HybridZ

260Z Suspension vs 240Z Suspension

I am just getting into Datsun cars, and I have acquired a 1970 240z. The car is in very nice shape, but there was one major problem - lack of a title. I solved this by finding a parts Datsun, a 1974 260Z. I am in the process of dismantling the 260Z and saving any usable parts. All that I have left to dismantle is the engine, transmission, front suspension, and rear suspension.

This brings me to the question at hand. After looking in the Haynes manual, there are a few differences with the front and rear coils. The 260 is made of thicker material, and has more turns. The 260 has a rear sway bar, and my 240 does not.

What I would really like to know is, Would it be worth it for me to take out the front and rear suspension from the 260z to install into my 240z, or is it a big waste of time. Note: I plan to install a smallblock Ford V-8 and T-5 transmission, along with a Thunder Ranch GTO Body kit.

At the very least, I plan to swap the rear sway bar.

Any information and help would be much appreciated.

It all depends if your 260 is an early 260s (240Z carryover) or a late 260Z (early 280Z). The 280Z has larger OD strut tubes, stronger front and rear lower control arms, and a different front hub offset. The rear strut tube is also about 2" longer then the corresponding 240Z part. The differences are enough that you just can't slap the 280Z struts into a 240Z without doing some strut tube sectioning.

Compare the strut tube OD of the 260Z with the 240Z to determine if you have a late or early 260Z. 240Z strut tubes have a 2" OD and the 280Z tubes are 2.17".

Another difference is the late 260z/280z fronts have the spring perch about 1" lower on the strut and therefore will not take a rim with more than approx 4.5" of backspace without coilovers (well that is what I have found out here in NZ with our RHD cars anyway - Rota RB 15x8 +12 and Rota RB-R 16x8 +10 will fit my 240z fine (these have approx 4.9" of backspace) but not my 260z as the rims fowl on the spring perch of the 260z struts, only on the fronts rears are fine)

• 6 months later...
you can put 280 housings on a 240 but it jacks the car up, i've done it, kinda a rally car look ;)

'Round here we call that an "El Cajon Lift." Probably meaningless to the rest of the country but for folks in San Diego, it conjures up a very specific image. :)

• 6 months later...

So here's a related question. If you put 280Z stuff on a 240Z, it will raise it. What about the reverse? If you put 240Z struts and springs on a 280Z, would it lower it a bit? I'm asking because when I remove the complete suspension from my '71 240Z to install my coilover setup, which I did using some extra struts, I was planning on giving the stock 240Z stuff to a friend of mine to install on his 280Z. Will it work?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Touching on this without starting a new thread, I have a set of Koni adjustable rear shocks from back when my dad owned a 72 240Z. They are in mint shape, been in the garage as my mom wrote the car off after someone pulled out in front of her before he had a chance to install them.

I have an early 74 260Z. These shocks should fit my 260 correct? I intend on measuring them when I pull the old ones out but i'm just curious as to save myself some trouble.

Been there, tried that it will not work. My 280Z went so far down it was crazy, looked like a low rider with ridiculous camber. I wish I had taken picts but I didn't. It was a lot of work that all had to be undone.

So here's a related question. If you put 280Z stuff on a 240Z, it will raise it. What about the reverse? If you put 240Z struts and springs on a 280Z, would it lower it a bit? I'm asking because when I remove the complete suspension from my '71 240Z to install my coilover setup, which I did using some extra struts, I was planning on giving the stock 240Z stuff to a friend of mine to install on his 280Z. Will it work?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to jump in and say thanks. Unfortunately, I rarely post as I find the search button to be my best friend as I almost ALWAYS get the answers I need. I am currently stock piling parts to complete my 260, I had my parts guy source struts (KYB's) and he asked me if my 260 was early or late. I needed this answer in a bad way and vwalla! Point is, I think this thread is actually pretty important to the whole suspension of the Z cars and perhaps a sticky would be helpful and some of our veteran Z builders could possibly add to this already informative thread....?

Just an idea and didn't mean to hijack the topic, thanks again to the entire Hybrid community for such an outstanding forum.

Sticky sticky! lol

T