HybridZ

1987 300zx non-turbo elecrical problems

Guest mr. datsun

Guest mr. datsun

OK, OK, I've heard that these particular models are known to have electrical gremlins and now I'm face with one. There seems to be an open ground that is robbing the fuel injection system.

The upper half of the motor (cylinder heads and intakes) have been rebuilt/new gaskets ect., and I'm still getting a rough idle. The battery goes dead after about 4 days of sitting.

The volt gauge reads 14+, but the red battery light fades in and out slightly on the dash panel light at idle, but disappears at high revs. Bad fusible links or ignition relays? If anyone has experienced this or knows where I can track it, please let me know.

First Check your battery cables thoroughly, both ends. Usually on these cars the original strap clamp goes bad from overtightening (to be charitable really just a crappy design). So then some meathead in Les Schwab cuts that off and puts one of those clamp on types which after a couple years develop corrosion cancer badly down the cable inside the insulation. If your cables are clean, tight and not corroded then drive to a reputable battery shop (some sort of name brand not Wal-Mart) and have them load test the battery. They can usually also check the charging system. Everybody jumps to the conclusion that the alternator is the culprit when really it is the battery and cabling that is the problem of course changing the alternator fixes the problem because they also redo the cables and put in a new battery. I would reccommend Interstate. In 30 years I have had only one Interstate go bad on me. They replaced in for free when I had it checked as it was giving my 280zx bad vibes. They will usually last far beyond the warranty Period whereas all other batteries I have used will die one day after the 60 months is up. I just replaced one on my 85zxt that was nine years old and still going strong. Guy said why replace but I like to be ahead of troubles.

Guest mr. datsun

...for posting to my thread. Yep, the alternator (which was a Mitsubshi reman) had a bad diode. The battery cable posts had been cut and had the crappy style clamps. I replaced the alternator with a Hitachi and new cables.

The one design flaw I noticed on this 1987 300ZX is that the power steering pump sits above the alternator. You guessed it, the pump seals were leaking and soaking the hell out of the alternator with fluid. Not a good thing.

I also went back in and die-electric greased every electrical connection around the motor I could lay my hands on. Apparently, bad and/or corroded connections was a sore point with repair shops with this particular style of Z.

Once again, thanks!

mr. datsun