heat, but it sucks, and you can have AC, not sure how to set one up in a bus, but they have kits for bugs. vw's are hard to kill, very hard (unless you run it out of oil)

Why not roof rack the 626?

I had at one point. The problem is, I want to be able to store my board with me. I.E. For going after class etc. I don't really want to store my board on my car for 8hrs of classes in a parking structure. The subaru wagon is a strikingly good idea, AWD, sporty, lots of room.

Thanks guys,

Tyson

I had at one point. The problem is, I want to be able to store my board with me. I.E. For going after class etc. I don't really want to store my board on my car for 8hrs of classes in a parking structure. The subaru wagon is a strikingly good idea, AWD, sporty, lots of room.

Thanks guys,

Tyson

I see, well the sube is prob'ly a little small. My '97 legacy has 6ft from tailgate to the back of the front seats. Maybe the baja's could fit longer? I really don't remember, the Impreza, Forester are a foot shorter.