HybridZ

my 260z is totaled

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Shells are cheap, sometimes free. Take this opportunity to do use everything you've learned the hard way. It's taken me years to build my car and it's no where near done, but if I had to do it again I feel like it would only take me a few months to get to back to where I am today and it would be done better.

Well, your Z may be totaled, maybe repairable, just think about it for a couple of days. If the shell itself is a waste, hang onto the car and find a better shell and swap the parts over. You may even end up with a nicer Z than you have now. If you decide to let it go, I am sure many of us would take it off your hands and rebuild it with another shell. Do not rush your decision. Just be thankful nobody was hurt. I know and feel your pain, as I had a similar experience once.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

Stay strong, and rebuild!!!

Datsun40146- I doubt thats what he needs to hear right now...

Doesn't change the facts. That is a major repair.

At least no one was hurt and you are not in jail or facing a lawsuit. All in all a tough thing to happen but lucky none the less.

Get a new shell and start swapping parts.

WOW...that sucks! But you are OK! Im sure many of us have tempted fate....you got stung.

I say dont do anything with the car like sell or part it out until you get over this shocker. When your mind is clear then consider your options.

If it was me....looks like quite the parts car so I would be looking for another "better" Z knowing I have lots of parts and know how.

I agree with Pop N Woods.

Good luck

Dang, you are lucky. Im not in your shoes, but close calls like that are supposed to change people. You could have died then and there, be happy you are alive and healthy.

On the other hand, I would use the insurance money to get another car going. I would have all that stuff swapped in no time... on with your life dude :mrgreen:

If life gives you lemons make lemonade!!

Remember the things about the car you did not like? Now is your chance to get the car body you wanted and transfer the best’s parts to it...

It’s a chance to start over...

I just picked up a great 280 for $3,000.00.

I just fell in love with it!

Now you have a great parts car...

Your very very lucky you did not get hurt. The car would have not mattered if you had....

I went through the same emotions over the Labor Day weekend 2007.

I slide my Z into a curb while auto-x racing and had to trailer it home. I was very fortunate in that no-one was hurt (I had a passenger with me) and the damage was mostly to the right side suspension.

I agonized for a week or two and looked around for a replacement shell but in the end decided to fix the car I already had.

After looking at the pictures I'd say the shell is probably repairable but it needs MAJOR work. The biggest thing I saw was the rocker panel and the left rear wheel cocked at a bad angle. This leads me to conclude your unibody is bent on that side. A frame shop could probably pull it out and you could either replace or straighten the other damaged parts.

So take some time to work through the emotions and then maybe have a shop or two look it over. Based on that it will be easier to make a decision you feel comfortable with.

Wheelman

I went through the same emotions over the Labor Day weekend 2007.

I slide my Z into a curb while auto-x racing and had to trailer it home. I was very fortunate in that no-one was hurt (I had a passenger with me) and the damage was mostly to the right side suspension.

I agonized for a week or two and looked around for a replacement shell but in the end decided to fix the car I already had.

After looking at the pictures I'd say the shell is probably repairable but it needs MAJOR work. The biggest thing I saw was the rocker panel and the left rear wheel cocked at a bad angle. This leads me to conclude your unibody is bent on that side. A frame shop could probably pull it out and you could either replace or straighten the other damaged parts.

So take some time to work through the emotions and then maybe have a shop or two look it over. Based on that it will be easier to make a decision you feel comfortable with.

Wheelman

the body in my opinoin would be more trouble than its worth to fix.

i dont know about the wheel and left rear suspension. the tire is touching the spring and rubbing. when i looked at the a-arm it doesnt look bent, nor does the strut.i think it broke the stub axle when it hit, because i can pull on the wheel and it moves off of the spring.

i guess i will find out tomorrow when i start sizing up the damage.

this has been an eye opener at how fast thing can go bad, especialy when your acting stupid and disrespecting a car that demands the upmost respect.

i thank god that i walked away with only a couple scratches.

Guest TeamNissan

I'm sorry to hear about this. That said....

Isn't the journey half the fun? Are any of use truly ever "finished" modifying, upgrading etc.. our dream cars? When ever things like this happen to me (and they have) I just use it as a excuse to do it again better. I know its so disheartning to experience something you have poured your heart and soul into destroyed but when it comes down to it money is paper and metal comes from the ground. Your alive and able to get right back at it.

Whats the alternative? To quit? Never modify or build a car again? Come on now, it should take WAY more then a accident to keep someone from their passion.

That sucks, but since you both walked away, you got out cheap. It's a thought that's always in the back of my head, the ability to go to fast to fast. I think it takes more than stained shorts and bent metel to kill the Z bug. hell of a parts car.

Man, I had that horrible moment years ago in my NA Z32. It was absolutely the worst day of my life... Glad you didn't post this on twinturbo.net, there's a lot of heartless elitist pricks there that would have wished the car made it, not you, and would have let you know that; that's what they did to me years ago, haha

Take the parts car route, and get to swapping, I agree. Best of luck,

-Willens

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the point of impact...you are DAMN lucky! You were blessed, a "stupid mistake" or not, you had a Guardian Angel that night. Walk away from it with the lessons. If the roof is creased as you said, DUMP THE CAR. Shells or bases from which to start a project are WAY too plentiful to bother 'trying' to get it straight again.

I've had some pretty twisted cars from accidents. They NEVER drive the same with [fixed] structural damage like that... My .02