HybridZ

Tips for modifying,upgrading,or restoring a Z on a budget.

MJLamberson

I figure it would be a good idea to share our cheap fixes or money saving tricks in one place, for instance:

I found the genaric weatherstripping from kragen works perfectly on 280z doors, 20$ will cover both doors.

I know you guys have a lot of these "tricks" so share 'em, maybe even cheap products that really work.

Ace Hardware has felt weatherstripping that is a perfect replacement for the door panel window felt. You can buy one roll for $8 if I remember correctly.

Mcmastercarr.com has the top window channel weatherstripping in 8 foot lengths for $11 each. You need two of them to complete both doors.

You can "rent" tools for free from Autozone. You simply put down a deposit that you get back when you return the tool. It's great for renting speciality tools that you will only use once or twice.

Still hung over and that is all that is coming to my pickled brain right now.

Your title doesn't match the posted subject. How about we change it to "Tips for modifying,upgrading, or restoring your Z car on a budget." If it generates enough ideas we'll sticky it...:wink:

LARRY

Not sure how to change the title... stripped thread repair kits work great, saved my a thermostat housing

Use black silicone sealer to patch holes, tears, or cracks in the rubber trim pieces on early bumpers. Apply it from the tube using an old business card for smoothing. Let it dry over night and then treat the rubber trim with your favorite trim dressing. Keep the suggestions coming!

Dennis

1971 240Z

Original Owner

Window Channel Felt (from Classiczcars.com)

"www.jcwhitney.com

The catalog item number for the part is 18GA-4874U.

Now here s the tricky part. The letters in the catalog number can be different depending on which issues of the JC Whitney catalog your looking at. But if you call the order line and tell the person you want part # 18-4874, you ll get the right stuff. It s description is "Rubber Window Channel 9/16 " x 17/32 ". It comes in an 8-ft. piece. Which is almost enough to do both sides, but not quite. So, you have to order 2 pieces. The price when I ordered was $6.99 each. "

This may sound stupid, but I came to a conclusion that this is the only formula that is true to whatever you do in you Z...

...it's just about keeping things as simple as possible. Having restored a Z and being in the middle of modifying, I learned that actually most of the simpliest things that I did worked best. I'm still to check if these simple things survive on the racetrack, but I'm convinced that the first thing that is going to break will be something complicated and/or expensive.

Not really a mod but some advice learned the hard way...

If at all possible, resist the temptation to impulse buy expensive parts or parts that "look like" they will work.

There should be a 72 hour "cool-down" period when considering purchases over ~$50. I'm still in the learning process. :D

• Like 1

That is very wise Hugh. Last summer before my car was even painted and partially back together I was trying to convince my dad to let me buy an intercooler for down the road.... never convinced him but glad I didnt buy it.

The lesson that can be learned is buy what you need and think before you cut, dissassemble, or rip apart anything. It will save you alot of money down the road.

• 3 months later...

But I have found having two cars (one together and one apart) help you figure out how to put one back together : )

Ok, now for a cheap one, 70-78 headliner repair/replacement. Locate a local fabric store that deals in automotive materials (ie headliner material) and buy 2 square yards (cause one square yard is 5" too little). Buy 3M headliner adhesive (3M only, don't get cheap here). Remove old headliner for template, cut out a new one and install using instructions on 3M can. Approximate cost $35, do two cars at once approximate cost $40. Since there is enough glue for two cars easily.