HybridZ

L6 heads; pics and descriptions

OlderThanMe

Veritech-Z has this N42 closed chamber cylinder head with round exhaust ports.

Exhaust ports look like they could have been square at one time with the round liner/disc mounted in over it?

DSCI0011-1.jpg

It looks like the quench pads are flush...not sure though.

Doesn't the regular N42 have a wedge shaped chamber similar to the E88 chamber?

*edit*never mind that last comment. Blue72 answered my question below.*edit*

...This is why I'm nervous to post on here haha. You guys are serious about everything being exactly right.

I pulled my N47 head off my 78 last week and it has round exhaust ports that square off on the way back into the cylinder. In this thread the only other N series head I saw with round ports was the N42 pic I quoted above. I did some home-porting on mine as there is a lip [picture below] that made a big notch on the top side of the Exhaust ports. I cut grinded them off on my head. [The left one was untouched in this picture sorry it is hard to see]:

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

Once again I apologize if this is irrelevant

• 2 weeks later...
Guest agentc73

Here's an interesting head:

A FACTORY E88 quench head!!!

My old Pictures 615_thumb.jpg

My old Pictures 618_thumb.jpg

My old Pictures 619_thumb.jpg

And a quick question for the seasoned vets, plz, respectfully:

What pistons would you use with this one on the street, IF I buy it?

Pros?

Cons?

• Administrators
Here's an interesting head:

A FACTORY E88 quench head!!!

[ATTACH]8849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8851[/ATTACH]

That is NOT a quench head! Note how the entire chamber that is directly over the piston, is sunk into the head? That is an open pocket when the piston at TDC. A quench head has the actual chamber that is directly over some portion of the piston to be flush with the deck of the of the head, or the piston will have dome that fills any void in the open portion of the chamber at TDC, factory Datsun L-series pistons don't.

Guest agentc73

Ok, now I'm seriously confused.

from what I gather,

THIS is the normal open chamber head E88

b62811619_thumb.jpg

And This is the head that I speak of

8885_thumb.attach

It's certainly not Open chamber.:shock:

And why is everyone telling me they are exactly the same?

Uhhhh....:confused:

Looks to me like the E31 style E88.

But I'll shut up and listen...

• Administrators

It's certainly not Open chamber.:shock:

Both of those heads are, in fact, open chamber.

Go back to post #1 of this thread. Picture 1 illustrates an open chamber. Picture 5 illustrates a closed chamber. The semi-clean aluminum (near the bottom of the picture) is the quench area (If an appropriate piston is used).

Guest agentc73

OK.

I see the "flat" or "quench area" (I use this loosely here)

in the pic I posted does NOT reach the deck surface.

So, what would this E88 be called?

Semi quench E88?

OK.

I see the "flat" or "quench area" (I use this loosely here)

in the pic I posted does NOT reach the deck surface.

So, what would this E88 be called?

Semi quench E88?

You need to quit posting and go back to searching and reading. No such thing as semi-quench. Quench happens when the piston and chamber are very close to each other. No part of that chamber is close to the piston, except maybe a ridge around the outside. Go search and read, you'll find all the info you could want on this topic.

Yes, that is possible to do. However, there are four different E88 head castings, all are open chamber, even though some are more "closed" than others. I still haven't figured out if the 260Z spec E88 is in any way different, other than possibly greater valve unshrouding due to the chamber shaping.

Yes, that is possible to do. However, there are four different E88 head castings, all are open chamber, even though some are more "closed" than others. I still haven't figured out if the 260Z spec E88 is in any way different, other than possibly greater valve unshrouding due to the chamber shaping.

There are some VERY early E88's that are exactly like an E31. I should dig through my heads and see if I can take a picture of it.

There are some VERY early E88's that are exactly like an E31. I should dig through my heads and see if I can take a picture of it.

That is one of the heads that this thread lacks at this point.

I went through it all about a week ago, and most everything else is in there as far as photos of stock or near stock pieces.

It seems to suffer some from disorganization though. One of the more confusing issues (as is seen here) is the subtle differences in E88 castings, and even I am left somewhat mystified on that subject after looking through the thread. (I have seen literally dozens of E88s, and there have been times when I sat and studied the different chambers side by side a LITTLE bit, but I still need to look at photos to provide myself a mental reference of which is which)

Would any of the original authors and photographers involved take offense if I were to spend some time, plagiarize some other people's words, and type up a single, clear, concise post with pictures and complete text descriptions (I am thinking rip off 1 fast Z's post largely for the descriptions and include any photos of any head posted yet..)

Would a "re-post" of all that to make it one clear picture at this point be superfluous waste of bandwidth, or valuable improvement to the thread as a reference source? I wouldn't have a problem with letting it simply get copied back into the initial post on this thread if that is deemed wisest..

I am almost trying to get a mini wiki mentality started on this subject. Katayama knows we've got enough subtle variations to spawn internet misinformation for the next eon or so.....

I was thinking about organizing all of my heads, and taking lots of comparison photos. I have about 30 L series heads, which include all of the US heads, as well as the E30 setup. I would like to complete my collection with a couple of the over seas heads, that we never recived. :)

I was thinking about organizing all of my heads, and taking lots of comparison photos. I have about 30 L series heads, which include all of the US heads, as well as the E30 setup. I would like to complete my collection with a couple of the over seas heads, that we never recived. :)

I can't call it "mine" but between my uncle, my old man, and my brothers we have around 30 L6 heads or so as well. We have other L4 heads, too, but if I am not mistaken they are all bolted down to blocks :rolleyesg

It'll probably take me a couple weeks because of my housing situation right now, but I'll go ahead and do that cut and paste job. The photos are really the critical part; once they get posted somewhere with the descriptions of the heads that have already been penned, I think we might see a slight surge in the understanding levels among the lower echelons and newbies here.. When I was first really coming into my own in terms of L-6 knowledge, I know I cursed the lack of photos on the diverse "Head Description Page"s I was using for research; I suspect actually SEEING things like a closed, high quench combustion chamber as opposed to the open chamber might help many understand some of the more subtle differences betwixt the two.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if any N47s were made without the Exhaust liners? I pulled the N47 off of my ATK-rebuilt motor and it did not have liners in it. I was talking with a friend and he thought the PO probably had them cut out. The N47 I just pulled off of my new motor did have liners and im sure has not been rebuilt.

• Administrators

I haven’t heard of the N-47 being manufactured with-out the liners, though that is not to say it didn’t happen. shrug.gif

HS30-H or 1 fast Z are pretty savvy regarding what was and was-not offered from Datsun/Nissan. Maybe one of them will comment?...

Any chance you could post detailed pics of those exhaust ports? Preferably from both perspectives, though the valve seat and the manifold face?

• Like 1

Well, I took pictures of both my N47s. I actually posted some pictures of my non-sleeved head above, I thought thats how it came. Little did I know! I havent put the new pictures on my computer yet but hopefully tonight I'll get that done. I also smoothed out my exhaust ports so it won't really be an accurate view of what was done previously to the head.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an N42 block and head the other day. The head looks like an N42 until I had a closer look and noticed that the intakes weren't notched and the head not drilled and tapped for EFI. :shock:

Has anyone seen this and can anyone suggest why this N42 isn't like all the others I've seen?

Cheers people.

unique N42 001 small_thumb.JPG

unique N42 002 small_thumb.JPG

unique N42 003 small_thumb.JPG

unique N42 004 small_thumb.JPG