HybridZ

Finally Got It Figured Out - Borg Warner T5 Rear Output Shaft Seal...Pics!

slownrusty

Moderators..maybe a sticky?

Hi Gang - As I get ready to put my brand new Borg Warner T5 into my 280ZX Turbo, I needed to purchase a rear output seal, where the drive shaft slips into.

Nissan Canada and Nissan USA both confirmed that this part is no longer available and has been discontinued for quite some time. This is not "hear-say", I actually called them to verify in December 2007.

So...here is what I did...I placed an order with NAPA and Advance Auto Parts to see what they could find, they both had a listing for this elusive seal, so I was excited. At the same time, I went to visit my local tranny shop to see what they had in stock as a comparisson.

Now bear in mind the actual OEM Nissan part (No. 3 in the pic. below), it is a one peice seal which has the metal collar or dust shield as one piece (or integral) with the actual rubber seal.

So here are the "Usual Suspects":

1) Is the Beck Arnley Seal I ordered from Advance Auto Parts. Beck Arnley part number 052-3506, purchase price $14.43. It took a week to get. The seal is made in Japan.

2) Is the seal I got from my local TrannyShop. Part number unkown, I got it for free.

3) Is an actual OEM Nissan Seal I have had laying around. It is in *OK* shape, but the rubber on the seal has lost its supple-ness.

4) Is the seal I ordered from NAPA. It took two weeks to get (!). SKF Part Number 13958. Purchase Price is $27.50. This seal is made in Japan.

296793781.jpg

So here is the Summary:

1) From Beck Arnley (Advance Auto Parts) is way too big by approx 4.7mm. This seal is actually for the NA Nissan 5speed (or B series tranny) and will NOT work with a Borg Warner T5.

2) The seal I got from my local tranny will work perfectly...but you will loose the metal collar or dust shield. The seal has to be 50.52mm O.D to fit in the BW T5 - which this one is.

3) Stock OEM Nissan as mentioned above.

4) The SKF 13958 seal from NAPA, is the one you want!!! It is actually an identical piece to the OEM Nissan seal in every way and is made in Japan by the same manufacturer for Nissan. The bonus is you get to keep the metal collar dust shield and although it is a little more money it is a perfect fit.

296793778.jpg

296793775.jpg

No more drippy Borg Warners! Hope that helps all and is useful data.

My best - Yasin

• Like 1

*Disclaimer* I'm still learning about these cars, so bear that in mind when I ask these questions. :D

I have seen mention of "T5" being used in the Z cars, but haven't found out how (dis)similar they may be to a domestic counter part, such as Mustang or Camaro T5, are there any pics of the "Nissan" BW T5 around, that I haven'y found yet?

Also this collar that is pictured, I would assume it faces the rear of the car and helps keep dust and debris away from the yoke/seal?

The seal pictured is the rear transmission extension seal. This is the location where the "slip joint" of the drive shaft inserts into the tail shaft of the transmission.

As for the pictures, the differences between the domestic counter parts and the nissan model are well documented in the forum. A search for T5 and WC T5 or World Class T5 will pull up quite a bit of info on the many different transmission ideas people have tossed around and give a good idea of the differences.

296793781.jpg

Being on my second seal (#2 from pic), I am getting very tired of my car marking its teritory everywhere I take it. It looks like I am going to have to make a trip to NAPA to get one (or maybe even two) of these newly discovered (located) seals (#4 from pic). Thanks slownrusty, I thought that after the transmission shop could not find the "right" seal and I could not find it I would just have to "live with it". Great job.

Dragonfly

Being on my second seal (#2 from pic), I am getting very tired of my car marking its teritory everywhere I take it. It looks like I am going to have to make a trip to NAPA to get one (or maybe even two) of these newly discovered (located) seals (#4 from pic). Thanks slownrusty, I thought that after the transmission shop could not find the "right" seal and I could not find it I would just have to "live with it". Great job.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly - The seal No.2 will typically "weep" or leak in time (metal on metal) and the trick is to use Locetite when you install it.

Are you intending on replacing the bronze bushing as well? If so, any tips would be appreicated. I'm planning on doing this to a generic T-5 before too long, and this would be of interest to me.

Terry - Which bronze bushing? Are you referring to the pilot bushing?

Great info Yasin. I will be ordering one to have as backup in case they re-disappear off the market (they certainly have failed on me before). Thanks for documenting it so nicely and sharing it.

My pleasure bro! Hope you are well!

My best - Yasin

I'm assuming there is a bronze bushing (actually, it's more a sleeve) in the tailhousing that the output shaft fits inside. The driveshaft yoke then slips over the tailshaft, and into this bushing to keep everything aligned at the end of the output shaft. They wear just like everything else.

I got my current front and rear T5 seals from Vic Brit, they were the same ones that were from Napa. I think the rear with the shield was $11 and the front about $5.

I bought 3 front and 3 rear seals for the T5 from Nissan about five years ago. It's weird, though, as all three of the rear seals don't have the large dust shield even though they are the correct part number. They do fit properly in the tailshaft housing and the driveshaft fits as well.

I decided to use the Vic Brit seals instead of Nissan on my current T5 to see how they hold up. After almost six months, I still have no leaks!

Aaron

• 7 months later...

Just ordered a few. Great work Yashin! Now has anyone found a source for the tiny seal that is inside the speedo gear housing? You can only see it if you push out the roll pin and take the gear out of the housing. I figured it would have been an O ring but there is a seal in there!

• 1 year later...

Also this collar that is pictured, I would assume it faces the rear of the car and helps keep dust and debris away from the yoke/seal?

I'm curious about this too. I had a driveline shop make me a driveshaft, but it ended up being too long and blew the output shaft seal.

I ordered the NAPA seal from SKF seen above, but I can't really figure out which way it's supposed to point haha.

If the collar points to the rear of the car, would the ID seal fit in the housing but the OD rubber keep it from going in? (there's about a half centimeter of metal surrounding the opening to the tailshaft ) The seal that was in the car was just a simple piece without the collar, so I'm confused haha.

OK so I found it in the '83 280ZX FSM, but I'm still not clear on exactly how it's supposed to fit ( and it's not very clear ).

The inner diameter rubber seal fits fine, but the outer flange surrounding the inner rubber impedes the whole assembly from fitting on because it impacts the metal collar of the housing since it's too big.

296793775.jpg

See what I mean?

Ideas? Pictures?

i work at napa, besides the dust boot itself, im almost positive in the book will show more than one style seal with the exact ID/OD if measured by the spec of the original seal. some may have dust boots as pictured above. some have stop flanges so it can only press in to far. some has rubber style dust boots and some has none. only we cant predict where the seals are made from as some are made in china, japan, mexico, USA but comes in the same boxes.

if im correct, you guys are trying to figure out how to install this? i havent worked on a t5 at all but the last time i installed one of these on a different trans, i used a piece of exhuast pipe to slide inside the seal to the deepest/hard point and tap it in with a rubber hammer.

Edited by piston
edit

The seal does work.

In my case, the driveshaft I had made for my car ended up being too long and blew out the output shaft seal. Not only that, but it curled the metal lip of the housing over to the point where it looked like the housing opening was much smaller. Had to sand it down.

It's a perfect fit now!

Wait, this wasn't common knowledge? I've been running that seal in my T5 for almost a year with no issues or leaks at all. I would have posted earlier had I known.

While I'm at it, everyone knows that there is also a SKF seal that allows 280ZX tripod companion flanges to go on a 240Z without having to butcher an R200 front seal, right?