HybridZ

Replacing starter relay...off the shelf parts?

crazy280

Hi guys,

I have a '73 240z with a bad starter relay. I priced it at the dealer for ~$35. That seemed a bit high for just a small electrical component, and it would also take at least a week to order it. Then I had an idea to find a generic relay (I assume "parts is parts" right?), so I called Radioshack, and they carry "automotive relays". Now, I don't know much about electrical components, but as an example, the guy said they have a "12v 30amp automotive relay" for $6.50. My question is, would something like this work to replace the starter relay in my Z (or if not, what "specs" does it need to have)?

I was under the impression that the Z's didnt use starter relays... perhaps solenoid is bad? When I rewired my car I used the radioshack part you mentioned for all of the relays (including a starter relay that I added). I think it should work just fine for most auto applications (of course, to be fair, I am a bit partial since I work there)